Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I’m suspicious about that 230. He had an official weigh in of 238, 2 years and 4 months ago @ 17 years old by his team in Ligaa. Between 17 and 19 you grow in muscle mass and bone mass. That he‘s lost so much weight is hard to believe.
He doesn’t look bulky. At 240 I’d expect him to look like a linebacker.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Without necessarily being muscular he seems to have a big frame. Look at his shoulders width and jaw for a 19 year old kid
Yeah but 240 is a big number. Stephane Richer was a big dude and he topped out around 220.

Last edited:

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
3 goals 14 assists 17 points, - 12 in 33 games

3 goals 9 assists 12 points, - 3 in 33 games

One of them is the superstar we should've drafted (say the same people who would've apparently drafted Wright anyways) and the other is the guy we drafted.

Even if we were just stat watching... it ain't a big difference

Yes, and the first one is 40% in 5v5 advanced stats (corsi, expected goals), while the other one is 50%, and around 60% since joining Suzuki and Caufield.

I haven’t watched Cooley a lot, but 40% share of scoring chances means you spend a lot of time in your zone and/or create nothing in the ozone. 60% is a dominant.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Never said Habs did everything right.......but ''rushing'' him to the NHL is only a problem if it hurt his development and if we look at his progression between game 1 and game 72.......the progression is there.
Are you satisfied with his progression? That’s perfect, good and all. I would never doubt you if you said you’re satisfied.

I am not. I am truly not. I am convinced he would’ve been better off in the short term and long term, and the team would’ve been better off too, if he wasn’t rushed. But I haven’t argued about this ever since it was confirmed Slaf was gonna stay in the NHL.

I accept it. There is no argument left, is there? You can’t litigate someone’s feeling or impressions of a player. You might think Slafkovsky is the bee’s knees, but really, do you mind that I am not enamoured with him yet? We have different tastes and expectations.

And that's the reason other 1st overall pick usually start on the top6 right away and Slafkovsky did not.
He wasn’t capable of keeping up in the NHL, which perfectly explains why he couldn’t accomplish anything good last year.

Only a handful of commentators would deny that Slafkovsky struggled to perform last year… I try to find common ground with people before arguing about differences but I can’t find common ground with people who said Slafkovsky did well in the NHL last year.

Earlier, you mentioned I’ve been tilted against Hughes since the 2023 Draft. Not true, it’s since they kept Slafkvosky in the NHL. I didn’t trust their vision or their standards. I still don’t. The results aren’t there, so it isn’t like I’m making things up — let them earn some respect by making good moves that improve the team. Maybe Slafkovsky will be one of these good moves — I’d be a true believer then.

Reactions: 70Stang

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Sometimes I ask myself if some of the fans in here are really fans... How can you watch Slaf play these past few weeks and be nothing short of excited of what could be possible in his future.

I think some people enjoy the pessimistic view so they won’t be let down lol. Back in November I wrote a post about Slaf really improving along the boards and I could see the points starting to come from that improvement and someone told me that’s like trying to complement someone’s insufferable ugly gf? :laugh:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Are you satisfied with his progression? That’s perfect, good and all. I would never doubt you if you said you’re satisfied.

I am not. I am truly not. I am convinced he would’ve been better off in the short term and long term, and the team would’ve been better off too, if he wasn’t rushed. But I haven’t argued about this ever since it was confirmed Slaf was gonna stay in the NHL.

I accept it. There is no argument left, is there? You can’t litigate someone’s feeling or impressions of a player. You might think Slafkovsky is the bee’s knees, but really, do you mind that I am not enamoured with him yet? We have different tastes and expectations.

He wasn’t capable of keeping up in the NHL, which perfectly explains why he couldn’t accomplish anything good last year.

Only a handful of commentators would deny that Slafkovsky struggled to perform last year… I try to find common ground with people before arguing about differences but I can’t find common ground with people who said Slafkovsky did well in the NHL last year.

Earlier, you mentioned I’ve been tilted against Hughes since the 2023 Draft. Not true, it’s since they kept Slafkvosky in the NHL. I didn’t trust their vision or their standards. I still don’t. The results aren’t there, so it isn’t like I’m making things up — let them earn some respect by making good moves that improve the team. Maybe Slafkovsky will be one of these good moves — I’d be a true believer then.
Honest question...by what measurable will you declare Slaf a good move and thus become a true believer?

Are your measurable points, eye test, comparable to other 1st overalls, comparable to his draft class.

For me, by the end of 2025 I expect him to be the best player from his draft class. Combination of points, advanced stats and eye test. If he's not there at that time, and depending on the gap between him and others, I will firmly declare for or against. As of now.....as you know....I am for this player and for this draft pick. All signs point to yes. We shall see.

So please....let us all know what your standards are that Slaf has to meet.

Reactions: Pomee

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
As of now.....as you know....I am for this player and for this draft pick. All signs point to yes. We shall see.
All signs do not point to yes. I don’t want to get mired in arguments with everyone but what’s the deal with these statements? Are you serious? He’s on pace for 29pts!!! Two games ago he was on pace for 20pts!!

So please....let us all know what your standards are that Slaf has to meet.
Unless some players totally eclipse him, I don’t care if he’s the best of his draft class or one of the best.

What matters more is if the Habs drafted a productive high-impact forward like we needed from the first of two tank picks.

If he shows he can produce like a serious skill player, I don’t think there’s anything to worry about.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

You're expectation is all base on the rank he was drafted.
He's a 1st overall so he should be.....

People expected Wright to be a high-end 2nd line center with a slim chance to be 1st line center and he was seen for most of that year as the defacto 1st overall. That should have been your expectation all along.

Personnally I said multiple time that the choice was between a 60-65 points winger or center and you go with the center (I was a Wright first and Cooley second).

So yeah, I'm satisfied with his progression mostly because there is a progression, now we need to be patient enough to see where this progression will take him. Never saw a whole lot of progression in KK's game over the first 2-3 years.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I see not even Christmas stopped the usual whiner from posting almost a dozen times in Slaf threads. Really sad at this point.
Incredible isn’t it?

Crying for him to score points and analyze every games where he doesn’t get points but it’s crickets about him having 5 points in his last 4 games (2 goals, 3 assists). Still not enough.

Reactions: Tyson and Pomee

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Would it be possible for this and other player discussions to have the first post, or the 2nd one in the thread be dedicated to clips and whatnot of nice passes that did, or didn't result in a goal, hits, nice plays, etc. ?

Sometimes it's a slow night for hockey, or even in the offseason to see the collection.

Reactions: ReHabs

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
LOL!!!

"Underwhelming from time to time" - does that mean he is not creating two scoring chances per shift?

//

'Underwhelming from time to time even now'. A most unfair assessment to use as a complaint.

He makes boneheaded plays that I never thought I would see a NHL 1st OA pick make but he’s getting coached on those so they’re less frequent now.

After that you can write a wall of text telling me what I can and cannot think, imagine that I’m complaining about Slaf, etc.

I never complained about that pick, didn’t agree with the doomsayers last year but this year it’s funny to see the pendulum swing back.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
All signs do not point to yes. I don’t want to get mired in arguments with everyone but what’s the deal with these statements? Are you serious? He’s on pace for 29pts!!! Two games ago he was on pace for 20pts!!
Based on how he is playing relative to his draft class. Points, game impact, subjective eye test, development curve and his overall impact on the game, I would say... yes as of now we made the right choice. He has been our best forward for several games now. Nothing to sniff at for a 19 year old playing on an offensively deficient team.

I also believe that my opinion is not only supported by the majority of fans but also our hockey staff. Many of us have seen this better play coming. Many of us since last year.

My measurables are a combination of those things. I still think it'll be the end of his third season before we can more confidently declare it.

Please....I ask again....what are your measurables by which you will acknowledge the Slaf pick a success. When will we know that ReHabs approves of this draft pick?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He makes boneheaded plays that I never thought I would see a NHL 1st OA pick make but he’s getting coached on those so they’re less frequent now.

After that you can write a wall of text telling me what I can and cannot think, imagine that I’m complaining about Slaf, etc.

I never complained about that pick, didn’t agree with the doomsayers last year but this year it’s funny to see the pendulum swing back.
Generational defenceman Larry Robinson made boneheaded plays once or twice per game. That is not a sufficient criterion to label a guy as 'no IQ, can't make plays' like @ReHabs repeatedly has.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Please....I ask again....what are your measurables by which you will acknowledge the Slaf pick a success. When will we know that ReHabs approves of this draft pick?
I answered the first time, actually. I said I’d be relieved if he’s among the top producers of his cohort (he is not) and he is a high-impact productive forward for us (he is not). Maybe as soon as this season things will change. He looks much better, maybe it’ll happen very soon.

Hey, if he has more multipoint games it should be a matter of weeks.

Reactions: waitin425

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Generational defenceman Larry Robinson made boneheaded plays once or twice per game. That is not a sufficient criterion to label a guy as 'no IQ, can't make plays' like @ReHabs repeatedly has.
And you've repeatedly asserted that last year was a good and necessary season, a claim with which many observers and commentators would refute or disagree. I think three consecutive 0.3ppg seasons for a skill forward with all the tools+size is problematic, prior experience tells me this is a sign of low hockey IQ. Having observed his career to date, I have not changed my conclusion. I think he would've had a better chance at improving his playmaking if he played elsewhere. Obviously that's not happening, so it's not worth dredging up. We disagree, let's drop the topic and stop tagging me.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I answered the first time, actually. I said I’d be relieved if he’s among the top producers of his cohort (he is not) and he is a high-impact productive forward for us (he is not). Maybe as soon as this season things will change. He looks much better, maybe it’ll happen very soon.

Hey, if he has more multipoint games it should be a matter of weeks.
Forgive me....not trying to be difficult. Trying to understand and clarify. So by top producers do you mean solely based on points? Points only? No other production metrics via advanced stats?

If so, I assume when you say "he is not" a top producer of his cohort, you are referring to the fact that Cooley, Minty and Poitras have more points than him. I just did a quick search and it's tough on my phone, are there any other players from his cohort who have produced more than him in the NHL? I can't seem to find any. I know Im being exhausting here....it's my way of perspective taking Rehabs....help me understand your argument.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Forgive me....not trying to be difficult. Trying to understand and clarify. So by top producers do you mean solely based on points? Points only? No other production metrics via advanced stats?

If so, I assume when you say "he is not" a top producer of his cohort, you are referring to the fact that Cooley, Minty and Poitras have more points than him. I just did a quick search and it's tough on my phone, are there any other players from his cohort who have produced more than him in the NHL? I can't seem to find any. I know Im being exhausting here....it's my way of perspective taking Rehabs....help me understand your argument.
I don't like all this attention on myself. I don't want to have eight different conversations at the same time. Judging from flames and likes-on-flames, I know I'm not appreciated here. So please let's drop this topic and shift attention elsewhere. I want him to be the best player he can be even if I would've never drafted him with the 1OA pick and even though I don't "like" how he's been developed so far.

Right now, Slafkovsky with the benefit of a year's more of NHL training and NHL coaching over anyone in his cohort, is outproduced in PPG by four players and tied with a d-man, Nemec, for 5th. Given they're all rookies and he's the 1OA of this cohort I think that's behind. He's also behind all four 2023 draftees who are rookies in the NHL this year.

Some would say that it's a marathon not a sprint, I disagree. The biggest benefit of drafting TopX is to quickly inject high-end talent into a roster. I really don't like "long-term projects" and have elaborated on the perceived downsides many times. Just as we assume Slafkovsky will improve, and just as we excuse Slafkovsky's poor production thus far to adaptation/linemates/bad-luck, we have to assume Jiricek, Nemec, and Cooley (and Wright, and Minty, and Poitras) will improve and adapt too. Slaf is not ahead of his own draft cohort despite being the first picked among them.

So there are two tracks: 1) his net contribution to the Habs' fate and 2) his contribution compared to his cohort. If he helps the Habs win games, he'll have to score more too. That's all that matters really. But to assess the judgement of Bobrov, Gorton and others we'll have to see if Slafkovsky stands out against his cohort too... he doesn't have to be first ranked but he's behind d-men and 2nd round picks... that's not good. 75% of my criticism and mistrust is directed at the Habs organization.

Last edited:

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
"Unicorn" is a figure of speech. The point is that there aren't precedents for Slafkovsky as he's exceptional, in part by being 6'4, 240 lbs, and a very good skater.
Few last games showed us why they drafted him. In a draft where there is no Bedard, you take your chance on that mysterious beast. And that's a beast I hope we'll watch in playoffs soon enough.

Personally, I think original stats, especially assists are overrated in this game, I like good effort and teamwork to win, often, that's the third assist or good screening that lead to goals, and that's not showing on scoreboard. That's what you want to win against the best.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I don't like all this attention on myself. I don't want to have eight different conversations at the same time. Judging from flames and likes-on-flames, I know I'm not appreciated here. So please let's drop this topic and shift attention elsewhere. I want him to be the best player he can be even if I would've never drafted him with the 1OA pick and even though I don't "like" how he's been developed so far.

Right now, Slafkovsky with the benefit of a year's more of NHL training and NHL coaching over anyone in his cohort, is outproduced in PPG by four players and tied with a d-man, Nemec, for 5th. Given they're all rookies and he's the 1OA of this cohort I think that's behind. He's also behind all four 2023 draftees who are rookies in the NHL this year.

Some would say that it's a marathon not a sprint, I disagree. The biggest benefit of drafting TopX is to quickly inject high-end talent into a roster. I really don't like "long-term projects" and have elaborated on the perceived downsides many times. Just as we assume Slafkovsky will improve, and just as we excuse Slafkovsky's poor production thus far to adaptation/linemates/bad-luck, we have to assume Jiricek, Nemec, and Cooley (and Wright, and Minty, and Poitras) will improve and adapt too. Slaf is not ahead of his own draft cohort despite being the first picked among them.

So there are two tracks: 1) his net contribution to the Habs' fate and 2) his contribution compared to his cohort. If he helps the Habs win games, he'll have to score more too. That's all that matters really. But to assess the judgement of Bobrov, Gorton and others we'll have to see if Slafkovsky stands out against his cohort too... he doesn't have to be first ranked but he's behind d-men and 2nd round picks... that's not good. 75% of my criticism and mistrust is directed at the Habs organization.
Thank you for clarifying. I understand your metrics for success better.

• Haha
Reactions: 417

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think people should just accept there was no outright superstar in 2022. I get people expect a 1OVA to have instant success, but even the management said on draft day that they were seeking the best player down the road. Even by that decision process, there are no players from 2022 moving the needle for their team as of yet.

It’s going to be one of those things where we’ll have to evaluate down the road. I mean, nobody will say Eichel is better than McDavid but he has a cup. He was no passenger either… he contributed all season and that playoff run. Maybe guys like Cooley will outscore Slaf 2:1 over their careers, but if Slaf ends up being a solid regular season player and contributes in the playoffs, that is fine with me. Of course, this changes if Cooley scores like 10 GWG in the playoffs and wins the cup(s) but as of today, neither guy has won anything.

Reactions: jrom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad