Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
His skating is a full step behind NHL level .He looks like is in slow motion .
Not a good look .

Do they even play defense?
You are not showing your pedigree as a scout. Good players make others look foolish defensively. As for his skating, it is not very fast, but it has not slowed him down at any level of competition, junior, AHL (1 game) or WJC (2x). He is the kind of player who slows the game down and quietly makes the right play. From someone who needed to improve his defensive play in earlier seasons, he has necome a very solid two way player thanks to his smarts. It is kind of reminescent of Suzuki the way he plays well defensively by not losing the puck, being well positionned and making smart plays.

I think he will be a solid contributor.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
You are not showing your pedigree as a scout. Good players make others look foolish defensively. As for his skating, it is not very fast, but it has not slowed him down at any level of competition, junior, AHL (1 game) or WJC (2x). He is the kind of player who slows the game down and quietly makes the right play. From someone who needed to improve his defensive play in earlier seasons, he has necome a very solid two way player thanks to his smarts. It is kind of reminescent of Suzuki the way he plays well defensively by not losing the puck, being well positionned and making smart plays.

Yep, that's it, he used his high hockey IQ to his advantage, like, just look at his last goal, he literally put the 3 opponents to sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLONG7

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

If he doesn’t improve his skating he won’t be playing in the bigs.

Jul 6, 2016
99 points. The kid needs a new challenge
AHL is his next step ! I hope first that he will help his team reach the Q Finals and maybe the Memorial Cup this season. Gonna be hard with Quebec, Halifax and Gatineau's power houses.

If he doesn’t improve his skating he won’t be playing in the bigs.
His skating is just fine and will improve, no doubt.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I'm not sceptic about his future. he will improve enough in skating and will naturally continue his success in nhl. This kid is too smart to not succeed in nhl. Apart from skating, he have everything. IQ is more useful than skating. I take him before Petrov, Lind, Palushai or Byron.

What does Bedard know ?
If we draft Bedard he can start a pair with Roy in 2 years.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
I'm not sceptic about his future. he will improve enough in skating and will naturally continue his success in nhl. This kid is too smart to not succeed in nhl. Apart from skating, he have everything. IQ is more useful than skating. I take him before Petrov, Lind, Palushai or Byron.

Or Michkov.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I think you are completely off your rocker. We will see who is right.
You mean, we will see who Wright is?

I really like Roy, but he's a special kind of player in the mold of Mike Ribeiro (hopefully without the drug addiction). That personality tangent doesn't always work well with other children...

Jul 6, 2016
You mean, we will see who Wright is?

I really like Roy, but he's a special kind of player in the mold of Mike Ribeiro (hopefully without the drug addiction). That personality tangent doesn't always work well with other children...
He is a leader of the Sherbrooke team, and he was a key cog inthe last Canada Team in Halifax....

Anyway, Habs should had spent a bit more time scouting the Q league kids. I can't understand they overlooked Dumais for Rohrer. Or have forgotten big kids with scoring touch like Batherson, Dufour, Nadeau or Melanson. Nicolas Roy and Anthony Duclair in a not that far past were forgotten to draft guys like Crisp and some other unknown kids who never reached NHL. I am glad to finally see a kid like RHP having a fair chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dutronc

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Certainly seems like he is heading towards an NHL career, but will likely be in the A for at least 1-2 seasons...

The future is bright guys.....we need kids like this to develop in the A ( Pleks ) and when he hits the NHL he stays.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
His skating is just fine and will improve, no doubt.

His skating certainly is not "just fine", it is obviously a weakness but some players like Toffoli, Stone, O'Reilly etc learn to work around it with their IQ. Joshua appears to be that type of player but it is still an unknown as far as how his game will translate.

I feel good about his potential, I am more concerned with how his personality meshes with the team and the culture that MSL is trying to establish. Hopefully it is a nothing burger and he integrates seamlessly.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl and mdk

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Yeah, drafting based on need is a great strategy.

No team needs small, slow skaters, and they know that they can draft them later if they do want them.

This is why every team passed on him multiple times and 95 players were selected before him despite having put up more points than anyone in the draft. This happens all the time where fans make a darling based on stats then claim that they were right the following season when the player does it again in their junior league. The Dumais profile is rarely successful and even if he does make it he will likely be a player that only plays for bad teams as most good teams won't want to go into the playoffs with players like this. To arbitrarily claim that it was a mistake to not take him without Dumais showing anything different from his draft year other than the advantage of being a year older in junior is kind of ridiculous.

I am not saying that he can not possibly be good and even be a good player on a good NHL team but team's generally draft with the intent to take players that they believe have a better chance of being championship pieces and he does not fit that profile.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad