Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Slaf as a 19 year old sophomore is around 20th in scoring compared to rookies this year. He's around 4th or 5th in scoring compared to his 2022 draft cohort, behind a dman and a 2nd round pick. Enough with the false excuses to justify your vision. He's in the NHL, that's what you wanted - he's also producing at a 3rd liner's rate, I don't think you wanted that. Maybe it's part of his development trajectory, maybe this development trajectory is agnostic to his potential output in his career, or maybe it isn't.
Slafkovsky is the 7th youngest player in the league with more than 11 games played.

Reactions: Pomee

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
What does this have to do with the age argument you tried to pull? He's 4th among 2022 draftees and would be 5th among 2023 draftees in terms of total points, Nemec has the same PPG as him so right now in terms of total points he's ranked 8th, in terms of PPG he's around 9th. I am not convinced by this output for a 1OA, when he's outproduced by a dman and a second round pick from his draft cohort. But that's just this year, and only so far, we will see how the rest of the season plays out.
Ryan Nugent Hopkins is a terrible hockey player with no IQ or playmaking ability.

Do you want proof?

There are FOUR players from his cohort who have scored more points than him!!! One was drafted 3rd and another one, unbelievably, at 7th. Oh my God. And then to show how crap RNH truly is, there is a second rounder leading all players and who has an Art Ross to his name, AND A 4th ROUNDER in second spot life to date.

Reactions: Pomee and SlafySZN

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
"Unicorn" is a figure of speech. The point is that there aren't precedents for Slafkovsky as he's exceptional, in part by being 6'4, 240 lbs, and a very good skater.
I have no idea how tall slaf actually is tbh, I see 6’3 6’4 and people use them interchangeably all the time

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The point is, as far as my life as a Habs fan, unicorns don’t exist and struggling prospects who look completely lost don’t turn into impact players.
"Struggling prospect who looks completely lost?"

If you are talking about Juraj Slafkovsky, then you are demonstrating why it seems people are ganging up on you, as one poster complained.

More people RESPOND to you, because each of them probably feels as I do that your critiques are wildly exaggerated and yet stated with total assurance and a brin of condescension. You often paint all Slafkovsky supporters as being lapdogs for management and yes that gets people's backs up. Personally, I've never been one to blindly agree with every decision or statement by the club. I can sometimes be wrong in my predictions, but that is not what is maddening. If you projected Slafkovsky to be a 55 point player and me a 75 point player, I would not take that personally. But if I start to feel I am being called an idiot and an asss kisser, I'm going to make counter-arguments. Never ad hominem though. I have not attacked you as a person, just disagree with your takes, so frequently made.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Ryan Nugent Hopkins is a terrible hockey player with no IQ or playmaking ability.

Do you want proof?

There are FOUR players from his cohort who have scored more points than him!!! One was drafted 3rd and another one, unbelievably, at 7th. Oh my God. And then to show how crap RNH truly is, there is a second rounder leading all players and who has an Art Ross to his name, AND A 4th ROUNDER in second spot life to date.
Silly diversion. It has nothing to do with the argument. You cite Slafkovsky's age to excuse his production and then don't mention it at all in follow-ups where he looks behind others in his age cohort (and younger). Stick with the topic -> you're convinced he's been developed in an optimal manner, yet he's behind his age cohort. Other than "big boys take longer to develop" do you have any other theory why he's been so relatively underproductive?

I see not even Christmas stopped the usual whiner from posting almost a dozen times in Slaf threads. Really sad at this point.
Listen pal, I enjoy talking hockey and figuring out how players develop. I like exchanging ideas and think this is genuinely fun to follow. If you feel so strongly about this to the point of insulting me, I'd prefer if you used the ignore list and didn't refer to me at all.

"Struggling prospect who looks completely lost?"

If you are talking about Juraj Slafkovsky, then you are demonstrating why it seems people are ganging up on you, as one poster complained.
He looked completely lost last year and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Even the Habs organization alluded to his struggles last year. We have eyes, we saw a struggling prospect. If you think it's condescending of me to bring it up, I don't know what to tell you -- if we can't agree that Slafkovsky struggled last year then we shouldn't discuss Slafkovsky with each other because we can't agree on something I believe to be a basic, plain fact.

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Silly diversion. It has nothing to do with the argument. You cite Slafkovsky's age to excuse his production and then don't mention it at all in follow-ups where he looks behind others in his age cohort (and younger). Stick with the topic -> you're convinced he's been developed in an optimal manner, yet he's behind his age cohort. Other than "big boys take longer to develop" do you have any other theory why he's been so relatively underproductive?

Listen pal, I enjoy talking hockey and figuring out how players develop. I like exchanging ideas and think this is genuinely fun to follow. If you feel so strongly about this to the point of insulting me, I'd prefer if you used the ignore list and didn't refer to me at all.

He looked completely lost last year and I'm not the only one who thinks so. Even the Habs organization alluded to his struggles last year. We have eyes, we saw a struggling prospect. If you think it's condescending of me to bring it up, I don't know what to tell you -- if we can't agree that Slafkovsky struggled last year then we shouldn't discuss Slafkovsky with each other because we can't agree on something I believe to be a basic, plain fact.
He looked even more lost kicking off this year. That extra moment he seems to have gained by reading the play ahead of time recently instead of strictly reacting is really noticeable, let’s hope he keeps it up.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
So you agree he is not meant to be compared to other 1OAs of other drafts, but you also think the Habs did everything right last year by rushing him to the NHL like other 1OAs of other drafts?

Never said Habs did everything right.......but ''rushing'' him to the NHL is only a problem if it hurt his development and if we look at his progression between game 1 and game 72.......the progression is there.

And that's the reason other 1st overall pick usually start on the top6 right away and Slafkovsky did not.

Reactions: Pomee and 417

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He looked even more lost kicking off this year. That extra moment he seems to have gained by reading the play ahead of time recently instead of strictly reacting is really noticeable, let’s hope he keeps it up.
No he did not look 'even more lost'. He got a first audition with Suzuki and Caufield in early November because he was better already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pomee and Shutdown

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
6’3 230lbs on nhl

I just like his weight seems so much lower than last year. Much harder to knock over.
I’m suspicious about that 230. He had an official weigh in of 238, 2 years and 4 months ago @ 17 years old by his team in Ligaa. Between 17 and 19 you grow in muscle mass and bone mass. That he‘s lost so much weight is hard to believe.

Reactions: Naslundforever

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Never said Habs did everything right.......but ''rushing'' him to the NHL is only a problem if it hurt his development and if we look at his progression between game 1 and game 72.......the progression is there.

And that's the reason other 1st overall pick usually start on the top6 right away and Slafkovsky did not.
If anything, they’ve accelerated it.

Slaf should've gone to the WJC
Yes I'm sure being at the WJC is way more important for him than finally solidifying himself in the Habs top 6, producing points, etc

I agree. I think he would've enjoyed watching his boy Messi play.
He is

Just like us.

From his couch

Reactions: Milhouse40

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I’m suspicious about that 230. He had an official weigh in of 238, 2 years and 4 months ago @ 17 years old by his team in Ligaa. Between 17 and 19 you grow in muscle mass and bone mass. That he‘s lost so much weight is hard to believe.
He has said he hit his size early… 10 lbs is Less of a % at that size than our little Lane prospect for sure. Or maybe he has a funky birth certificate (although those braces and giggles last year made it look legit… or is it all an act???).

I shat like 4 lbs just this morning.

Edit I count 8 of 238 as 3.3% fat loss with no muscle gain?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad