Value of: JT Miller to New Jersey Devils

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
How about

Jack Hughes
Severson
2022 2nd

for

Miller

That will be the trade that I would do if NJ wants Miller
Yes , very clever. OP makes an initial offer that is way too low so lets crap on him and be as ridiculous as his offer because... ?? There are other ways to state your opinion instead of acting like a kid and making a counter that is as garbage or even worse than the original.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So beyond reality.

Miller is one year from UFA, and is a middle six guy at 28 years old. They'll get overpaid for him, but really - Jack Hughes. That's just comical.

So he’s not a rental or UFA, he’s still in his prime and like most middle six players he’s top 30 in scoring league wide while playing 20 minutes a night and both ways on special teams.

Got it.

Any “Hughes” talk is silly but this is a very disingenuous attempt to use clever wording to minimize a clearly top line, non rental player in his prime.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
So beyond reality.

Miller is one year from UFA, and is a middle six guy at 28 years old. They'll get overpaid for him, but really - Jack Hughes. That's just comical.
So beyond reality.

The poster knows that , he is trying ( in a very crappy way ) to point out he is not happy with the OP's offer. We get it , the offer is not good. No need to make another crap offer in response.

Leave any mention of any of the Hughes brothers out of this thread because no way in hell any of them are moved.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Am just saying that because OP wants to trade garbage for our 1st line forward. He says trades offers start very low so am assuming counter offers will start at very high price ;)

Still, there have been a lot of decent proposals in this thread and you chose to double down on stupidity

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
So beyond reality.

How is Miller a "middle six guy" when he is 20th in league scoring, has a 60% FO and plays PP and PK? There must not be a lot of "middle six guys" in this league if Miller is considered one. He is 28 but thats not that old as he can get a 6 year contract and still be useful in all of those 6 years. Aside from that, an experienced NHL vet with pedigree and scoring prowess along with physicality is worth a lot in the NHL.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
So beyond reality.

Not that the offer wasn't terrible, but in what world is Miller a middle 6 guy? He's 20th in league scoring and has been ~ppg over the last 3 years.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Still, there have been a lot of decent proposals in this thread and you chose to double down on stupidity
Well, maybe if people didn't start stupid trades to begin with that rips off Canucks, then I would not post this.

In reality though, Canucks will definitly ask for Luke Hughes or Severson as a starting piece if you want me to be realistic.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Not that the offer wasn't terrible, but in what world is Miller a middle 6 guy? He's 20th in league scoring and has been ~ppg over the last 3 years.
Yeah that makes me scratch my head. I love how fans of other teams start to devalue our best players by saying 28 years old or "middle six guy" while at the same time pumping up their own players as the next Gretzky:laugh:

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Lol you think Van is going to have Quinn in 2 years. He goneeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
What about my response triggered you? The 6 year contract Quinn signed might indicate he will be here in 2 years, but either way - be a douche because????

Reactions: BCNate

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Well, maybe if people didn't start stupid trades to begin with that rips off Canucks, then I would not post this.

In reality though, Canucks will definitly ask for Luke Hughes or Severson as a starting piece if you want me to be realistic.

Severson + Stillman + 2022 2nd or 2023 1st (lottery protected)
For
Miller + Jett Woo

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Luke Hughes and Severson are very far apart in value for the Devils. Luke Jack Nico and Mercer are all no go's .
Is Ty Smith of any interest for the Canucks or is a RHD a must over a LHD?
Id move one of Severson or Smith plus a combo of picks or prospects not named Luke Hughes , Mercer , Holtz .

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Severson + Stillman + 2022 2nd or 2023 1st (lottery protected)
For
Miller + Jett Woo
Canucks will not trade Jett Woo. Why did you throw him in there? That proposal might just be enough to get Miller if you changed that 2022 2nd to a 2022 1st. Still am not sure Canucks are ready to trade Miller yet but assuming Miller wanting out then that would be the package the Canucks would consider. Problem is the Canucks will have a gaping hole at center with no Miller and Petersson playing like a 4th liner.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Luke Hughes and Severson are very far apart in value for the Devils. Luke Jack Nico and Mercer are all no go's .
Is Ty Smith of any interest for the Canucks or is a RHD a must over a LHD?
Id move one of Severson or Smith plus a combo of picks or prospects not named Luke Hughes , Mercer , Holtz .

Does NJ need someone like Miller? I was wondering about a trade involving Boeser for Severson plus a pick. Canucks have lots of wingers and that is the trade Canucks will likely do versus trading someone as valuable as Miller. Now Boeser is a young player with still a lot of potential and lead the team in scoring last year.

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Canucks will not trade Jett Woo. Why did you throw him in there? That proposal might just be enough to get Miller if you changed that 2022 2nd to a 2022 1st. Still am not sure Canucks are ready to trade Miller yet but assuming Miller wanting out then that would be the package the Canucks would consider. Problem is the Canucks will have a gaping hole at center with no Miller and Petersson playing like a 4th liner.

I threw Woo in as he's a RHD and the Devils are already low in that area and would be giving up one in this trade, but he's not necessary for it to happen.
Devils could add McLeod or Boqvist or even both

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
RHD is the way bigger need. Q. Hughes, OEL on left (for good or ill).

An RHD for a Canucks winger makes the most sense. Canucks have Hoglander, Garland, Podkolzin, Petersson (can play wing or center), Pearson as wingers if Boeser left and they have a great young prospect waiting to make the team. I like Boeser but if the Canucks had to trade for a good top 4D then am assuming Boeser will be the one traded, especially since his contract is almost done. A Boeser for Severson trade makes a lot of sense for Canucks just to balance that defense.

Canucks D
Hughes-Severson
OEL-Myers
Poolman-Hamonic

That would definitely be a good defensive core with Hughes, OEL and Severson. Canucks could then upgrade on Hamonic who is getting paid 3 million per and get a better defenseman in the off season to retool that D.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Does NJ need someone like Miller? I was wondering about a trade involving Boeser for Severson plus a pick. Canucks have lots of wingers and that is the trade Canucks will likely do versus trading someone as valuable as Miller. Now Boeser is a young player with still a lot of potential and lead the team in scoring last year.

I threw Woo in as he's a RHD and the Devils are already low in that area and would be giving up one in this trade, but he's not necessary for it to happen.
Devils could add McLeod or Boqvist or even both

If the Canucks are trading Miller or Boeser, it's a sure re-sign they're entering some kind of rebuild. I don't think a player who will be need to bere-signed before UFA status is that attractive. I like Severson as a player, but as a nominal Canucks fan as well, I think it would have to be something like a pure futures deal.

From a Devils perspective, if they're trading for Miller, it would have to be to make the playoffs this year and next. I don't see him as a long-term piece.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
RHD is the way bigger need. Q. Hughes, OEL on left (for good or ill).
Am happy with Hughes and OEL. They are playing great and OEL has played awesome. No problem with that, especially with Rathbone coming up soon. Now the RHD is really weak and I hope Canucks can address that position. Upgrading on Hamonic and getting another vial top 4D that is RHD could make the defense solid.

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
An RHD for a Canucks winger makes the most sense. Canucks have Hoglander, Garland, Podkolzin, Petersson (can play wing or center), Pearson as wingers if Boeser left and they have a great young prospect waiting to make the team. I like Boeser but if the Canucks had to trade for a good top 4D then am assuming Boeser will be the one traded, especially since his contract is almost done. A Boeser for Severson trade makes a lot of sense for Canucks just to balance that defense.

Canucks D
Hughes-Severson
OEL-Myers
Poolman-Hamonic

That would definitely be a good defensive core with Hughes, OEL and Severson. Canucks could then upgrade on Hamonic who is getting paid 3 million per and get a better defenseman in the off season to retool that D.

Definitely think trading from the wing makes the most sense to address the RHD need. Need to find a willing dance partner. :)

I'm not psyched to trade Boeser because I still think he can be a guy who consistently gets 30+ goals in a full season. But if the right option for RHD is there, that's an easier loss to absorb than others.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If the Canucks are trading Miller or Boeser, it's a sure re-sign they're entering some kind of rebuild. I don't think a player who will be need to bere-signed before UFA status is that attractive. I like Severson as a player, but as a nominal Canucks fan as well, I think it would have to be something like a pure futures deal.

From a Devils perspective, if they're trading for Miller, it would have to be to make the playoffs this year and next. I don't see him as a long-term piece.
Trading someone like a Boeser would not be a sign of rebuilding. It will be a sign that Canucks are retooling by trading from area of strength to address an area of weakness. Also due to cap structure, Canucks won't be able to afford all of their forwards so they need to trade some and get players with lower salary that address our weakness. The Avs traded some good players and their number 1 goalie, would you say that they were rebuilding?

HugeInTheShire

Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Pure futures deal would take the Devils out of the equation for sure, they're not going to try and fast forward the rebuild by offering a Mercer/Holtz/L. Hughes level of prospect or Ty Smith level of NHL player for a year and a half of Miller.
Devils would want to do a little NHL talent and lesser prospect like Severson and Stillman or Mukhamadullin

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Devils need a scoring winger > Miller is probably preferred for his versatility and plays a style of game thats needed more so than Boeser's style , however Boeser still fills a need and of course could help the Devils. Nothing ot do about trade value , I just don't know if losing Severson plus for Boeser makes the Devils a better team overall?
The Devils are very thin at RHD as well , its just that I am not sure if we can / should sign Severson when his contract is up as his cost might be too high and we need to allocate cap for Luke eventually. We have to start watching our cap now with Jack signed , Hamilton , Nico being big ticket contracts with players like Luke , Mercer , Holtz , Bratt , Zacha , all needing new contracts soon. The Devils will need to decide who is part of their core and who they need to trade / walk away from.
Depth wise we cannot really move Severson but we may not have a choice and may as well see if we can plug a different hole in the lineup instead.

Last edited:

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Definitely think trading from the wing makes the most sense to address the RHD need. Need to find a willing dance partner. :)

I'm not psyched to trade Boeser because I still think he can be a guy who consistently gets 30+ goals in a full season. But if the right option for RHD is there, that's an easier loss to absorb than others.

Yes, I would hate to trade Boeser but Garland is making it easier to let Boeser go especially with how dynamic Garland is and he is young too. I see Garland, Petersson, Demko, Horvat and Hughes as the main pieces going forward. Boeser is a luxury to have but he doesn't make sense for Canucks at his cap hit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad