Proposal: JT Miller to Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VancouverJagger

Not trying to fit in
Feb 26, 2017
Vancouver - Coal Harbour
Lovely............another thread where the opposing team tells us how JTM is an overvalued winger whom they don't want and doesn't fit their core while our fans sit and attempt to justify how such and such team should give us a 23 year old budding star and a first pic cus JTM is well umm you know a 100 point player.

I really feel we haven't had enough of these already.........

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
Canes aren’t in a position to trade for a player that will be due a massive raise. In the next 2-3 years basically the entire core outside of Svech (and kotkaniemi to a much lesser extent) will need to be re-signed and given raises.

Aho, TT, Necas, Slavin, Pesce, Skjei, Jarvis

Spending like $8mil + on Miller isn’t really an option and we’re not giving up anything close to that package in the OP for a rental.
Oh I agree. The only way the Canes do something like this is if management has been told that they're done after this year if they don't make it past the second round, and thus go all in this year. I don't see it happening. Although I do think they're more likely to go after Miller than Patty Kane, as one poster remarked.

My comment was just tailored for the unoriginal jacka$$ who thought he was being funny about our cap/age situation. The "just re-sign him" quip is stale at the best of times and just ignorant at the worst.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
every time i read one of these threads and i see someone say "just re-sign him then", i cringe

it's such a bad bail out response that is illogical to the canucks situation

just say you don't think your team is willing to part with those assets for miller and end it at that lol

dbaz

Jan 29, 2010
Meh Op ask is too much but then again if carolina had him on the team they would still have too many problems to win a cup

Cquant

May 14, 2015
Since when was at least a mid/late first for a 80/90/100 point center at the deadline making 2.5 million an absolute no. I get the Miller discussions are getting on people's nerves, but seriously.

Miller is going to get at least a first if he is traded. Especially if retained. Resign him or not, but at the trade deadline, this guy is going to be worth gold.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
I’d give up garland for a 2023 first and Carolina gets to veto two prospects. So garland for 2023 first and canes third best prospect.
Take Jack Drury and Scott Morrow off the table.

Options left are Ville Koivunen, Gleb Trikozov, Ryan Suzuki, Noel Gunler, Jamieson Rees, Dominik Bokk, etc.

I'd prefer to keep Trikozov and Koivunen but I would probably still make that deal for Garland. Ethan Bear or Jake Gardiner have to be in it.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Since when was at least a mid/late first for a 80/90/100 point center at the deadline making 2.5 million an absolute no. I get the Miller discussions are getting on people's nerves, but seriously.

Miller is going to get at least a first if he is traded. Especially if retained. Resign him or not, but at the trade deadline, this guy is going to be worth gold.

Go back an re-read some posts.

I don’t believe it’s been stated anywhere that Miller would not return a 1st, etc. What’s been stated is that CAR will not be paying that sort of price for a rental.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

The hangup isn't the first as a rental.

The hangup is asking for an established 22yo top 6 forward and the teams most NHL-ready prospect at a position where they're lacking quality depth as well that kills it.

Reactions: Viqsi and cptjeff

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I know you’re just trolling around, but I’m going to explain this to you anyways because the number of times we’ve heard this in a hard cap league is just getting embarrassing at this point.

All indication from management is that they want to re-sign him, but JT has rightfully earned a massive raise. We likely just can’t afford him at what he wants, and he also puts a cap on our competitive window, ending right when Hughes, Lekk, Podz, Petey, Demko look for new deals and enter their primes. It’s a perfect case of right player, wrong time for our team, which is why it’s such a big and drawn out decision for our team. It’s not like the NHL is a “sign good player now” league, that’s how you turn into a team like Philly (no offence).
Precisely. So acknowledge this hard cap league, accept that JT Miller is now just a rental, very few contenders have cap space for the foreseeable future and stop trying to have you cake and eat it to.

you’re not going to get great or even good value for JT Miller in these circumstance. You’ll get modest value like a late 1st and so so B level prospect. Time for Vancouver fans to face reality.

the best reason to acquire JT Miller was the two playoff runs you’d get at his low AAV. But Vancouver didn’t trade him and Miller sat out the recent playoffs on a non contender.

before the draft and free agency there was another window, but now? He’s just a rental you gotta overpay to retain in a year. His value is significantly reduced today vs six months ago.

remove Necas and the OPs offer is probably as good as you’ll do in a Miller deal. Jack drury + lottery protected 2023 1st.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Lovely............another thread where the opposing team tells us how JTM is an overvalued winger whom they don't want and doesn't fit their core while our fans sit and attempt to justify how such and such team should give us a 23 year old budding star and a first pic cus JTM is well umm you know a 100 point player.

I really feel we haven't had enough of these already.........

another factor in the cap aspects on top of this.

about a dozen teams will be over the cap after factoring in LTIR. Therr will be teams looking to unload salary. why give up all that when Carolina coukd get a decent middle 6 winger with 1 yr left for little who will do a satisfactory job.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I know you’re just trolling around, but I’m going to explain this to you anyways because the number of times we’ve heard this in a hard cap league is just getting embarrassing at this point.

All indication from management is that they want to re-sign him, but JT has rightfully earned a massive raise. We likely just can’t afford him at what he wants, and he also puts a cap on our competitive window, ending right when Hughes, Lekk, Podz, Petey, Demko look for new deals and enter their primes. It’s a perfect case of right player, wrong time for our team, which is why it’s such a big and drawn out decision for our team. It’s not like the NHL is a “sign good player now” league, that’s how you turn into a team like Philly (no offence).
Yet the premise behind this thread isn’t a troll?

posting a proposal because of an injured player and ask fir a massive overpay isn’t good either.

as the other poster has said…he’s a rental. At the deadline he returns a 1St/2nd+prospect with retention. Factors in this will be an uncertain playoff team will do a 2 nd that becomes a 1st based on playoff permanent. If they give a slightly better prospect it’s a flat 2nd.

Vancouver is not getting what the OP is asking….nowhere near that.

as we see with Kadri. I think a big issue going on is ontract length. Nobody wants negative contract on their books when he is 34+. He’d have to be willing to only get 3-4 yr contract.

evrn thrn what teams evrn will have such cap space and they don’t have players to resign in the near term. About 5 teams or some appear to have space but in 2-3 yrs r get have RFAs to resign just like Vancouver has. Thr issue you mention also app,it’s to them.

i think many teams will only be looking at him as a pure rental with no desire to try to resign him.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Yet the premise behind this thread isn’t a troll?

posting a proposal because of an injured player and ask fir a massive overpay isn’t good either.

as the other poster has said…he’s a rental. At the deadline he returns a 1St/2nd+prospect with retention. Factors in this will be an uncertain playoff team will do a 2 nd that becomes a 1st based on playoff permanent. If they give a slightly better prospect it’s a flat 2nd.

Vancouver is not getting what the OP is asking….nowhere near that.

as we see with Kadri. I think a big issue going on is ontract length. Nobody wants negative contract on their books when he is 34+. He’d have to be willing to only get 3-4 yr contract.

evrn thrn what teams evrn will have such cap space and they don’t have players to resign in the near term. About 5 teams or some appear to have space but in 2-3 yrs r get have RFAs to resign just like Vancouver has. Thr issue you mention also app,it’s to them.

i think many teams will only be looking at him as a pure rental with no desire to try to resign him.

I was also thinking about Kadri, as a lesson for Miller. Those huge contracts for guys in their 30's just might have dried in the current cap environment. No disrespect to Kadri, or Miller, but there just aren't a lot of teams out there, that can afford such contracts.

This is particularly true of contending teams, who would be looking for a boost to their team, making him a pure rental for return purposes.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Precisely. So acknowledge this hard cap league, accept that JT Miller is now just a rental, very few contenders have cap space for the foreseeable future and stop trying to have you cake and eat it to.

you’re not going to get great or even good value for JT Miller in these circumstance. You’ll get modest value like a late 1st and so so B level prospect. Time for Vancouver fans to face reality.

the best reason to acquire JT Miller was the two playoff runs you’d get at his low AAV. But Vancouver didn’t trade him and Miller sat out the recent playoffs on a non contender.

before the draft and free agency there was another window, but now? He’s just a rental you gotta overpay to retain in a year. His value is significantly reduced today vs six months ago.

remove Necas and the OPs offer is probably as good as you’ll do in a Miller deal. Jack drury + lottery protected 2023 1st.
I agree.

Reinhart and Fiala were traded. Both were RFA with 1 yr till UFA. Both these players were younger than what Miller is. Thrm being annRFS made it easier to keep thrm beyond UFA. Buchevick was also moved similarly.

that is the benchmark here but Miller is older by 3+ yrs and he can walk.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

And yet, strangely, any time he's offered it's seemingly without any consideration for the fact that these concerns and restrictions just might also apply to other teams.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The amount this website underrates "older" talent (I.e 'omg Miller's going to be 30 years old') is ridiculous.

Yeah, a plug and play 100 point player that can fit in a contender's lineup for like 2.5 mil with retention for a run at a cup isn't worth much.

Fascinating.
That's the thing, though. None of these proposals are ever for rental prices. None of them.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad