Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Point was always a good skater he just wasn't a burner....Roy was a terrible skater but has improved to the point that he is still not a strong skater at all but may be smart enough to compensate for his obvious skating deficiencies.

I am going to have to state this again.......every single player in the NHL has had skating coaches and have taken power skating lessons growing up. This fan perspective that there is some Eureka moment on the horizon by supplying a magical skating coach is just nonsense. Skating is like running, in most cases you either can or you can not and coaches only maximize the finite potential that your particular genetic bottleneck will allow. Some players have such awful technique that there can be significant improvement as they may not have listened to earlier coaches or growth spurts sent their mechanics into the blender. In Roy's case he just seems to naturally have a choppy stride and stiff hips and will need to continue to adapt his game to a skating stride that will never be an advantage to him.
True.
It's impossible to turn a player into a wide track power skater for example if it is not their natural stride. The one thing that can be worked on is what you touched upon with Point. First Step, Acceleration and or Change of Pace. This can be enough to move the skating needle particularly with forwards. It is the one aspect all runners who use some form of sprint are constantly working on and talking about. i.e. getting out of the blocks or a runner with great kick. Hockey is the same it has to be constantly worked upon. The graph noted above does not measure this aspect of skating at all but flat out top speed.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
What?

Suzuki can skate fast from time to time, but generally speaking he skates slow and slows the pace down.

Hell I’d argue that Roy is probably not a worse skater than Suzuki already.
Suzuki seems to have poor stamina, which is probably a bigger problem than his skating technic not being elite.

Reactions: Paddy17

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Suzuki seems to have poor stamina, which is probably a bigger problem than his skating technic not being elite.
Suzuki can be deceptively fast but is not explosive which he can get better at. As for stamina that just isn't true. He simply doesn't run around all over the place like a chicken with it's head cut off for no reason. Go watch his game live from above and you'll see what I mean. Suzuki has made improvements this year in cutting down his shift times and is very often the first member of his line off the ice. The only time he does drag it a bit is if he senses an open ice or odd man situation. Suzuki will seem to have poor Stamina when he's on the ice too long and can't take advantage of a break. Just like every other player in the league.

As for Roy the one thing we can hope for is that he gets quicker.

Jul 6, 2016
Suzuki is not "very fast" lol, he has improved to the point that he has average NHL speed.
If Suzuki has improved, Roy can improve too. Stop hitting the same nail over and over again to discredit Roy's potential to reach NHL level.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yes @Estimated_Prophet , i know nothing about skating.

Dude, that's a weak counterargument.

1) It's limited to whichever skaters were in the skills competition.
2) it's about straight line maximum speed from a point of rest. NHL skating is about that and also about acceleration, deceleration, skating to the side, skating backwards, etc. and doing it either fresh or when tired.

Uunless you actually believe that Suzuki is 99.6% the skater that McDavid is.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
If Suzuki has improved, Roy can improve too. Stop hitting the same nail over and over again to discredit Roy's potential to reach NHL level.

Reading comprehension is something that you immediately should look to improve....not only would you realize that I am not "hitting the same nail", you would realize that you have entirely misunderstood my statements. I keep saying that he is not a strong skater but he is likely going to make the NHL because of his other qualities. I have only said that his skating will limit his ceiling which can still be relatively high.....

Gawd...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Dude, that's a weak counterargument.

1) It's limited to whichever skaters were in the skills competition.
2) it's about straight line maximum speed from a point of rest. NHL skating is about that and also about acceleration, deceleration, skating to the side, skating backwards, etc. and doing it either fresh or when tired.

Uunless you actually believe that Suzuki is 99.6% the skater that McDavid is.
It still is something. Suzuki plays slow and is often over player, thus tired. He's not slow like the prophet said.

Reactions: DAChampion

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
You clearly know absolutely nothing about skating.
Barb Underhill has had success with some and no success with others. It is nearly impossible to improve a player's skating if he is already maximizing his genetic ceiling.

Do you also believe that a running instructor can make slow runner's fast lol?

I am sorry but your take is purely fantastical nonsense. It is very apparent that you have never played the game.

Every skating coach that works with potential NHLers are the very best at what they do, it is D+D level fantasy to actually believe that coaches can make any player fast.

I have proven long ago that the Point story was mostly myth as John Cooper pointed out that Point was a good skater before Underhill but Brayden just needed a little more due to his size. It should also be pointed out that Point would have gained explosiveness as he matured at the age that Underhill worked with him. It is difficult to know how much was her instruction and how much was from him maturing physically.
Thank you to enlighten us with your expertise. As you said, me and the other fan know nothing about skating, and my take was a purely fantastical nonsense ! I am also astonished to acknowledge that you have proved that Point was lying when he said that he was a poor skater. Wow ! He should be a very humble and modest person to fake he was bad at skating :amazed:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He certainly won't fit the Flying Frenchmen category of past Habs.

Roy will certainly get games in the NHL. The big question is will his skating issues keep him from having an effective NHL career? Not sure if he'll ever receive an NHL pension. Talk of the NHL expanding to 34 teams in the near future will help his cause.
This take is deplorable.

Reactions: 1909 and Dutronc

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Thank you to enlighten us with your expertise. As you said, me and the other fan know nothing about skating, and my take was a purely fantastical nonsense ! I am also astonished to acknowledge that you have proved that Point was lying when he said that he was a poor skater. Wow ! He should be a very humble and modest person to fake he was bad at skating :amazed:

Maybe if you were quoting actual statements but instead you are paraphrasing warped versions from your imagination.

From John Cooper himself:

Cooper said. “He had all the attributes. He had the hockey sense, the competitiveness, he had all the hockey player traits you need, except shockingly enough, he didn’t have the speed he has now. All he did was improve his skating. He’s gone from an OK, decent skater to an exceptional skater.”

Once again, Point was never a poor skater he just wasn't fast and certainly not fast enough for his size. It is also impossible how to know how much of his improvement was from physical maturation and how much was from Underhill.

Caufield made significant gains from his D+1 to his D+2 season mostly based on strength but if he had Barb Underhill everyone would be giving her all of the credit......that is mostly fantasy land nonsense.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
Do you also believe that a running instructor can make slow runner's fast lol?
I was playing right field in the QBMJL and I had a good bat but no speed. I mean I was carrying a piano on my shoulders all the way to first base; the infielder had time for a coffee before throwing me out!

I went to Uni in phys ed and we had a track and field course as part of the curriculum. I learned to sprint and finished 3rd of my class of 22, 2nd if you exclude the winner who was already on Canada's olympic 100m team going to the Montreal games next summer.

When I got back to the baseball Q, I was having bunt singles and stealing bases. As a coach, I taught running to many baseball players after that and there is really a difference to be made.

I'm not that good at skating, I mean I was the fastest goalie on the ice, which isn't much, but if you can evaluate the player and know what to teach him, you may have surprising results.

My money is on Roy.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
At the beginning, I thought Joshua Roy was our next Hoffman/Drouin, like unidimensionnal winger. During the WJC, he played on PK and was controlling the play. It looked likes it was easy for him. . He is not that small either. His ratio +\- 69 in the Q is also really impressive. He is a smart player and I think, he has a real upside to become an nhl player.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I was playing right field in the QBMJL and I had a good bat but no speed. I mean I was carrying a piano on my shoulders all the way to first base; the infielder had time for a coffee before throwing me out!

I went to Uni in phys ed and we had a track and field course as part of the curriculum. I learned to sprint and finished 3rd of my class of 22, 2nd if you exclude the winner who was already on Canada's olympic 100m team going to the Montreal games next summer.

When I got back to the baseball Q, I was having bunt singles and stealing bases. As a coach, I taught running to many baseball players after that and there is really a difference to be made.

I'm not that good at skating, I mean I was the fastest goalie on the ice, which isn't much, but if you can evaluate the player and know what to teach him, you may have surprising results.

My money is on Roy.
Excellent! Hockey being what it is I'll take the quickness over straight line speed any day. With the number of stops and starts in the game the ability to explode in two to three steps is everything. Obviously you have to add in edge work as well as the ability to "turn on a dime" But for anyone who may think it's McDavid's straightline speed that makes him so dangerous they need to think again. It's always great to have both though right Connor. :D

Jul 6, 2016
Reading comprehension is something that you immediately should look to improve....not only would you realize that I am not "hitting the same nail", you would realize that you have entirely misunderstood my statements. I keep saying that he is not a strong skater but he is likely going to make the NHL because of his other qualities. I have only said that his skating will limit his ceiling which can still be relatively high.....

Gawd...
Stop hitting the same nail . Don't worry, I understand very well what you are writing.

Reactions: Bourdon101

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Cannot believe some are still thinking that Roy will not make it because he is too slow. First he is not slow, even though speed will never be his strenght. His hockey IQ and anticipation are so good that he will not need to be very fast. He will be fast enough to be at the right place at the right time, either to shoot or to make brilliant passes.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Cannot believe some are still thinking that Roy will not make it because he is too slow. First he is not slow, even though speed will never be his strenght. His hockey IQ and anticipation are so good that he will not need to be very fast. He will be fast enough to be at the right place at the right time, either to shoot or to make brilliant passes.
I haven't seen anyone say he won't make it. Many are simply questioning how effective he'll be at the NHL level and whether he'll be able to forge a lengthy career due to his skating. Many dominant junior players over the decades couldn't find success at the NHL level. For every success story like Luc Robitaille, there are countless stories of players with skating question marks who couldn't handle the NHL pace.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad