Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lots of players don’t improve their skating and then they don’t make it and are forgotten entities. The players that drastically improve their skating at 19-20 years old isn’t a big list.
So if you want a team that possesses speed, you generally can’t manufacture it from guys who don’t have their skating down pat early. You either draft them that way or have to live with a low ceiling skating ability.

And Hughes is already on record about how one of the key attributes of the team he’s building is to be a fast skating team.

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Point was always a good skater he just wasn't a burner....Roy was a terrible skater but has improved to the point that he is still not a strong skater at all but may be smart enough to compensate for his obvious skating deficiencies.

I am going to have to state this again.......every single player in the NHL has had skating coaches and have taken power skating lessons growing up. This fan perspective that there is some Eureka moment on the horizon by supplying a magical skating coach is just nonsense. Skating is like running, in most cases you either can or you can not and coaches only maximize the finite potential that your particular genetic bottleneck will allow. Some players have such awful technique that there can be significant improvement as they may not have listened to earlier coaches or growth spurts sent their mechanics into the blender. In Roy's case he just seems to naturally have a choppy stride and stiff hips and will need to continue to adapt his game to a skating stride that will never be an advantage to him.
what i have said about Point was his own words, explaining why teams passed on him and why he himself never thought at that time , that he would be one day able to do what he's doing now. About every players having skating coach, i am not buying this at all, but i am not in touch with the players so it's only a guess from me . One thing is sure ; you can get a skating coach, but it doesn't mean that you get a good one. Just look how all Habs player are talking about their new skills training coach. He's a good one , maybe even a great one. There is also that speed skater woman that is very good at teaching and correcting the way players skate

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
what i have said about Point was his own words, explaining why teams passed on him and why he himself never thought at that time , that he would be one day able to do what he's doing now. About every players having skating coach, i am not buying this at all, but i am not in touch with the players so it's only a guess from me . One thing is sure ; you can get a skating coach, but it doesn't mean that you get a good one. Just look how all Habs player are talking about their new skills training coach. He's a good one , maybe even a great one. There is also that speed skater woman that is very good at teaching and correcting the way players skate
Barb Underhill?

Reactions: salbutera

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Damn, a 17 year old with aspirations to be a pro athlete had 25 lbs to lose?

You sure?
It's coming from him, but maybe he said 20-25 pounds . When he has been traded, he he said that the training in his new team was very important and that all players were serious about it. They were eating well, had good training facilities and équipements . ( told that with his previous team the players were always eating junk foods )

Barb Underhill?
you are right, and she's a fantasy dance skater ( i just edit this answer )

You are from New Zealand ??? not living there i guess, if you are a Habs fan

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Barb Underhill?
Yup - Stevie Y had hired Underhill as consultant to work with Point right after being drafted. Al Murray (chief scout) had been tracking Point & Cirelli from the time each was 14 while he was Team Canada’s chief scout.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm involved with hockey development and what @Estimated_Prophet said is true. Almost every high end prospect in North America has had skating coaches, gone through hundreds of hours of power skating, private sessions etc. I guarantee that Joshua Roy, a former 1st overall pick in the Q, has had many skating consults since he was a young kid. Major junior teams and especially a rich one like Saint John SeaDogs, who drafted him, would also have skating coaches and consultants.

Point has benefited from coaching from Barb Underhill in Tampa and the Lightning also have a skating consultant named Jamie Heffernan who Point has given credit to and who also does consults with many upstart minor hockey players in New Brunswick. Point had a better starting point than Roy however and despite it being mentioned as something needing work during his draft year, Point's skating wasn't viewed as an albatross like it was for Roy.

Roy's skating has improved but I still don't know whether he'll have a successful NHL career or ever collect an NHL pension because of it. Talk to any U18 AAA coach (these teams also tap into instructors who specialize in skating) and they'll tell you how hard it is to drastically alter a kid's mechanics for the better after so many years of muscle memory.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
I'm involved with hockey development and what @Estimated_Prophet said is true. Almost every high end prospect in North America has had skating coaches, gone through hundreds of hours of power skating, private sessions etc. I guarantee that Joshua Roy, a former 1st overall pick in the Q, has had many skating consults since he was a young kid. Major junior teams and especially a rich one like Saint John SeaDogs, who drafted him, would also have skating coaches and consultants.

Point has benefited from coaching from Barb Underhill in Tampa and the Lightning also have a skating consultant named Jamie Heffernan who Point has given credit to and who also does consults with many upstart minor hockey players in New Brunswick. Point had a better starting point than Roy however and despite it being mentioned as something needing work during his draft year, Point's skating wasn't viewed as an albatross like it was for Roy.

Roy's skating has improved but I still don't know whether he'll have a successful NHL career or ever collect an NHL pension because of it. Talk to any U18 AAA coach (these teams also tap into instructors who specialize in skating) and they'll tell you how hard it is to drastically alter a kid's mechanics for the better after so many years of muscle memory.
thanks to share your thoughts on that . But may i say that it confirms what i said ; getting a skating coach doesn't mean getting a good coach. If Roy has had coaches for that long and that his skating is still a question mark, it says to me that those teachers were garbage.

Skating isn't that hard to teach as you can see here

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
thanks to share your thoughts on that . But may i say that it confirms what i said ; getting a skating coach doesn't mean getting a good coach. If Roy has had coaches for that long and that his skating is still a question mark, it says to me that those teachers were garbage.

Skating isn't that hard to teach as you can see here

Barb Underhill has had success with some and no success with others. It is nearly impossible to improve a player's skating if he is already maximizing his genetic ceiling.

Do you also believe that a running instructor can make slow runner's fast lol?

I am sorry but your take is purely fantastical nonsense. It is very apparent that you have never played the game.

Every skating coach that works with potential NHLers are the very best at what they do, it is D+D level fantasy to actually believe that coaches can make any player fast.

I have proven long ago that the Point story was mostly myth as John Cooper pointed out that Point was a good skater before Underhill but Brayden just needed a little more due to his size. It should also be pointed out that Point would have gained explosiveness as he matured at the age that Underhill worked with him. It is difficult to know how much was her instruction and how much was from him maturing physically.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Joshua Roy, our great French-Canadian hope.

Liked him since day 1. I predict a bright future for him wearing Les Canadiens de Montréal jersey.

Reactions: Guillermo

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
You have not read a credible scouting report if it says that Roy's skating is even average. Coincidentally there aren't any credible scouts online as they are just regular unathletic betas who have never played or even been around real scouts but share their entirely uninformed opinion with the masses.

It takes serious blinders and/or a complete lack of scouting acumen to not see that he has below average speed.
His lack of speed isn’t even debatable. I don’t know why sone are trying to pretend he’s a fast skater or this isn’t an area that needs to improve. Going to be some disappointed Habs fans as per usual.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
So if you want a team that possesses speed, you generally can’t manufacture it from guys who don’t have their skating down pat early. You either draft them that way or have to live with a low ceiling skating ability.

And Hughes is already on record about how one of the key attributes of the team he’s building is to be a fast skating team.
Exactly.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
A Running coach can make everyone fast-er. ;)

A skating coach should make a player fast-er. ;)

Robitaille sucked as a skater. Somehow, made the NHL and scored a few along the way... :)

Roy can definitely stand to continue improving his skating, but I don't think he doesn't make the NHL if he doesn't.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Joshua Roy, our great French-Canadian hope.

Liked him since day 1. I predict a bright future for him wearing Les Canadiens de Montréal jersey.
He certainly won't fit the Flying Frenchmen category of past Habs.

A Running coach can make everyone fast-er. ;)

A skating coach should make a player fast-er. ;)

Robitaille sucked as a skater. Somehow, made the NHL and scored a few along the way... :)

Roy can definitely stand to continue improving his skating, but I don't think he doesn't make the NHL if he doesn't.
Roy will certainly get games in the NHL. The big question is will his skating issues keep him from having an effective NHL career? Not sure if he'll ever receive an NHL pension. Talk of the NHL expanding to 34 teams in the near future will help his cause.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Straight line speed is very fast. Suzuki is a speedster, what are you even talking about?

Suzuki is alright with his skating and he does have good acceleration when he needs it but he's not that fast or in the elite skating level category.

Suzuki is not really a puck possession center. He holds his own but Dach has better ability to carry it from zone to zone when dealing with some contact. This is why I like Dach on the Suzuki and Caufield line. They work very well together. Dach brings some physicality and puck carrying to that line and his vision is also very good like Suzuki.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Straight line speed is very fast. Suzuki is a speedster, what are you even talking about?
What?

Suzuki can skate fast from time to time, but generally speaking he skates slow and slows the pace down.

Hell I’d argue that Roy is probably not a worse skater than Suzuki already.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He certainly won't fit the Flying Frenchmen category of past Habs.

Roy will certainly get games in the NHL. The big question is will his skating issues keep him from having an effective NHL career? Not sure if he'll ever receive an NHL pension. Talk of the NHL expanding to 34 teams in the near future will help his cause.

Roy will need to be played with a good center IMO. He's smart and knows where to be but he will need his other two line mates to be puck carriers.

I've heard the Toffoli comparison before and I agree with it. Spot on

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Seems like he could be a good line mate for Dach in that sense.

Dach too yes. There is another option to play Anderson with Suzuki and Caufield as well.

This is why I find it funny where some fans think our center search is done with Suzuki and Dach with us now. Add Dubois and this gives you very good options. Slaf could be with Dubois and Dach but so can Roy.

Even if we don't get one of Bedard or Fantilli, Smith is a good pick IMO. Suzuki, Dubois, Dach, Smith and you can tinker with chemistry while you mix in our young wingers in those top 3 lines.

We can tinker with so many different options moving forward

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad