Value of: JT Miller to New Jersey Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
We can probably say we're holding off on moving Miller for now.

That being said, what's the deal with Subban? Could he be had for a longer term, much less expensive contract in a Poolman, Pearson, Hamonic and/or Dickinson?

I think Subban might be a good fit with Boudreau.

if NJ keeps losing and end up as sellers they’d likely try to move Subban but I don’t think any of those names would be that good for NJ. They have Hamilton and Sverson for next season and would want a good young player for Subban or the best draft pick they can get. Typically in those instances the contender offers the draft pick.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
if NJ keeps losing and end up as sellers they’d likely try to move Subban but I don’t think any of those names would be that good for NJ. They have Hamilton and Sverson for next season and would want a good young player for Subban or the best draft pick they can get. Typically in those instances the contender offers the draft pick.

Draft picks would be the expected ask, and definitely not something I'd omit, but if none of those names are worth anything (even neutrally) we couldn't even afford Subban retained. Most of them, Poolman really being the only possible exception, aren't bad players, just paid for too long. Or in Hamonic's case, causing a logisitical nightmare with his vaccination status all over the map and needing multiple conditioning stints without playing games for our affiliates.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Draft picks would be the expected ask, and definitely not something I'd omit, but if none of those names are worth anything (even neutrally) we couldn't even afford Subban retained. Most of them, Poolman really being the only possible exception, aren't bad players, just paid for too long. Or in Hamonic's case, causing a logisitical nightmare with his vaccination status all over the map and needing multiple conditioning stints without playing games for our affiliates.

Subban has been paid his $6 million bonus for the year and is only owed a $2 million base, and 30% of that has been paid. I think it would be incredibly cheap to have another team retain 25%, probably only a 4th round pick.

Devils: 50% retain, $4.5 million cap, $700,000 in cash to Subban
[Another team]: 25% retain, $2.25 million cap, $350,000 cash
Canucks: Subban for $2.25 million cap, $350,000 cash

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
NJ including a 1st Round pick should be a non starter. They arent a bonafide playoff team and acquiring Miller (or Boeser) helps but doesnt push them to bonafide status.

If that means Vancouver says no without the 1st Round pick included, then so be it. These two team arent a good fit as trade partners.
It’s not just about this year though. It’s about getting a player we desperately need . We are too young and inexperienced with not real grit in our top 6 at all.
This is a piece we would add to add to the core.
I’m at the point where I woild offer up a lot in order to get him.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Subban has been paid his $6 million bonus for the year and is only owed a $2 million base, and 30% of that has been paid. I think it would be incredibly cheap to have another team retain 25%, probably only a 4th round pick.

Devils: 50% retain, $4.5 million cap, $700,000 in cash to Subban
[Another team]: 25% retain, $2.25 million cap, $350,000 cash
Canucks: Subban for $2.25 million cap, $350,000 cash

That's a lot more reasonable. I was thinking he'd already had retention for some reason.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
PSA:

The reason I said "my initial offer" was because that is how trade talks generally go - you offer something lower, they come back with something higher, then you meet in middle.

I see Severson and a 1st rounder coming back as responses.

That to me means one of those assets would be a must.

How about:
Janne Kuokkanen
2022 OR 2023 1st rounder (Top 2 protected)
Subban 50% retained OR Reilly Walsh
But what exactly is the point of the whole exercise?

Are we trying to figure out how much it would cost to get Miller in NJ, or are we trying to figure if you can get a dim witted Canucks fan to accept your lowball offer in a game of pretend GM?

How does that reflect any possible real word dealing between these teams, involving these players.

What exactly is the point of the whole exercise?

Reactions: zcaptain

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad