Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Either Bouillon will get scolded, or the Org had this planned out and wanted Roy to understand that there is no letting down and playing the guy who’s already made it.
Frankie Bou has always been known as the ultimate team first guy…. this was a strategic move by the org.

Something is amiss post WJC…

Reactions: Dutronc

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Classic MB move actually. I mean, Farrell was a 4th round pick taken after Tuch, Mysak, Smith and Biondi...
Certainly part of the message is that the draft is a crapshoot. Some teams do better at it, and the Bruins have been good or lucky. Good for the rest of the league that they have had some weak GMs who failed to win with that draft capital. “Hire Julien, he’s making the team better.” Deep sigh.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Why is Bouillon talking shit about Roy? Him and Robidas and Burrows should gtfo to spend time on Robidas Island. What are they adding to the team?

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Does seem strange that Bouillon goes public with this, especially since indications are the "problems" are recent (Post WJC). Like I get that Roy probably hasn't had his head in the game since the WJC, but airing these things in public is a bad look, and that it happens as almost a first thing in trying to "solve" it reeks of small mindeness.

But I would point out this kind of shows that the opposite of rushing a prospect can create problems. If the player isn't being challenged enough then problems do arise, now I get that with Roy the team didn't have much options since it's NHL or QMJHL with the AHL not being an option even if it would probably have been the best place for him but the team still has to figure out a way to help players in that situation.

I don't think it has anything to do with staying to long in the Q and everything to do with Roy. Suzuki stayed until he couldn't and he was a far better player.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think it has anything to do with staying to long in the Q and everything to do with Roy. Suzuki stayed until he couldn't and he was a far better player.
I mean in their 18 year old seasons Roy put up 119 points in 66 games 100 in 64 games. So saying he was a far better player is a stretch when talking about the junior level. And again in their 19 year old season Roy is more productive (But that could change).

But that's not even the point, everybody is going to react differently you can't just say because it worked out fine for 1 guy that it's the best path for somebody else. Even if you think it's a problem with Roy's character it doesn't change anything, because putting them in a situation where those supposed character flaws will show up and then blaming the prospect doesn't get you an NHL player, if you want to actually get something then you need to take into consideration a player's faults as well as there strengths.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Risking Roy to take Sobolev is an all-time bonehead move.
Goes to show that drafting is a crapshoot. In some other sports where teams draft later there are fewer surprises.

In the NHL draft you sometimes have an obvious top 1, or even top 3, that work out, but more often you get at least one guy who surprises, good or bad, even in the top 3. Players change a lot from 18 to whenever they peak.

It may also show that a lot of teams don’t draft very well and the ones that do can only pick so many players per round, but it’s not like any team has it figured out.

Jul 6, 2016
What's a French-Quebecer? A Quebecois who speaks France French?
You have Anglo-Quebecers too.. Everyone livng within Quebec's borders is a Quebecer, like all people living in Ontario are Ontarians. And if it happens that they speak French, they are Franco-Ontarians.

Goes to show that drafting is a crapshoot. In some other sports where teams draft later there are fewer surprises.

In the NHL draft you sometimes have an obvious top 1, or even top 3, that work out, but more often you get at least one guy who surprises, good or bad, even in the top 3. Players change a lot from 18 to whenever they peak.

It may also show that a lot of teams don’t draft very well and the ones that do can only pick so many players per round, but it’s not like any team has it figured out.
Smith and Biondi before Farrell. And William Dufour was also available.

Reactions: MXD and Dutronc

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Does seem strange that Bouillon goes public with this, especially since indications are the "problems" are recent (Post WJC). Like I get that Roy probably hasn't had his head in the game since the WJC, but airing these things in public is a bad look, and that it happens as almost a first thing in trying to "solve" it reeks of small mindeness.

But I would point out this kind of shows that the opposite of rushing a prospect can create problems. If the player isn't being challenged enough then problems do arise, now I get that with Roy the team didn't have much options since it's NHL or QMJHL with the AHL not being an option even if it would probably have been the best place for him but the team still has to figure out a way to help players in that situation.
Complete speculation. You might be 100% right, or he might 100% be a Drouin style headcase.
Time will tell.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's may not be a big deal but it's certainly more beneficial to keep it in the dressing room, Bouillon should know how the Montreal media runs with these types of stories and should think twice before he stupidly airs out this sort of stuff publicly.
Now that Bouillon said that, I want to know the complete story and the other side too. I can't happen so it opens a box of bad speculations. This is shit and it shouldn't happen, especially here with our medias. A distraction that wan't needed.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Complete speculation. You might be 100% right, or he might 100% be a Drouin style headcase.
Time will tell.
Drouin wasn't predestined to be a headcase, that's the whole point. Having Drouin go back to juniors no doubt contributed to his issues both in terms of his relationship and the headcase label and it led to reinforcing non-pro habits in his game that he still has. It's easy to say oh he's just a bust, but it's simplistic and wrong. The environment a player is in has a huge impact on how well they will develop, being rushed to the pros and being overmatched is bad, but so is playing at a level where you aren't being properly challenged.

Time will tell whether Roy's development also is hurt by going back to juniors, but like I said originally, with Roy you can't really fault the team for sending him back but in an ideal world the AHL would've been a better place for him.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Drouin wasn't predestined to be a headcase, that's the whole point. Having Drouin go back to juniors no doubt contributed to his issues both in terms of his relationship and the headcase label and it led to reinforcing non-pro habits in his game that he still has. It's easy to say oh he's just a bust, but it's simplistic and wrong. The environment a player is in has a huge impact on how well they will develop, being rushed to the pros and being overmatched is bad, but so is playing at a level where you aren't being properly challenged.

Time will tell whether Roy's development also is hurt by going back to juniors, but like I said originally, with Roy you can't really fault the team for sending him back but in an ideal world the AHL would've been a better place for him.
Drouin refused to play for a midget AAA team. Then for a QMJHL team. Then his refusal to go to the AHL.

Headcase.

Last edited:

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I was honestly baffled with the amount of people who just threw him in the trash bin after his couple of AHL games.

Especially since he was absolutely fantastic in those games despite the skating.
Are you still talking about Roy? Because he never played an AHL game.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Roy played in the AHL playoffs. He played well but he stopped playing because Houle wanted to give the ice time to the players that made the playoffs. That were eliminated from the playoffs one or two games after that.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Drouin had a long history of bad behavior. Bergevin didn't care or didn't his due diligence. But anyone with a modicum knowledge of Drouin from his junior hockey days knew that his attitude was an issue.

He played last year at the end of his CHL campaign.

Film Noir

Mar 7, 2010
Verdun
With Beck's recent emergency call-up, Bouillon's quote sounds even more fishy. Will our amateur scouting and development continue to be a clown show? Last I check, only the head clown was let go. The rest of the crew are still in the car.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Drouin refused to play for a midget AAA team. Then for a QMJHL team. Then his refusal to go to the AHL.

Headcase.
A LOT of players refused to play for MidgetAAA/QMJHL teams in the past. Didn't and Doesn't make them a headcase.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
A LOT of players refused to play for MidgetAAA/QMJHL teams in the past. Didn't and Doesn't make them a headcase.
And a lot of young hockey players who were the best on their team since they were 8 years old, and daddy told them their whole life they were the best, are head cases.

Reactions: DAChampion

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
And a lot of young hockey players who were the best on their team since they were 8 years old, and daddy told them their whole life they were the best, are head cases.
Of course. And I wasn't defending Drouin, or implying that he was, or not, a headcase.

I was just stating that refusing to play for some team isn't really an indicator of headcasedness. Nathan McKinnon and Nicolas Roy both famously refused to play for the team that drafted them, and that's just the two very obvious examples.

Reactions: Vachon23

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Seeing as the Habs played in Ottawa on Saturday, Beck was closer since he plays in the OHL.

Tomorrow, Habs are playing in Montreal. It would be cool if they call up Roy, who plays in the Q and is closer.

Sherbrooke's next game is on Thursday. So no risk of him missing a single game.

Reactions: Redux91 and MXD

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad