Value of: JT Miller to New Jersey Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Devils need a scoring winger > Miller is probably preferred for his versatility and plays a style of game thats needed more so than Boeser's style , however Boeser still fills a need and of course could help the Devils. Nothing ot do about trade value , I just don't know if losing Severson plus for Boeser makes the Devils a better team overall?
I think Devils will be a highly offensive team if you pair Boeser with Jack Hughes. Boeser is a great sniper and had a great year last year. I would hate to lose Boeser to be honest but he is an extra winger for Canucks right now.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
I am not opposed to trading Miller for the right return.

I am not seeing a match with the Devil's in terms of personnel or value though.
I don't think Canucks will trade Miller. He is leading the team in scoring and he is very valuable to Canucks playing PP and PK. He also brings size and physicality. Canucks will become a much weaker and softer team without Miller and I have noticed that when Miller is absent.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Trading someone like a Boeser would not be a sign of rebuilding. It will be a sign that Canucks are retooling by trading from area of strength to address an area of weakness. Also due to cap structure, Canucks won't be able to afford all of their forwards so they need to trade some and get players with lower salary that address our weakness. The Avs traded some good players and their number 1 goalie, would you say that they were rebuilding?

Lmao the Canucks don't have any areas of strength (aside from goaltending probably). They're a mediocre team. There isn't a "retool" that will make them good.

And your second point doesn't make any sense considering the proposal you put forward. You say the Canucks need to trade some forwards for cheaper players, but the main piece coming back is Severson who will need to be re-signed (likely at a raise) once he reaches UFA status. That's not a "cheap" player.

Your point about the Avs also doesn't make any sense. The moves they made were purely expansion/cap-related. Everyone knows they aren't rebuilding.

Pure futures deal would take the Devils out of the equation for sure, they're not going to try and fast forward the rebuild by offering a Mercer/Holtz/L. Hughes level of prospect or Ty Smith level of NHL player for a year and a half of Miller.
Devils would want to do a little NHL talent and lesser prospect like Severson and Stillman or Mukhamadullin

That's fair enough from an organizational perspective. But I do think if the Devils want to add a significant piece, they're going to need to be prepared to offer something significant in return.

Personally I would like to see the Devils add another piece that hopefully gets them in the playoffs. I don't think they should trade Severson, also for that reason. He's a competent top-four RHD and they don't have any prospects that project to fill that role. Long-term, Dougie and Severson should be solid. If anything, Ty Smith should be more available considering there is Hughes and Shak in the near-term pipeline.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
A win now team would probably offer a premium for a guy like Miller. Maybe a first a second a lesser roster player and a very good prospect? Of course most win now teams would need to send back bad salary to roughly equalize any cap hit. Isn't VAN likely to just keep him until the TDL next season if they cannot come to an extension with him?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Lmao the Canucks don't have any areas of strength (aside from goaltending probably). They're a mediocre team. There isn't a "retool" that will make them good.

And your second point doesn't make any sense considering the proposal you put forward. You say the Canucks need to trade some forwards for cheaper players, but the main piece coming back is Severson who will need to be re-signed (likely at a raise) once he reaches UFA status. That's not a "cheap" player.

Your point about the Avs also doesn't make any sense. The moves they made were purely expansion/cap-related. Everyone knows they aren't rebuilding.

That's fair enough from an organizational perspective. But I do think if the Devils want to add a significant piece, they're going to need to be prepared to offer something significant in return.

Personally I would like to see the Devils add another piece that hopefully gets them in the playoffs. I don't think they should trade Severson, also for that reason. He's a competent top-four RHD and they don't have any prospects that project to fill that role. Long-term, Dougie and Severson should be solid. If anything, Ty Smith should be more available considering there is Hughes and Shak in the near-term pipeline.

They'd be prepared to trade a significant piece to land a Miller or Boeser level of player, what they wouldn't do is trade multiple high end picks or prospects, that's why they'd do Severson and a prospect that isn't Mercer/Holtz/Hughes or they'd do Ty Smith but only either 1-1 or with a small add

They wouldn't be interested in doing Smith + Holtz or any variation of that kind of all futures kind of deal

I've said it a few times before, NJ and Van don't make a lot of sense as trade partners as they're both not willing to move what the other side would want

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Boeser has some injury issues that would see me raising too many red flags for my liking. I'd go after JT Miller, who can score, pass and play with an edge... something this Devils team is desperatly lacking at the moment. True, he is older and has a year left on his deal but something around JT Miller for Severson would make sense for both teams IMO.

I would get this done during the summer, since it would give us more time to replace Severson with a more defensive minded dman like Mason, Miller, etc.

I'd definitly approve of a lineup that would look like this...

Miller-Hughes-Holtz
Johnsson-Mercer-Bratt
Zacha-Hischier-Sharangovich
Wood-McLeod-Bastian

Graves-Hamilton
Smith-Manson/Miller
Siegenthaler-Subban

Blackwood
Bernier

Reactions: HugeInTheShire

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Boeser has some injury issues that would see me raising too many red flags for my liking. I'd go after JT Miller, who can score, pass and play with an edge... something this Devils team is desperatly lacking at the moment. True, he is older and has a year left on his deal but something around JT Miller for Severson would make sense for both teams IMO.

I would get this done during the summer, since it would give us more time to replace Severson with a more defensive minded dman like Mason, Miller, etc.
Severson does not land the Devils a ppg forward. Severson would be an upgrade to our RHD but not the player or style the Canucks should be investing their best trade chip in. Severson is a good 2nd pairing D, but not the piece I'd want coming back for Miller.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Mercer is a no go. Not talking anything about value, just that there is no way the Devils would ever move him unless it is for a crazy ridiculous over pay. As in Quinn or Petey or Boeser plus.
Pick from Severson , Zacha ,Bahl , Okhotyuk , Walsh , Sharangovich , Foote , Boqvist , Clarke , Stillman , Subban at max retention , Kuokkanen , draft picks.
Smith and Holtz would suck to lose but one would probably have to be added I’m guessing .
I would include Bratt as well but for some reason 95% of Devil fans would not include him.
I would do Holtz over Mercer, that's why I put him in there

Miller/Myers for Severson/Holtz/2nd

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Severson does not land the Devils a ppg forward. Severson would be an upgrade to our RHD but not the player or style the Canucks should be investing their best trade chip in. Severson is a good 2nd pairing D, but not the piece I'd want coming back for Miller.
Tag Myers to Miller for Severson Holtz and a 2nd would work for me

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

Not happening, we're not adding a 7th overall pick on top of Severson for JT Miller while taking a cap dump on top of that.

The value just isn't there and I doubt it will be from the other 30 teams if that's what Vancouver will be asking in return.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don't see the Devils wanting anything to do with a deal like this. I would be surprised to get Holtz and a 2nd for Miller although I think he is worth something along those lines.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
That goes both ways - re-read the OP
The OP didn't do a great proposal but I don't see the need to be offended by it ( its a trade proposal on a forum) and call it garbage, a piece of shit and call the OP a "goof".

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Sheesh, Now I understand what they say about the vancouver fanbase.

Miller is an elite player and asking for a significant return is fair enough. It's fair enough if NJ fans don't want to pay that. The OP was a joke, and all these proposals with Severson as the main piece don't make a lick of sense for either team.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Miller would cost a lot to acquire this season, given you’d get two playoff runs out of him which also drove up Blake Coleman’s price when NJ dealt him to Tampa. It only makes sense to acquire someone like Miller if your team is a serious Cup contender once he’s added to the lineup. Unless the Devils get on an unseen, amazing hot streak between now and the TDL, the franchise is not yet in a position to think about sacrificing picks and/or prospects to bolster a team that’s still a long-shot to win the Cup. Hold onto these trade chips, let them continue to develop (Utica is 16-1, with key prospects leading the way) and cash them in once this team shows it’s close to being a contender. You don’t acquire such a costly asset like Miller, knowing he could leave for nothing in another year and a half, unless you’re pretty damn sure you’re going to get two rather long playoff runs out of him.

Maybe next TDL there may be more of a fit there between these teams for Miller, but right now it makes very little sense to have any interest in paying what it would cost to acquire him.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
you just slagged an entire fan base
Did I? Now I admit what I stated was pretty vague but I did not "slag" the entire fanbase. That was you inserting the "slag" into my comment.
Guilty conscious perhaps?

ill be less vague for you though. what I mean't by say that was that I now understand the recent notion that there is toxicity in the Vancouver fanbase.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd do:

Boeser

for

Severson
MacLeod
2022 4th

I'd push for Gauthier in there as well, but that would probably be too much.

Reactions: majormajor

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021

Fair enough. I wouldn't consider moving Holtz for a potential rental thus the reason why I was offering Severson, who's a RHD and those players are a hot commidity versus left wingers and his deal also finishes at the same time as Miller's. I can agree that we might have to add a prospect and if the Canucks are in need of a guy like Bahl, he might be available knowing we are stacked at that position and he's been bumped down our depth chart with the addition of Shak and Hughes via the 2020 and 2021 draft.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
I'd do:

Boeser

for

Severson
MacLeod
2022 4th

I'd push for Gauthier in there as well, but that would probably be too much.

That is definitly something I'd think about. I'd try and keep McLeod and offer one of our several left handed dman we have in our pipeline before parting ways with our 4th line center who seems to be relied on by our coaching staff for key faceoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad