Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

Expos94

May 13, 2022
Hutson - ?????
Guhle - Mailloux
Xhekaj - Barron
Harris

That's the D of the future, with the Habs needing a physical, two-=way, shutdown D to pair up with Hutson.

Hutson, at 5'10", would be the smallest d on the back end and Harris, as a third pairing D who sits at 5'11" would be the 2nd smallest D. There would be no two small Ds on the same pairing and styles would complement the pairings.

About as perfect a size/skill matchup as possible on the backend, with the possibility to mix and match according to game situations where we could see Mailloux and Hutson on the PP, foregoing some defensive acumen for offensive overload, or Guhle with Hutson's pairing partner for a shutdown pair when the game situation calls for it.

Up front, we should stop acting like MON is looking strictly to get small, skilled forwards at the draft. After all, HuGo just went against the grain the they selected Slafkovsky with their 1st OA pick in 2022.

Surely, unless we were to luck out on the Bedard Derby (he's 5'10", still), we'd likely pick one of Fantilli (6'2") or Carlsson (6'3") if we were to select in the top-3.

If MON ends up picking 7th or 8th OA and Michkov (5'10") had slipped to that rank, however, I wouldn't be surprised if the Habs did select the smaller natured winger since he is an exceptional talent and delaying his arrival in the NHL could provide both skill and an ELC contract at a time where HuGo would want to maximize their cap structure in order to keep an opening Cup window open for the longest possible time.

If it came down to adding Michkov, rather than a Fantilli or a Carlsson, we'd definitely need to reorganize the forward lineup.

That's why I believe that acquiring a power forward that can play C or W in Dubois becomes an important component to building a winning lineup.

With Dubois, Dach and Slafkovsky in the top-6, plus Suzuki who is strong and sturdy at 5'11" and 208 lbs, we would have a great mix of size and talent, even with Caufield and Michkov each on their own line.

Slafkovsky (6'3") - Dubois 6'2") - Michkov (5'10")
Caufield (5'7")
- Suzuki (5'11") - Dach (6'4")

Farrel (5'9") - Beck (5'11") - Roy (6'0")

might not be the biggest line, but Farrell's motor would compensate for his smaller stature. Beck, at 5'11" and over 190 lbs, is another strong and sturdy C like Suzuki and his hockey IQ makes him a true competitor that is hard to play against. Roy, at 6'0", 193 lbs, has already demonstrated his skill in retrieving and protecting the puck.

That third line will likely play like a Pitbull.

RHP (5'9")- Evans (6'0") - Heineman (6'0")

may also not be the biggest 4th line, but it comes with speed and forechecking physicality in Evans and Heineman, plus, even, RHP who, despite his smaller stature, is not afraid to initiate contact, even winning a fair percentage of struggles for the loose puck, but, most importantly, knowing what to do with the puck when he comes up with it.

In this forecast of a roster, Mesar gets lost in the tussle and, likely, either becomes a replacement for RHP on the fourth line, bringing a gust of speed to that trio, or trade bait.

he could also beat out Farrell as a 3rd line fixture and Farrell could replace RHP on the fourth line?

Slafkovsky (6'3") - Dubois 6'2") - Michkov (5'10")
Caufield (5'7")
- Suzuki (5'11") - Dach (6'4")
Roy (6'0") - Beck (5'11") - Mesar (5'9")
Farrel (5'9")
- Evans (6'0") - Heineman (6'0")

There'd be a decent mix of size and skill in the top-6, lines that get the most TOI to begin with and any inclination for the third line would combine some puck retrieval skill, some shutdown skill and some speed or bite in the smaller player.

The fourth line, whichever form it ends up taking, will be a strong forechecking, energy line with defensive acumen and complementary offensive upside.

I like this balanced forward lineup, especially with the imposing size that still comes with skill on the backend, where Guhle, Xhekaj and Mailloux, plus whomever we acquire to play with Hutson will be able to bring a physical presence with some bite to the ice. Barron, for his part, will hold his own, without being necessarily intimidating, because of his style of play.

Hutson (5'10") - Grans, as an example (6'4")
Guhle (6'2") - Mailloux (6'3")
Xhekaj ( 6'4") - Barron (6'2")
Harris (5'11")

Plus, we forget, by the time Hutson hits the ice in Montreal, he could be over 6-Foot tall!?
Scrappy fwd lines, I d have Anderson on the 3rd line though and even if I like the 4th line you have it needs to have more size and grit

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Mercer scoring 42 pts in the nhl in his d+2 season is more impressive than Roy winning gold and putting up big numbers in juniors.
Mercer is also on pace for 61 pts this season, which is the kind of production we're hoping to get out of Roy in the nhl.

That's what I was going to write, while Roy was busy winning junior gold medals (WJC is great), Mercer was busy becoming an important part of NJ forward corp in the NHL, already in his young career.

And yeah, hopefully, Roy will follow the same footsteps.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Scrappy fwd lines, I d have Anderson on the 3rd line though and even if I like the 4th line you have it needs to have more size and grit

Heineman is 6'2, though.

But yeah, while there's a lot of potential skill in the lineup (having Michkov and Caufield up front would be crazy good to see), we're, yet again, very small overall, and that's if we get Dubois.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Expos94

May 13, 2022
Heineman is 6'2, though.

But yeah, while there's a lot of potential skill in the lineup (having Michkov and Caufield up front would be crazy good to see), we're, yet again, very small overall, and that's if we get Dubois.
I thought he was 6'0... if he's actually 6'2 he's a keeper with his skating, grit and some scoring touch

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Heineman is 6'2, though.

I think it's OK to have smaller types like Michkov and Caufield but then if you add Farrell, Hutson, and RHP, I do wonder. For now we evaluate, later we work on the flaws when there is a roster clutter cause if several develop well, there will be clutter.

This is why Dubois is important. Best to be strong up the middle. Suzuki/Dubois/Smith would help shelter some of the smaller ones on wing. Someone like Hutson will have to be surrounded with 5 studs like Guhle, Xhekaj, Barron, Mailloux. This is why we are open to move Harris. For now, let Harris improve and sort that out later cause it's possible we can trade Harris for a future later and we can keep our draft power moving forward

I thought he was 6'0... if he's actually 6'2 he's a keeper with his skating, grit and some scoring touch

He's solid. He actually has Anderson potential. Great skater with size and good goal scoring power with his shot. Not going to be a play making winger but he appears to have good game. Especially when points are not produced, he can do good things in other areas including the forecheck.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
The difference from a few years ago is that in D + 2,3 we have multiple players with skillsets and production that gives hope that a player could be a top 6F or top 3D. In years past the best we had was a bunch of D that could be a no.4D or middle forwards.

Hopefully one of our later round picks ( after 2nd ) turns into a top player.

Reactions: DAChampion

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Many still doubts Roy, but this kid has real elite skills. This shorthanded goal yesterday was Caufieldesque. I saw him score similar goals with powerful top net shots on a regular basis in the last two years. I think he could be the surprise player next season.

Also, he proved this year that he will be a complete player. He will finish first in the Q this year in the +/- stat. Last year Roy was +43 in 66 games, this year he is +68 in only 54 games with one game to play today. On 66 games at the same pace he would be +83, almost twice better than last year. I know +/- are in part a team stat, but Sherbrooke were good last year too with a better +/- differential for the whole team. So Roy clearly improved his overall game.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I like that he really doesn’t need a lot of puck touches to be effective. Even if he doesn’t skate super fast, he plays fast because of his high processing speed.

Reactions: Dutronc

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
+69 is impressive. Roy is an exciting prospect for sure.

Larry Robinson once had a season of +120.
He's in sixth place, trying to put the chart lol.

RkNameAgePosSeasonGPGAPPIM+/-PPGSHGGWGG/GPA/GPP/GP
CA
Daniel Goneau19F1995‑96675451105115825990.8060.7611.567
CA
Brad Richards19F1999‑0063711151866980186111.1271.8252.952
CA
Sidney Crosby17F2004‑0562661021688478157111.0651.6452.710
CA
Simon Tremblay20D1998‑997013284186713010.1860.4000.586
CA
Peter Abbandonato20F2018‑1968298211114716230.4261.2061.632
CA
Joshua Roy19F2022‑235444519514684490.8150.9441.759
CA
Nikolaj Ehlers17F2013‑146349551045165

Last edited:

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
I know Wright is a center, but so far Joshua Roy has had a much more convincing and impactful junior career then Wright, i think Roy will have a better NHL career than him JMHO, i saw both play, and Roy is ahead of Wright.

Last edited:

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
I know Wright is a center, but so far Joshua Roy has had a much more convincing and impactful junior career then Wright, i think Roy will have a better NHL career than him JMHO, i saw both play, and Roy is ahead of Wright.
I think you are completely off your rocker. We will see who is right.

TomKosto

Oct 17, 2017
Montréal
His skating is a full step behind NHL level .He looks like is in slow motion .
Not a good look .

Do they even play defense?
As we saw with prospect like Caufield, skating can be improve. Roy knows where to be on the ice. I'm not saying he's going to be a 80pts producer, but he's a pretty sure NHLer after 1 or 2 seasons in Laval.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As we saw with prospect like Caufield, skating can be improve. Roy knows where to be on the ice. I'm not saying he's going to be a 80pts producer, but he's a pretty sure NHLer after 1 or 2 seasons in Laval.
At the WJC surrounded by elite skaters he more than kept up, he was actually one of the best players. Too smart to not succeed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad