Juraj Slafkovsky - Year Two

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Where would you prefer Slaf spend his 23-24 season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Glad you are coming around. You were a little bit behind the times.
Fair is fair. Let’s see where he goes. Was always rooting for the player. Being skeptical of the management’s developmental decisions is not the same as wishing the kid failure or hoping to be proven right. I’ve been wrong so many times in the past, I’ll be wrong plenty of times in the future.

I put the Habs first, an exploding Slaf is what the Habs need, so let’s f***ing go.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
He needs to work on converting his passes to assists, but save for that, he’s a technically gifted passer anywhere else on the ice. For example, a lot of assists are shots to get a rebound. He also needs to add trying to surprise the goalie when hitting a player with a pass. But the actual technical execution of his passes is top-notch.
Its going to come.. he made a big step foward in the past 2 months.. it will plateau for a while and then you will see more step foward... and its perfectly fine!

Reactions: 417

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I think it depends on the situation the team is in. If they're competitive, probably not. But if they're slowly rebuilding, it's definitely possible.
Most players need more a clinical approach to development. Putting them in the right league at the right time. But IMO when you have a special player that’s good and teachable enough which Slaf seems to be, he succeeds wherever you put him.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I think it depends on the situation the team is in. If they're competitive, probably not. But if they're slowly rebuilding, it's definitely possible.
100% agreed but if we take the example for the Habs, over the last 2 years they've integrated several players this way.

We're really in Slafkovsky's infancy as far as development goes and I expect more ups and downs as we go along, that is normal. Look at Kaiden Guhle, he's going through that right now...same with Barron or Xhekaj. It's normal for players to go through this.

We as fans just apply a different level of expectation based on where a player is drafted. Slafkovsky was a 1st overall pick, so we convince ourselves that unless he's productive immediately, he has no business being in the NHL.

But Slafkovsky is developing at HIS pace, not previous 1st overall picks and everything's he's gone through so far in the NHL has led to the current stretch he's on, even the bad games where he looked absolutely lost and so far from a typical 1st overall pick...those are part of the process.

Hoping for health and continued success with the top line.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Most players need more a clinical approach to development. Putting them in the right league at the right time. But IMO when you have a special player that’s good and teachable enough which Slaf seems to be, he succeeds wherever you put him.
True, I was just pointing out that different players and different teams require different methods. For Slaf, being up with the Habs allowed him to receive a lot more 1 on 1 teaching. Something that might not have happened if he was sent to Laval. Where there are so many kids down there already, who need help.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
100% agreed but if we take the example for the Habs, over the last 2 years they've integrated several players this way.

We're really in Slafkovsky's infancy as far as development goes and I expect more ups and downs as we go along, that is normal. Look at Kaiden Guhle, he's going through that right now...same with Barron or Xhekaj. It's normal for players to go through this.

We as fans just apply a different level of expectation based on where a player is drafted. Slafkovsky was a 1st overall pick, so we convince ourselves that unless he's productive immediately, he has no business being in the NHL.

But Slafkovsky is developing at HIS pace, not previous 1st overall picks and everything's he's gone through so far in the NHL has led to the current stretch he's on, even the bad games where he looked absolutely lost and so far from a typical 1st overall pick...those are part of the process.

Hoping for health and continued success with the top line.
I know I'm guilty of this myself. It's hard not too, when a player is drafted so high. Though if you look back, with that way of thinking. Two of our histories greatest players (M.Richard and Lafleur), would have been ripped apart by our current fan base.

For me personally, I"m trying to be more patient. I'm now paying less attention to the box scores. While using my own eyes to see for myself, the changes in a players development.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Great to see how he's turned it around. It's amazing how different he looks out there. Aggressive on the forecheck, winning board battles, using his size and making plays. This is a complete 180 from earlier in the year. There were games he looked like one of the worst Habs I'd ever seen, just completely lost and a turnover machine. We've got a player on our hands here, now let's go find some more.

Habricot

Oct 22, 2017
I have a feeling they would benefit from moving Caufield to another line though. Perhaps when and if one of Newhook or RHP is coming back. And yes i do agree with another poster tha Dach, Slaf and Caufield would be nice to see next year!

Reactions: Rapala

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
I know I'm guilty of this myself. It's hard not too, when a player is drafted so high. Though if you look back, with that way of thinking. Two of our histories greatest players (M.Richard and Lafleur), would have been ripped apart by our current fan base.

For me personally, I"m trying to be more patient. I'm now paying less attention to the box scores. While using my own eyes to see for myself, the changes in a players development.
You need a special personality to progress and succeed with the pressure he’s under in Montreal. This thread is a microcosm of reality with its bevy of clowns (in which I include myself) criticizing his every move,

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
I have a feeling they would benefit from moving Caufield to another line though. Perhaps when and if one of Newhook or RHP is coming back. And yes i do agree with another poster tha Dach, Slaf and Caufield would be nice to see next year!
I'll agree with the first part. Moving Caufield might be helpful, since I think everyone and their brother knows that Suzuki and Slaf are trying to set him up. I had mentioned earlier that I liked the idea of Dach with Slaf, as I think they'd be good together. Though it's hard to argue that Suzuki and Slaf don't have pretty good chemistry together.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Was talking to my dad about this the other day, he immigrated to Canada right before Lafleur made his debut with the Habs and he's always telling me how he wonders how different it would have been for Lafleur had social media been in it's present form back then.

He suggests he might not have lasted as a Montreal Canadiens player as long as he did.
I think it's normal to have high expectations for a guy you draft 1st overall, but expectations and development are separate. One doesn't have to do with the other. If it takes Slafkovsky 150-200 NHL games to fulfill his real potential, that's just what it's going to be and actually, that's quite normal.

Reactions: Paddy17

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Was talking to my dad about this the other day, he immigrated to Canada right before Lafleur made his debut with the Habs and he's always telling me how he wonders how different it would have been for Lafleur had social media been in it's present form back then.

He suggests he might not have lasted as a Montreal Canadiens player as long as he did.
Oh gawd, as much as I loved Lafleur. There's no way in hell he would have stayed on the team for as long as he did. Not that he was a bad person, but the local media covered up for him a lot. If half the things he did came out, just wow. lol

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021

I think it's normal to have high expectations for a guy you draft 1st overall, but expectations and development are separate. One doesn't have to do with the other. If it takes Slafkovsky 150-200 NHL games to fulfill his real potential, that's just what it's going to be and actually, that's quite normal.
It would have been hell for anyone we drafted in 2022 because EVERYONE is developing at a snail’s pace.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Agreed, though it is tough sometimes to separate the two. My generation is a little more patient (not always lol). With the younger generation, they expect results yesterday. That's usually what I use to judge a player as well. Though expectations for a 1st overall I may hope to see results before that time frame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad