Proposal: JT Miller to Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
They’ll get a first+ a decent prospect for JT Miller. I’ve never said they’d get less than a 1st. I’m sure they’ll get one of those.

A first is always a solid piece so you’re lying about the word “only”.
Carolina looks to be the front runner for the presidents trophy this year with the Avs, that first might as well be a 2nd. So I'm not lying, you are to yourself.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
JT might’ve made sense before they made their other moves but it doesn’t now. They’re set with what they have and they’ll add Patches when he’s healthy. Necas and Koko get shots at 2C.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
I didn't say he's trash... But he is not even close to the player Miller is. Outside of the point totals he put up he also provides grit and can play C or W.

Canes are a WAY better team with Miller in instead of Necas AINEC, not even in the same stratosphere...
Rental vs long term potential one age is always a factor....Most Necas also battled covid mid season and two concussions in the last calender year.

Of course JT is a better player right now but he's a rental.

StorminSnvechnAho

There is a storm coming prepare for the Surge
Feb 15, 2021
NC
Miller will not be an unprecedented rental. Matt Duchene was a center scoring at a 95 point pace at the time of his trade to Columbus. He went for a bubble-in 1st, an intriguing, but not true top prospect (Abramov), a recent late round pick (Davidsson) and poison pill 1st upon re-signing (no longer permitted).

Carolina can afford to pay that type of price at the deadline, if this is the year to go for it in terms of a rental. It's unnecessary to pay a desperation premium right now. The talent is there to make the playoffs sans Pacioretty.
This is a sentiment I agree with, the Canes will make the playoffs as is.... They don't seem to be interested in anymore regular season accolades either.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Necas' career scoring rate equates to 48 points per 82 games. He put up 60 points in his best 82 game stretch of his NHL career thus far (1/30/21 - 1/15/22).

If you want to claim that his market value is not much, that's fair, but it doesn't really matter at this point. He's under contract now. Carolina no longer has a cap problem. At this point, the Canes can afford to let him find his game. He's not moving for 1 year of J.T. Miller.
Exactly, plus we've seen "good Necas" a lot, so we know what the potential is. He may or may not live up to it, but he's neither "trash" nor "a dime a dozen" player.
Not saying the Hurricanes should make that trade, but if their goal is to win a cup, that trades gives them a much, much better chance of doing so without much of a hit to their roster. Honestly, I think Miller would fit the club perfectly and make them a ligitimate threat in the east. Otherwise they're a good club that looks to make it to the second or third round.
My comments were about Necas and the quality of player he is, not as much about the Miller trade. The Canes are in this for the long game, wanting to make the playoffs consistently while building a competitive team that can be tweaked appropriately for a Cup run. This year and next year are a sweet spot and I expect the club will make those tweaks either throughout the year or at the TDL.

Miller may or may not fit the club perfectly. He's a very good player who seems to have put it all together the last 2 or 3 years. He's a good (but not great) playoff performer, slightly over a 1/2 point per game. But he's a rental to the Canes who wouldn't re-sign him for the term/money he's going to command. Truth be told, what the Canes need more than anything is for their best players to be their best players in the playoffs. If the guys who should take a step forward this season do so, and the team leaders lead in the post-season, they'll be fine.

Reactions: Negan4Coach

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Miller will not be an unprecedented rental. Matt Duchene was a center scoring at a 95 point pace at the time of his trade to Columbus. He went for a bubble-in 1st, an intriguing, but not true top prospect (Abramov), a recent late round pick (Davidsson) and poison pill 1st upon re-signing (no longer permitted).

Carolina can afford to pay that type of price at the deadline, if this is the year to go for it in terms of a rental. It's unnecessary to pay a desperation premium right now. The talent is there to make the playoffs sans Pacioretty.
This suggests that the Columbus modern day equivalent would be a lottery-protected 1st, Pyyhtia, and Hjorth.

I'm going to make a note of that for the next time folks try to push Miller on us. ;)

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Carolina looks to be the front runner for the presidents trophy this year with the Avs, that first might as well be a 2nd. So I'm not lying, you are to yourself.

i said a late first + a decent prospect. A late first is a late first. what’s so hard for you to digest with that statement. A late 1st isnt a 2nd. It’s a first. No non playoff team or wild card type is going to trade for him. Just the real contenders. Pick probably lands between 24-32nd OA.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This suggests that the Columbus modern day equivalent would be a lottery-protected 1st, Pyyhtia, and Hjorth.

I'm going to make a note of that for the next time folks try to push Miller on us. ;)
Nah, some of the various Columbus offers have been fine as is.

Royal Puck

Mar 6, 2015
To Vancouver: Brett Pesce + 2nd round pick
To Carolina: JT Miller

Canucks get a very good RD at 4m for 2 seasons. He'd also have great value at the 2024 deadline if he doesn't show interest in re-signing.

Vakarte

May 30, 2022
Why is this still a discussion. Carolina doesn't have much cap space so they can't take on JT's cap hit.

Plus, what is JT Miller without Elias Pettersson's powerplay gravity?

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Why is this still a discussion. Carolina doesn't have much cap space so they can't take on JT's cap hit.

Plus, what is JT Miller without Elias Pettersson's powerplay gravity?
? That's an odd question. JTM had 30+ points more than EP last year, and the player he really gels with on the PP is Hughes.

Reactions: CascadiaPuck

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
i said a late first + a decent prospect. A late first is a late first. what’s so hard for you to digest with that statement. A late 1st isnt a 2nd. It’s a first. No non playoff team or wild card type is going to trade for him. Just the real contenders. Pick probably lands between 24-32nd OA.
Late firsts have value but are limited. Necas is a 40 point forward currently with a good contract and Drury is a solid prospect. The deal is underwhelming considering Carolina isn't the only team who would be interested.

MatthewMurdock

Jul 25, 2022
No chance they move one of those assets for Miller, much less all 3.

Go back to lala-land
The notion that a last 1st round pick wouldn't be moved for a guy coming of a 99 point season is one of the most absurd things I've seen on here. Miller finished top 10 in league wide scoring and has been one of the most productive players in the league over the past 3 seasons. Just absolutely laughable that the notion that late first or a prospect that's yet to crack the NHL in what's about to be his draft + 5 season have more value.

MatthewMurdock

Jul 25, 2022
"The contending Carolina Hurricanes would not trade Jack Drury a player who was drafted the same year as Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes who's only played 2 NHL games for a guy that just scored 99 points in the NHL"

That has to be one of the most laughable posts I have seen on this forum.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Yeah it is an overpayment and probably unrealistic. But the fact that you think Jack Drury and/or the 2023 first wouldn't be traded for Miller is worse than the trade proposal. I think you should go back to lala-land with the op.
Not a chance in hell Carolina would give a 2023 1st and Drury for 1yr of Miller without retention. Another story if Miller would agree on resigning for decent value longterm before the trade.

"JT Miller just had a season which would rank 2nd all time in Carolina Hurricanes history but you know what I wouldn't trade Jack Drury for him"

LOL
A rental, even a good one, isnt worth the farm.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
The notion that a last 1st round pick wouldn't be moved for a guy coming of a 99 point season is one of the most absurd things I've seen on here. Miller finished top 10 in league wide scoring and has been one of the most productive players in the league over the past 3 seasons. Just absolutely laughable that the notion that late first or a prospect that's yet to crack the NHL in what's about to be his draft + 5 season have more value.

The Hurricanes don’t pay rental prices. What’s laughable is the inability of posters like you to pick up on that.

Miller may very well return a 1st. It won’t be from CAR.

Reactions: cptjeff

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Trades take time. it's not something teams should rush to do. they have plenty of time to get a deal done and chances are offers will only increase the closer they get to Trade Deadline. someone will prob pay up.

The Tkachuk trade came together within a week. If there’s a team willing to pay the asking price, it gets done quickly.

He’s been rumored to have been available for months. Teams aren’t willing to pay the asking price because it’s quite likely too high.

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
"JT Miller just had a season which would rank 2nd all time in Carolina Hurricanes history but you know what I wouldn't trade Jack Drury for him"

LOL
"The contending Carolina Hurricanes would not trade Jack Drury a player who was drafted the same year as Brady Tkachuk and Quinn Hughes who's only played 2 NHL games for a guy that just scored 99 points in the NHL"

That has to be one of the most laughable posts I have seen on this forum.

Get back to us when 1 year of Miller returns a blue-chip prospect like Drury. He won't. Drury is Carolina's best prospect, personally I don't move 7 years of Drury alone for 1 year of JT Miller.

A rental Miller is worth 1st + 2nd + B prospect. He won't return more than Giroux.

Reactions: cptjeff and Viqsi

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lovely............another thread where the opposing team tells us how JTM is an overvalued winger whom they don't want and doesn't fit their core while our fans sit and attempt to justify how such and such team should give us a 23 year old budding star and a first pic cus JTM is well umm you know a 100 point player.

I really feel we haven't had enough of these already.........
Trust me, fans of other teams are equally as tired of Vancouver fans telling us how much we need Miller, how much we should pay, how we can re-sign him, etc.

It’s a trade board though, so this stuff happens regularly and we all choose to read or not read threads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad