Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It's hard to really complain about taking Engstrom at 92 instead of Dumais. We'll see about Rohrer but he's an intriguing prospect as well.

Yeah I'm not complaining about Engstrom.

Either instead of Rohrer (though I'm not an expert on the peospects) or getting back another 3rd, as we had traded one. At any rate, I'm not an expert on junior players. Just a local guy that was amd still is standing out. And this is the Roy thread. So we'll see how Dumais turns out and can discuss in another thread in the future.

Last edited:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
There is plenty of doubt.
may i ask you to name them please ?

About his skating, It was a very big concern before he was drafted. But as sooon as he was traded that season, he started to train. During the summertime, Roy lost 25 pounds of fat. So , he was already faster the next season, but as it 's happen frequently with skating issue, fans keep in their mind, what they saw or read at first. Roy is a coaches player, he listens well and works hard . He will work on his skating, he will work to be stronger and him/Habs are going to get him an instructor for that .

You do know that Point had the same problem in juniors ? Tampa gave him a skating coach and now he's fast

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

About his skating, It was a very big concern before he was drafted. But as sooon as he was traded that season, he started to train. During the summertime, Roy lost 25 pounds of fat. So , he was already faster the next season, but as it 's happen frequently with skating issue, fans keep in their mind, what they saw or read at first. Roy is a coaches player, he listens well and works hard . He will work on his skating, he will work to be stronger and him/Habs are going to get him an instructor for that .

You do know that Point had the same problem in juniors ? Tampa gave him a skating coach and now he's fast

Point was always a good skater he just wasn't a burner....Roy was a terrible skater but has improved to the point that he is still not a strong skater at all but may be smart enough to compensate for his obvious skating deficiencies.

I am going to have to state this again.......every single player in the NHL has had skating coaches and have taken power skating lessons growing up. This fan perspective that there is some Eureka moment on the horizon by supplying a magical skating coach is just nonsense. Skating is like running, in most cases you either can or you can not and coaches only maximize the finite potential that your particular genetic bottleneck will allow. Some players have such awful technique that there can be significant improvement as they may not have listened to earlier coaches or growth spurts sent their mechanics into the blender. In Roy's case he just seems to naturally have a choppy stride and stiff hips and will need to continue to adapt his game to a skating stride that will never be an advantage to him.

NewGenScout

Apr 22, 2022
Yeah I'm not complaining about Engstrom.

Either instead of Rohrer (though I'm not an expert on the peospects) or getting back another 3rd, as we had traded one. At any rate, I'm not an expert on junior players. Just a local guy that was amd still is standing out. And this is the Roy thread. So we'll see how Dumais turns out and can discuss in another thread in the future.
I agree that Dumais has nothing to do here in this thread. And yes, teams draft in terms of need and the Habs have a bunch of Smurfs in their top prospect pools and now we are all super excited to have Farrell and RHP to complement Caufield, Suzuki and Roy, Kidney and others are not that big and strong.

On the other side, a team like Columbus had drafted 2 Top Ds in 1st round that they thought they will be A+ NHL prospects and they did not need Engstrom at all as they also have many other nice D prospects. Dumais was fitting very well with their needs, with the Habs, we will survive even if he becomes very good.

Jul 6, 2016
His skating certainly is not "just fine", it is obviously a weakness but some players like Toffoli, Stone, O'Reilly etc learn to work around it with their IQ. Joshua appears to be that type of player but it is still an unknown as far as how his game will translate.

I feel good about his potential, I am more concerned with how his personality meshes with the team and the culture that MSL is trying to establish. Hopefully it is a nothing burger and he integrates seamlessly.
I have no worries about that. he made a huge adjustment between his first and second season in the Q, especially under a new coach in Sherbrooke.

I saw Dumais a lot in Halifax, I wouldn't have taken him before he went. Good junior player
have you seen Rohrer ?

I agree that Dumais has nothing to do here in this thread. And yes, teams draft in terms of need and the Habs have a bunch of Smurfs in their top prospect pools and now we are all super excited to have Farrell and RHP to complement Caufield, Suzuki and Roy, Kidney and others are not that big and strong.

On the other side, a team like Columbus had drafted 2 Top Ds in 1st round that they thought they will be A+ NHL prospects and they did not need Engstrom at all as they also have many other nice D prospects. Dumais was fitting very well with their needs, with the Habs, we will survive even if he becomes very good.
Is Rohrer a giant ? No.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Damn, a 17 year old with aspirations to be a pro athlete had 25 lbs to lose?

You sure?
Im not sure if its 25 lbs but he did lose a lot of weight. He came in from Midget with all the talent in the world and thought his life was about to be as easy as it had been. That's why he fell to the 5th round. The Habs gambled on him, and Roy realized that to be the best, he needed to change his approach, and here we are today. His appetite to being the very best he can be is very encouraging as a prospect.

Note that his shot was a weakness when he came into the Q too, he was basically scoring all his goals like Drouin. Deke out people and deke out the goaltender, in his Q rookie year he worked a lot on this.

He's basically the same story as Drouin, except he put in the work.

Reactions: Kojo and DAChampion

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I have no worries about that. he made a huge adjustment between his first and second season in the Q, especially under a new coach in Sherbrooke.

have you seen Rohrer ?

Is Rohrer a giant ? No.
Rorher isn't a giant but he can skate like very few can, has underrated toughness to his game and he produced well the last two years. The injury he had this year slowed him down but Im still very happy with the pick.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Skating is something that can be improved with proper exercices and teaching. Lots of kids have done it thru the years. Suzuki is not the fastest rabbit out there.
Lots of players don’t improve their skating and then they don’t make it and are forgotten entities. The players that drastically improve their skating at 19-20 years old isn’t a big list.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018

Roy still is a below average skater and taking the exceptions to the rules like Point won’t change that.

Reactions: Runner77

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Personally, I take the high horse stance that nothing changes and that whatever anyone says, Roy still sucks as a skater with a HUMONGOUS grain of salt.

Those posters are not avid followers of Roy or his team and I've read scouting reports that say, while skating his not one of his strengths, it is not a weakness for Roy that will hold him back in the NHL.

What's more important about Roy is that he was mostly a straight line skater and shooter when he first appeared on the scene in Juniors, and that has game has diversified, while improving in every aspect during his Junior years so far.

Her's become a multi-faceted player at a high level because of his outstanding hockey IQ. His defense has improved to a level where he can excel against the opponent's best players and won't lose ice time because of a lack of defensive awareness.

His board play and puck possession make him a threat to come out with the puck and create offense in the O-zone.

His average skating gets compensated by his ability to now play east/west and slow down/accelerate the game as he takes control of the play.

Roy will have an impact in the NHL, whether it is as a two-way third liner or a productive top-6 player.

Hopefully, it's the latter, but I can't wait to find out.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Personally, I take the high horse stance that nothing changes and that whatever anyone says, Roy still sucks as a skater with a HUMONGOUS grain of salt.

Those posters are not avid followers of Roy or his team and I've read scouting reports that say, while skating his not one of his strengths, it is not a weakness for Roy that will hold him back in the NHL.

What's more important about Roy is that he was mostly a straight line skater and shooter when he first appeared on the scene in Juniors, and that has game has diversified, while improving in every aspect during his Junior years so far.

Her's become a multi-faceted player at a high level because of his outstanding hockey IQ. His defense has improved to a level where he can excel against the opponent's best players and won't lose ice time because of a lack of defensive awareness.

His board play and puck possession make him a threat to come out with the puck and create offense in the O-zone.

His average skating gets compensated by his ability to now play east/west and slow down/accelerate the game as he takes control of the play.

Roy will have an impact in the NHL, whether it is as a two-way third liner or a productive top-6 player.

Just a final thought on Roy's skating. If he doesn't improve to the level of carrying a play with his skating, he's smart enough to adapt to the line he is on, as he did at the WJC and become a pivotal element on that line in his own way.

Not too concerned at all...

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
Skating is something that can be improved with proper exercices and teaching. Lots of kids have done it thru the years. Suzuki is not the fastest rabbit out there.
He's actually very fast, looks slow though. I think Roy is in the same position, he slows the game all the time, but he can skate fast.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

You have not read a credible scouting report if it says that Roy's skating is even average. Coincidentally there aren't any credible scouts online as they are just regular unathletic betas who have never played or even been around real scouts but share their entirely uninformed opinion with the masses.

It takes serious blinders and/or a complete lack of scouting acumen to not see that he has below average speed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
You have not read a credible scouting report if it says that Roy's skating is even average. Coincidentally there aren't any credible scouts online as they are just regular unathletic betas who have never played or even been around real scouts but share their entirely uninformed opinion with the masses.

It takes serious blinders and/or a complete lack of scouting acumen to not see that he has below average speed.
Lmao

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010

I’m surprised you didn’t somehow throw in cuck somewhere in there

Damn :laugh:

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
So much talk about how "bad" his skating is. Which I realize in a draft year scenario, It can be in issue with deciding where to rank him.

2 years of watching him play hockey at an elite level, you can realize why its becoming less of a problem even with his solid improvement in that area.

He's a player that can control the flow, aka make the game happen at his pace when he has the puck. Few players can do that. Controlling the speed of the game is a massively underrated skill. That was the concern skating wise, and the specifics in his skating that he worked on have been the away from the puck areas, which is also why you've seen him take such big strides in his defensive game. Skating is not an issue.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So much talk about how "bad" his skating is. Which I realize in a draft year scenario, It can be in issue with deciding where to rank him.

2 years of watching him play hockey at an elite level, you can realize why its becoming less of a problem even with his solid improvement in that area.

He's a player that can control the flow, aka make the game happen at his pace when he has the puck. Few players can do that. Controlling the speed of the game is a massively underrated skill. That was the concern skating wise, and the specifics in his skating that he worked on have been the away from the puck areas, which is also why you've seen him take such big strides in his defensive game. Skating is not an issue.

Skating is an issue for any player that doesn't have it and it will bite them in the ass from time to time. This deficiency can be mitigated with positioning and anticipation but there is not a single slower player, no matter how successful that does not wish to be faster.

I think Roy has exceptional vision and anticipation so he should be fine. If he was a plus skater he would have a Kucherov level ceiling but he is not so you can never say that skating is not an issue as it can still limit a good players ceiling if they don't have it. Skating will not keep him out of the NHL but it will limit his upside even if it is still relatively high.

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Skating is an issue for any player that doesn't have it and it will bite them in the ass from time to time. This deficiency can be mitigated with positioning and anticipation but there is not a single slower player, no matter how successful that does not wish to be faster.

I think Roy has exceptional vision and anticipation so he should be fine. If he was a plus skater he would have a Kucherov level ceiling but he is not so you can never say that skating is not an issue as it can still limit a good players ceiling if they don't have it. Skating will not keep him out of the NHL but it will limit his upside even if it is still relatively high.
When I said skating isnt an issue I was talking for Roy specifically, right now, especially compared to how people are talking about him.

Yes. Skating is an issue for anyone who doesnt have it. For Roy, that conversation should be slowlying down SIGNIFICANTLY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad