Proposal: JT Miller to Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The amount this website underrates "older" talent (I.e 'omg Miller's going to be 30 years old') is ridiculous.

Yeah, a plug and play 100 point player that can fit in a contender's lineup for like 2.5 mil with retention for a run at a cup isn't worth much.

Fascinating.
Late first and prospect who MIGHT be a middle sixer one day >>>>>> proven superstar cmon bro anyone knows this

And JT Miller is just a rental that holds rental value.
Is it against the CBA to sign him to an extension? I would imagine he would be interested.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I’m not going to comment on what Carolina should give up for Miller but looking at their team with the injury to Pacioretty and the obvious holes in the top six I’d say he would be a great add even for just the year.
While they are a really good team, it’s hard to see that team beating the likes of Colorado and Tampa as currently constructed even when Pacioretty returns.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I wouldn't be surprised if Miller has more points than Necas and Drury combined next year... Some of these takes are insane... Necas is a MEH player at best. Drury is 22 and is a decent prospect but not some blue chipper some are making him out to be. And a late first... How on earth is that too much for a player like Miller???

ESPECIALLY if they retain 50% on him... he'd be cheaper than Necas ffs.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Doesn't change the fact that Necas is a dime a dozen player. I could care less what Vancouver gets for Miller but Necas is a meh player at best.

Necas isn't nearly as valuable as you think he is.

I wouldn't be surprised if Miller has more points than Necas and Drury combined next year... Some of these takes are insane... Necas is a MEH player at best. Drury is 22 and is a decent prospect but not some blue chipper some are making him out to be. And a late first... How on earth is that too much for a player like Miller???

ESPECIALLY if they retain 50% on him... he'd be cheaper than Necas ffs.
.....so, then Carolina happily keeps him. Necas had a down year last season, mostly because of his poor 2nd half. But he's still one of the fastest skaters in the league, put up 40 points last season, and scored at a 63 point pace in the previous season. Oh, and he had his lowest shooting % of his career at 8.8% (career average of 12.3%). Yeah, he's trash alright......:sarcasm:

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
.....so, then Carolina happily keeps him. Necas had a down year last season, mostly because of his poor 2nd half. But he's still one of the fastest skaters in the league, put up 40 points last season, and scored at a 63 point pace in the previous season. Oh, and he had his lowest shooting % of his career at 8.8% (career average of 12.3%). Yeah, he's trash alright......:sarcasm:
All you have is hope that he turns pace into reality. Hes a 40 point player and thats all he is until he isn't. You can make excuses for the player all you want, still doesn't change what he currently is.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Late first and prospect who MIGHT be a middle sixer one day >>>>>> proven superstar cmon bro anyone knows this

Is it against the CBA to sign him to an extension? I would imagine he would be interested.
That would have been easier to do prior to free agency. A lot of present and future cap space has been taken by guys that signed contracts this summer.

Vancouver very obviously missed their window to maximize value on trading JT Miller. That’s crystal clear at this point. And why the guys are Sportsnet have pivoted to talking about a possible extension or just not talking about him at all.

Reactions: cptjeff

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Doesn't change the fact that Necas is a dime a dozen player. I could care less what Vancouver gets for Miller but Necas is a meh player at best.

Necas isn't nearly as valuable as you think he is.
Except than Carolina is likely not entertaining any Necas trades today and Vancouver would love to get a better offer on JT Miller than the market has given them.

One guy, yours, is on the market actively. The other now isn’t.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Except than Carolina is likely not entertaining any Necas trades today and Vancouver would love to get a better offer on JT Miller than the market has given them.

One guy, yours, is on the market actively. The other now isn’t.
You assume he is quote "My guy", you are misinformed. Necas is a nothing player who canes fans hope become a real player based on pace and a low shooting percentage last season.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario
I didn't say he's trash... But he is not even close to the player Miller is. Outside of the point totals he put up he also provides grit and can play C or W.

Canes are a WAY better team with Miller in instead of Necas AINEC, not even in the same stratosphere...

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
I didn't say he's trash... But he is not even close to the player Miller is. Outside of the point totals he put up he also provides grit and can play C or W.

Canes are a WAY better team with Miller in instead of Necas AINEC, not even in the same stratosphere...
Couldn't have said it better. Necas is a bottom 6 vanilla player until he proves to be more.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Good god man what did Necas do to you? :laugh:

How many posts do you have in this thread now? You’ve made yourself very clear how you feel about him :laugh:
I have nothing against Necas at all. He is what he is a 40 point 3rd liner. Every other team has a player like him that they also overrate and people call them out as well. Could he become more maybe, but until he can show it he's not worth much.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Necas' career scoring rate equates to 48 points per 82 games. He put up 60 points in his best 82 game stretch of his NHL career thus far (1/30/21 - 1/15/22).

If you want to claim that his market value is not much, that's fair, but it doesn't really matter at this point. He's under contract now. Carolina no longer has a cap problem. At this point, the Canes can afford to let him find his game. He's not moving for 1 year of J.T. Miller.

Reactions: McJedi

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Necas' career scoring rate equates to 48 points per 82 games. He put up 60 points in his best 82 game stretch of his NHL career thus far (1/30/21 - 1/15/22).

If you want to claim that his market value is not much, that's fair, but it doesn't really matter at this point. He's under contract now. Carolina no longer has a cap problem. At this point, the Canes can afford to let him find his game. He's not moving for 1 year of J.T. Miller.
All fair points, Necas value isn't great but like you said the canes can now wait to see if he puts it all together. Vancouver should be looking for picks and young prospects with higher upsides in a Miller deal.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
You assume he is quote "My guy", you are misinformed. Necas is a nothing player who canes fans hope become a real player based on pace and a low shooting percentage last season
Necas is now under contract and locked in for two years and will still be a RFA at the end of the deal.

JT Miller is just a rental that is a UFA looking for a huge raise next summer. Not a lot of value in that thesis today for a playoff team that probably won’t the the cap space to resign him. His real value is in the 2022-23 season and that’s it. Really just want he’ll do in the playoffs. His AAV is such that retention isn’t even particularly valuable. There will be contenders that have banked enough cap space for him by the deadline.

No way you trade a 1st, a NHL ready B+ prospect and young, cost controlled middle six forward for a rental JT Miller.

Miller doesn’t carry that value.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Necas is now under contract and locked in for two years and will still be a RFA at the end of the deal.

JT Miller is just a rental that is a UFA looking for a huge raise next summer. Not a lot of value in that thesis today for a playoff team that probably won’t the the cap space to resign him. His real value is in the 2022-23 season and that’s it. Really just want he’ll do in the playoffs. His AAV is such that retention isn’t even particularly valuable. There will be contenders that have banked enough cap space for him by the deadline.

No way you trade a 1st, a NHL ready B+ prospect and young, cost controlled middle six forward for a rental JT Miller.

In your opinion he doesn't and thats fine. The only piece with solid value to the Canucks in that deal is Drury.

Reactions: McNuge

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Not saying the Hurricanes should make that trade, but if their goal is to win a cup, that trades gives them a much, much better chance of doing so without much of a hit to their roster. Honestly, I think Miller would fit the club perfectly and make them a ligitimate threat in the east. Otherwise they're a good club that looks to make it to the second or third round.

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

When has a player of this caliber been available to add at his cap hit let alone retaining 50% of it? Teams give up firsts for rentals almost every year and I can't think of a single rental that was even close to Miller. The Leafs gave up their first for Foligno...

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Miller will not be an unprecedented rental. Matt Duchene was a center scoring at a 95 point pace at the time of his trade to Columbus. He went for a bubble-in 1st, an intriguing, but not true top prospect (Abramov), a recent late round pick (Davidsson) and poison pill 1st upon re-signing (no longer permitted).

Carolina can afford to pay that type of price at the deadline, if this is the year to go for it in terms of a rental. It's unnecessary to pay a desperation premium right now. The talent is there to make the playoffs sans Pacioretty.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
With Paciorety going on LTIR it opens up a big hole in Carolina's lineup

To Carolina : JT Miller

To Vancouver: Martin Necas, Jack Drury, 2023 1st
I think since the Canucks are trying to target a RHD - that in order for this deal to work Carolina would need to add a sizeable piece to get this deal done

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
When has a player of this caliber been available to add at his cap hit let alone retaining 50% of it? Teams give up firsts for rentals almost every year and I can't think of a single rental that was even close to Miller. The Leafs gave up their first for Foligno...
They’ll get a first+ a decent prospect for JT Miller. I’ve never said they’d get less than a 1st. I’m sure they’ll get one of those.

In your opinion he doesn't and thats fine. The only piece with solid value to the Canucks in that deal is Drury.
A first is always a solid piece so you’re lying about the word “only”.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad