Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

DavePeak

What a goal Mann!
Jul 15, 2009
Montreal
His agent is the former Habs draft pick or a different Olivier Fortier?
The former Habs draft pick, correct.
1673910465067.png

became
1673910477495.png

He took over the agency that he was client with. You might know them too for being the agency that put Emilie Castonguay on the map, now assistant GM for the Canucks

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
the loto is for the first, and second overall selection. Habs could then win both lotery

Habs took him at least.
You do realize that all the scouts teams of the NHL also have passed at least 4 times on him ? All team are then runned by "incompetent idiots" ?
Not every team had Boivert and Ramage wanting him. The way scouting is working, a lot of talent pass under the radar, unless some scouts saw the player and advice the head scouts to draft him.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
This article totally confirms what I wrote here many times. Montréal deserves no credit for taking Roy that late and it shows that Boisvert and Audette are the Habs' scouts with the lowest influence in the whole organization. Again, Habs got Roy only because the scouts from the whole league were blinded by their prejudices against him, Timmins being the first one here. They all failed to make their proper home work on this kid.

Sure, some will again tell me that it's Montréal that finally took him, yes, but it was out of pure luck that he was still there at #150. Boisvert confirms it in the article, he was sure he would no longer be there at #150. And say what you want about the problems Roy had at 16 and 17, in this draft the Habs took Logan Mailloux in the first round based strictly on talent and betting they would right the ship with this troubled kid. They thought Mailloux would be much easier to deal with than Roy. Imagine if Roy had played no games in the CHL before his draft like Mailloux. I am not trying to diminish Mailloux. I just try to show he had a lot against him and it did not stop Timmins from taking him in the first round, but for Roy, it pushed him down to #150.

Timmins is not an incompetent, but in this case, it is clear that he had very little trust in his two scouts covering the Q, and these two pushed for Roy only at the beginning of the 5th round. Again, Roy is a big gift the whole league made to the Habs. The only kudos I will give in this story is to Bergevin for his strategy of picks accumulation that he started in 2018. It's the number of picks the team had, combined with scouting malpractice from all the teams that gave Roy to Montréal.

This article posted yesterday, you can translate with your browser.

Quotes by Boisvert & Ramage and insight on the draft day.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
This article totally confirms what I wrote here many times. Montréal deserves no credit for taking Roy that late and it shows that Boisvert and Audette are the Habs' scouts with the lowest influence in the whole organization. Again, Habs got Roy only because the scouts from the whole league were blinded by their prejudices against him, Timmins being the first one here. They all failed to make their proper home work on this kid.

Sure, some will again tell me that it's Montréal that finally took him, yes, but it was out of pure luck that he was still there at #150. Boisvert confirms it in the article, he was sure he would no longer be there at #150. And say what you want about the problems Roy had at 16 and 17, in this draft the Habs took Logan Mailloux in the first round based strictly on talent and betting they would right the ship with this troubled kid. They thought Mailloux would be much easier to deal with than Roy. Imagine if Roy had played no games in the CHL before his draft like Mailloux. I am not trying to diminish Mailloux. I just try to show he had a lot against him and it did not stop Timmins from taking him in the first round, but for Roy, it pushed him down to #150.

Timmins is not an incompetent, but in this case, it is clear that he had very little trust in his two scouts covering the Q, and these two pushed for Roy only at the beginning of the 5th round. Again, Roy is a big gift the whole league made to the Habs. The only kudos I will give in this story is to Bergevin for his strategy of picks accumulation that he started in 2018. It's the number of picks the team had, combined with scouting malpractice from all the teams that gave Roy to Montréal.
We'll see in the future but Roy could end up being as good as Mailloux. Roy could easylly being better than Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Drouin. Also better than Tinordi, Collberg, Reway, Fisher, McCarron and Scherbak. That tells a lot on Timmins and his misreading of talent, ignoring the Q and also other markets. The list of his good picks are very thin, I mean a ramdom machine could have done the same, the animals of the zoo, me, you and most of the posters here. But not everyone here, lol.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Risking Roy to take Sobolev is an all-time bonehead move.

That's crazy. But i'm happy that we have Roy. He is going to be a very good NHL'er, for sure. He have the skill but with consistency and smart style. I'm impressive with his defensive play.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
An interresting article about Roy in the JDM. People think he was lazy when he gained weight but that was because his body grew between 16 to 17, in the pandemy time, no good access to gyms, etc. It all changed when he was traded to Sherbrooke and Joshua trained very hard. Early mornings of july he was working on his explosion on skates. He still have work to do before reaching the nhl but he have the good work ethic.

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Roy is one of my favourites of Habs prospects.

I’m also happy that the Habs have SO MANY young talented players coming up, that the spotlight will be shared, and I think he will flourish once he’s on the main team.

This won’t be another Drouin moment where back in 2017~ we had f*** all for talent and he was relied upon to be something he’s not (I apologize in advance for namedropping I don’t want to derail the Roy thread) but I think Roy will quickly become a fan favourite

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
So funny to see everyone praising him now that he proved the doubters wrong several times already. Where were you guys when the going got tough for Roy?

It’s legitimate to have skepticism about a player who has yet to play 1 NHL game. One of my favourite prospects personally, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves, there’s more obstacles for him to overcome yet. Here’s hoping.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
So funny to see everyone praising him now that he proved the doubters wrong several times already. Where were you guys when the going got tough for Roy?
Nothing is done yet. But he looks good now. Let's cross our fingers and hope he become a good player in 2 years. We have to ignore the typical bashers who goes tought without being sure of anything. We are not nostrils, heh?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I was honestly baffled with the amount of people who just threw him in the trash bin after his couple of AHL games.

Especially since he was absolutely fantastic in those games despite the skating.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was honestly baffled with the amount of people who just threw him in the trash bin after his couple of AHL games.

Especially since he was absolutely fantastic in those games despite the skating.
Back tracking pretty hard for a guy that was laughing emoji his way through this thread a few months ago when we said hed be a top 6er.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Happens, I guess. Some are taking Bouillon to task for bringing his exchange with Roy, out to the media:

Should some of this stuff not stay private?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

Happens, I guess. Some are taking Bouillon to task for bringing his exchange with Roy, out to the media:

Should some of this stuff not stay private?

In general, yes. I remember when the habs had that 24/7 thing which aired the critique of Louis Leblanc for everyone to see. It was shocking to see, especially from bergevin who seemed to wrap a tight curtain behind the scenes.

But I don't see much in this comment. The most negative thing here is that he said our conversations haven't always been positive.... Big deal.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014

Clearly, Timmins thought that Maillloux was a French-Qubecer and he wanted to right the ship when to comes to picking local talent. Once that was done, he didn't need to do any more favours for local talent ;)

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Does seem strange that Bouillon goes public with this, especially since indications are the "problems" are recent (Post WJC). Like I get that Roy probably hasn't had his head in the game since the WJC, but airing these things in public is a bad look, and that it happens as almost a first thing in trying to "solve" it reeks of small mindeness.

But I would point out this kind of shows that the opposite of rushing a prospect can create problems. If the player isn't being challenged enough then problems do arise, now I get that with Roy the team didn't have much options since it's NHL or QMJHL with the AHL not being an option even if it would probably have been the best place for him but the team still has to figure out a way to help players in that situation.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Does seem strange that Bouillon goes public with this, especially since indications are the "problems" are recent (Post WJC). Like I get that Roy probably hasn't had his head in the game since the WJC, but airing these things in public is a bad look, and that it happens as almost a first thing in trying to "solve" it reeks of small mindeness.

But I would point out this kind of shows that the opposite of rushing a prospect can create problems. If the player isn't being challenged enough then problems do arise, now I get that with Roy the team didn't have much options since it's NHL or QMJHL with the AHL not being an option even if it would probably have been the best place for him but the team still has to figure out a way to help players in that situation.
Either Bouillon will get scolded, or the Org had this planned out and wanted Roy to understand that there is no letting down and playing the guy who’s already made it.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
This is out of character for Bouillon to go public about this kind of stuff, but it might end up kicking Roy on the butt if he indeed is slacking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad