Proposal: JT Miller to Carolina

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
What would Carolina offer for JT Miller, if your deeming him a rental only I am curious what a Carolina fan would be willing to trade for him?
Knowing our asset management the move would be us getting a Hall like trade for him. Seeing that isn’t the case here, we would check in to see the price and say thanks for taking the call. Miller is definitely worth more than a Hall trade so we would wait until the price came down to an acceptable level or goes elsewhere.

Im not in the Crazy cizikas boat as JT is good. Im just in the Canes will not be interested in paying close to the Vancouver asking price boat.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
At the deadline:

2023 1st
2024 2nd
Ryan Suzuki
Filler

Tried to recreate the Duchene deadline deal. Carolina projects to be better than Columbus, so an add is needed to balance the expected value of the pick. Suzuki is the type of prospect that is an interesting gamble, with his 1st round pedigree, but expendable as he’s lost momentum in Carolina’s organization because of injuries. Abramov was the primary prospect going to Ottawa.

Don’t feel strongly about if Miller is the right player and this is the right time, but I do anticipate Carolina going for it one year. The Canes’ deadline approach is not all that unique. Washington didn't move a 1st for a rental until Year 10 of the Ovechkin/Backstrom playoff stretch. Tampa waited until Year 8 of Hedman/Stamkos (Savard). Pittsburgh made the trade for Hossa in Year 2 of Crosby/Malkin, but has only gone back down that road once since (Iginla).

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The press coverage on JT Miller resigning/contract demands increases daily, which I have noticed, is generally a sign that a deal will soon be made.
I think the more obvious targets for the Canes remain Conor Garland and/or Tanner Pearson.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Miller is a great player, but he's also 29 and soon to be a ufa. Whoever acquires or signs him is going to have to give up a long term contract that will handicap the team on the tail end.

Look what Florida gave up to swap out an older soon to be ufa player for a younger one.

Zero chance Carolina is giving up a potential #1 center in Necas and their best prospect in Drury. Both Necas and Drury look like legit cost controlled top six players.

Last edited:

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
Miller isn't that good. Especially to return that kind of package. I would pass if I was CAR.
Hes better than anyone on Carolina not named Aho and exactly the player carolina needs to get over the hump. They will never win with their current roster.

Miller is a great player, but he's also 29 and soon to be a ufa. Whoever acquires or signs him is going to have to give up a long term contract that will handicap the team on the tail end.

Look what Florida gave up to swap out an older soon to be ufa player for a younger one.

Zero chance Carolina is giving up a potential #1 center in Necas and their best prospect in Drury. Both Necas and Drury look like legit cost controlled top six players.
If we are trading him without an extension it probably makes sense for the canucks to trade to a contender against the cap and retain 50% then you get a 80-90 point player for under 3 million that is worth something even for a season.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Hes better than anyone on Carolina not named Aho and exactly the player carolina needs to get over the hump. They will never win with their current roster.

If we are trading him without an extension it probably makes sense for the canucks to trade to a contender against the cap and retain 50% then you get a 80-90 point player for under 3 million that is worth something even for a season.
Miller definitely has lots of value, but giving up 8 years of Necas and Drury is a massive price.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
I would just keep Miller if I were the Canucks.

Weak division where every team has at least one glaring weakness.

Anaham, San Jose - Rebuilding

Vegas - Goaltending

Edmonton - Goaltending and defense

Calgary - Weak down the middle and an inconsistent team from year to year.

LA - Can't score

The Canucks could easily make the playoffs and go on a run if they get the Pacific Division bracket. Teams in the Pacific should be looking at what Edmonton did last year. They got a favourable bracket and made it to the WCF.

Plus the West overall is pretty weak right now. There's only one good team in that conference. You never know what will happen if you make the playoffs.

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
I would just keep Miller if I were the Canucks.

Weak division where every team has at least one glaring weakness.

Anaham, San Jose - Rebuilding

Vegas - Goaltending

Edmonton - Goaltending and defense

Calgary - Weak down the middle and an inconsistent team from year to year.

LA - Can't score

The Canucks could easily make the playoffs and go on a run if they get the Pacific Division bracket. Teams in the Pacific should be looking at what Edmonton did last year. They got a favourable bracket and made it to the WCF.

Plus the West overall is pretty weak right now. There's only one good team in that conference. You never know what will happen if you make the playoffs.
Issue is we can't let him walk for nothing for a playoff run because of previous managements inability to stock the cupboards with prospects.....we have very little in the pipeline and in a cap era that is not a recipe for winning.

Losing Miller is going to be difficult but its something they have to do.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Issue is we can't let him walk for nothing for a playoff run because of previous managements inability to stock the cupboards with prospects.....we have very little in the pipeline and in a cap era that is not a recipe for winning.

Losing Miller is going to be difficult but its something they have to do.

Why not? Columbus did that with Panarin and eliminated a 62 win team. The Canucks are probably not gonna win the Cup but there's a lot more to the NHL than winning the Cup or tanking.

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
Why not? Columbus did that with Panarin and eliminated a 62 win team. The Canucks are probably not gonna win the Cup but there's a lot more to the NHL than winning the Cup or tanking.
Columbus was in a bit different situation. Canucks have a young core group that they want to build around and we have already played that game. Elite teams win cups not fringe playoff teams.

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
This is a pretty loser mentality. You should always be gunning to win the cup above everything else. Anything less is futility.

I would trade three Canucks cup final appearances (all of which were fun runs) for one cup win. Even if it meant being a bottom of the barrel team for those other years, and it isn't even close for me.

Cianide

Under New Management
Jun 11, 2022
No he's just not that good. Makes a living in front of the net. He's old too. Wouldn't trade for him or sign him.

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
This is a pretty loser mentality. You should always be gunning to win the cup above everything else. Anything less is futility.

I would trade three Canucks cup final appearances (all of which were fun runs) for one cup win. Even if it meant being a bottom of the barrel team for those other years, and it isn't even close for me.

There about 20 teams going into next year that know they're not winning the Cup. That doesn't mean all 20 should be tanking. This isn't the NBA.

LBCANUCK

Jun 26, 2012
No he's just not that good. Makes a living in front of the net. He's old too. Wouldn't trade for him or sign him.
you obviously don't watch games, go look at his highlights and tell me how many of those are net front goals. Hes also two years younger than kadri whos going to sign a 7 year deal so obviously there is a market.

There about 20 teams going into next year that know they're not winning the Cup. That doesn't mean all 20 should be tanking. This isn't the NBA.
its all about timing your run, it will never be perfect timing but you have to know when you have a legit shot at being in the top 4 teams and then add to it.

Reactions: SiZ

MadeUpName

Mar 24, 2022
Miller is considerably better, is younger, and cheaper than Giroux, so I’m not sure why people are using that return as a comparison, even as a rental.

Because rentals never get more than a late 1st + decent prospect. No team is giving up the whole farm to add JT Miller for one Cup run.

Patrick Kane or Pastrnak as a rental may be able to pull in multiple 1sts or a young top-6 forward like Necas. Both are significantly more desirable.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I think paying a 1st + for JT Miller is a fair trade, depending on how much the "+" is. Canes fans are really reluctant to go down this route, however, knowing full well we won't pay him for an extension. We can't afford to do so as it would a) hurt us for years 5-7 or 8 of the deal) and b) it'd price us out of our summer of 2024 extensions to Aho+Teuvo+Jarvis+Pesce+Skjei+Necas. It's a nightmare summer for us and we will need to have oodles of cap space to make it work. Or, put another way, each of these players could feasibly get $2M+ raises, particularly Seth Jarvis. We probably can't do all of them anyway, and if we sign JT Miller it prices us out of more. I'd just rather keep this core group we have.

Since we already dealt a 1st last year for Kotkaniemi, I'd be real hesitant to sell another 1st this early in the year. It'd be more tempting if we arrive at the deadline and we're looking like a contender again. But nevertheless, I don't think the Canes would give up 1st level assets for one year of any player, whether or not that one year is worth it. They'd rather pinch pennies and get depreciated valued assets.

In a vacuum, JT Miller may well be worth Necas+ or Drury+, but I just don't see the Canes paying the fair price. Put another way, the Canes are like me shopping for dinner at an airport. Rather than splurge $15 for some crappy tacos, I'll spend $4 on yogurt and crackers and call it a day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad