Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Went to bed early before the 5-goals and missed the Slafkovsky parade. Nice surprise to wake up to! It's not a coincidence Suzuki is heating up at the same time Slafkovsky's getting stronger.

Before the season, I was hoping for 30-points in Slaf's first full year. After his slow start, I lowered my expectations to 10 points by the end of 2023. He's at 12 and counting. Since November he's been at a .5 PPG pace and is absorbing the game like a sponge. He's back on pace for that 30-point season and might even surpass it.

The kid is still a mystery box, but I'm feeling a lot better about him becoming part of our future core.
I like the fact that he's doing good things at both ends of the rink. When our D shovels weak passes along those right boards I'm more confident he can move the puck out of the zone than I am say with Josh Anderson. He's still a project but he's showing purpose and he's paired with the player best suited to help his game.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
100% agreed but if we take the example for the Habs, over the last 2 years they've integrated several players this way.

We're really in Slafkovsky's infancy as far as development goes and I expect more ups and downs as we go along, that is normal. Look at Kaiden Guhle, he's going through that right now...same with Barron or Xhekaj. It's normal for players to go through this.

We as fans just apply a different level of expectation based on where a player is drafted. Slafkovsky was a 1st overall pick, so we convince ourselves that unless he's productive immediately, he has no business being in the NHL.
It's funny; I've seen a lot more of this sentiment on Twitter from fans of other teams rather than Habs fans. Obviously, on here, we have dedicated threads on players and scrutinize them closely but there was a lot of noise the past couple of weeks, especially when he was playing well but not getting any points. A lot of "biggest bust of all time" tweets and clowning on our reporters when they would post a play that didn't lead to a goal.

But Slafkovsky is developing at HIS pace, not previous 1st overall picks and everything's he's gone through so far in the NHL has led to the current stretch he's on, even the bad games where he looked absolutely lost and so far from a typical 1st overall pick...those are part of the process.

Hoping for health and continued success with the top line.
Agreed. It's been refreshing to see, honestly. Some guys you almost have to convince yourself that they're getting better and more adjusted, but not Slaf. The proof has been in the pudding. He's been miles better than he was at any point last year and the beginning of this year.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Oh gawd, as much as I loved Lafleur. There's no way in hell he would have stayed on the team for as long as he did. Not that he was a bad person, but the local media covered up for him a lot. If half the things he did came out, just wow. lol
I hope the Habs org really crack down on what the young guys are doing at night. There were no cameras when Lafleur was f***ing up. Nor for Corson, Kordic, Svoboda, Chelios, and so on and so forth…

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'll agree with the first part. Moving Caufield might be helpful, since I think everyone and their brother knows that Suzuki and Slaf are trying to set him up. I had mentioned earlier that I liked the idea of Dach with Slaf, as I think they'd be good together. Though it's hard to argue that Suzuki and Slaf don't have pretty good chemistry together.
For me it goes beyond good chemistry. Slaf is currently progressing in the role we drafted him for. I get the knee jerk reaction where people believe Dach is our best center and want to give him all the shiny new toys. The truth is he is not our number one center nor is he our best player at this time. I doubt very much Slaf gets moved off Suzuki's wing. His game took off when he was put on Suzuki's right wing. :huh:
When Dach can assume number one status sure he'll naturally get Slaf who was always slated to play on the top line.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
It's strange to see a player that looked lost and uncoordinated turning into a player that wants to be the man on every shift. Not to be a conspiracy theorist but things started turning around after he "hung out" with a friend in Montreal.

View attachment 789197

This is 100% fact.

This is how that meeting went :

"Slaf you don't play like Olympics, you play scared. Like a little girl. When we eat dinner in Slovakia, all the time we talk about you. Talk shit about you "Slaf is not the same, Slaf lost his power blah blah blah" The president sent me here to stop you. Stop shaming Slovakia Slaf, stop being Bambi.

Ok bye Slaf."

Last edited:

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
He's been very good lately and it's awesome to see the production starting to come. Can't wait to see him gain a bit more strength so he can impose himself more physically than he is now. He's showing shades of what he will be capable of with his frame.

rik schau

Peeping has perks. lol
Mar 1, 2021
Rubibi
This 100% fact.

This is how that meeting went :

"Slaf you don't play like Olympics, you play scared. Like a little girl. When we eat dinner in Slovakia, all the time we talk about you. Talk shit about you "Slaf is not the same, Slaf lost his power blah blah blah" The president sent me here to stop you. Stop shaming Slovakia Slaf, stop being Bambi.

Ok bye Slaf."
That must be some potent eggnog! lol

• Haha
Reactions: Bahama Mama

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He's had a handful of games recently where he's producing. A decent amount of games before where he looked good, but his linemates, or himself couldn't finish the play.

He's trending upwards, which is great. His main thing is he has his head up looking for people and being aware of his time and space.

Will have to see how he finishes out the year. If he can pick up the pace a bit and reach 20 that would be great.

He's going to take time, but he's definitely trending well. Can't take 20 games to erase the previous 50, or whatever it is that he looked not too good.

Reactions: Licou and HomaridII

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I’m curious to see what a Caufield-Dach-Slaf line could do

Agreed, I think having both Suzuki and Caufield on the same line at 5v5 is not ideal even with Slaf as a winger.

Slaf - Dach - Caufield as 1st line
Newhook - Suzuki - xxx

Reactions: SlafySZN

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Agreed, I think having both Suzuki and Caufield on the same line at 5v5 is not ideal even with Slaf as a winger.

Slaf - Dach - Caufield as 1st line
Newhook - Suzuki - xxx
This with a guy like Roy or Heineman moving forward. Caufield would feast with two physical playmarkers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad