Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Of course. And I wasn't defending Drouin, or implying that he was, or not, a headcase.

I was just stating that refusing to play for some team isn't really an indicator of headcasedness. Nathan McKinnon and Nicolas Roy both famously refused to play for the team that drafted them, and that's just the two very obvious examples.

Yeah it goes far beyond just not wanting to join the Mooseheads at the beginning.. He switched billet families and it wasn't because of the family.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Yeah it goes far beyond just not wanting to join the Mooseheads at the beginning.. He switched billet families and it wasn't because of the family.
Drouin got to be a brat between the ages of 15 and 23 and the end result is that he's achieving less between the ages of 25 and 40.

A common story in this rich and privileged country.

What's amazing is thinking back on the 2013 draft threads, he was an even runner with McKinnon, Barkov, and Jones.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I listened to the Bouillon quote, he says that Roy had to realize things to be better and that sometimes he had to give him harsh opinions, not that Roy is a primadonna that doesnt like being criticized lol.

And it's probably all there is to it.

I mentor people in my daily life. You can't always say "this could be better". Sometimes, you have to say "this was shit", so that the mentoree knows what shit is like.

If you're always using shit to describe whatever your mentoree is doing, then it's a mentor problem, and it doesn't seem that Bouillon is having that particular issue.

Gross oversimplification of course.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I listened to the Bouillon quote, he says that Roy had to realize things to be better and that sometimes he had to give him harsh opinions, not that Roy is a primadonna that doesnt like being criticized lol.
That’s what I thought..

Bouillon would never throw someone under the bus like that, he was always a great teammate. Some athlete are better when we are hard on them (I was like that) and I do think Roy is like that too

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Drouin refused to play for a midget AAA team. Then for a QMJHL team. Then his refusal to go to the AHL.

Headcase.
Drouin had a long history of bad behavior. Bergevin didn't care or didn't his due diligence. But anyone with a modicum knowledge of Drouin from his junior hockey days knew that his attitude was an issue.
Even if we label him a headcase does that mean he couldn't have become a star in the NHL? In the right environment he could've still become a star player just like headcase Eric Lindros refusing to play for the team that drafted him still became a stud in the NHL when he went to an environment that suited him.

Reactions: BLONG7

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Even if we label him a headcase does that mean he couldn't have become a star in the NHL? In the right environment he could've still become a star player just like headcase Eric Lindros refusing to play for the team that drafted him still became a stud in the NHL when he went to an environment that suited him.

Based on things that I won't say here cause of libel, yeah he was facing a huge battle to meet his potential. The Habs were the worst team to acquire him and added additional pressures.

A smart GM with any amount of due diligence doesn't make that call. We had Bergevin.

Reactions: CheldishGamibno

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Drouin had a long history of bad behavior. Bergevin didn't care or didn't his due diligence. But anyone with a modicum knowledge of Drouin from his junior hockey days knew that his attitude was an issue.

He played last year at the end of his CHL campaign.

Yzerman and his scouting staff thought enough of him to draft him #3 overall, ahead of Seth Jones and others...

And when we acquired him, many around the league praised the acquisition, even if they acknoledged the steep price.

Norman Flynn was very vocal that it was a huge mistake, that Drouin was rotten at the core.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Based on things that I won't say here cause of libel, yeah he was facing a huge battle to meet his potential. The Habs were the worst team to acquire him and added additional pressures.

A smart GM with any amount of due diligence doesn't make that call. We had Bergevin.
That I agree with, MTL was not a good environment for him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I thank the hockey gods that sentence is in the past tense and not in the present. I'm happy that we had Bergevin and not still have Bergevin.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I mean in their 18 year old seasons Roy put up 119 points in 66 games 100 in 64 games. So saying he was a far better player is a stretch when talking about the junior level. And again in their 19 year old season Roy is more productive (But that could change).

But that's not even the point, everybody is going to react differently you can't just say because it worked out fine for 1 guy that it's the best path for somebody else. Even if you think it's a problem with Roy's character it doesn't change anything, because putting them in a situation where those supposed character flaws will show up and then blaming the prospect doesn't get you an NHL player, if you want to actually get something then you need to take into consideration a player's faults as well as there strengths.
It's not a stretch whatsoever. Suzuki played in a better league and played in a way that translates to the pro game. He was a far better player.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
What are we concerned about here? As someone else said....this is a giant nothing burger

I mean, for a decade as a development coach Bouillon was off the grid. I literally heard and seen more from the 30 others dev coach in the league than from Bouillon during the Bergevin era, he kinda missed a great opportunity to keep status-quo and stay hidden under his rock here. It's just not a productive intervention even if it's a nothing burger.

On a other semi-related topic.... How the f*** Nick Carrière managed to land a dev coach job, this dude career is made of pure titanium or something.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I mean, for a decade as a development coach Bouillon was off the grid. I literally heard and seen more from the 30 others dev coach in the league than from Bouillon during the Bergevin era, he kinda missed a great opportunity to keep status-quo and stay hidden under his rock here. It's just not a productive intervention even if it's a nothing burger.

On a other semi-related topic.... How the f*** Nick Carrière managed to land a dev coach job, this dude career is made of pure titanium or something.

Can't say what he's like as a development coach since he just started this role this year. But his title before this year was as a scout for the minor league affiliates. He is due some credit for helping to build a team that went to the ECF in the playoffs last year. And for 3R to have a successful inaugural year and make the playoffs.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Can't say what he's like as a development coach since he just started this role this year. But his title before this year was as a scout for the minor league affiliates. He is due some credit for helping to build a team that went to the ECF in the playoffs last year. And for 3R to have a successful inaugural year and make the playoffs.

I'll pass on that.
He was such of key element to the scouting staff last year that he got assigned to a completely different department the following year. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Adam Michaels

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I didn't listen to the interview. But this is what I had in mind as to what Bouillon was talking about. And of course, people ran with the headline they ran with.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
That’s what I thought..

Bouillon would never throw someone under the bus like that, he was always a great teammate. Some athlete are better when we are hard on them (I was like that) and I do think Roy is like that too
Just as long as they’ve ditched the Bergevin/Therrien attitude. Mediocre ex-players bitching about how easy it is for talented players doesn’t help anyone.

Roy isn’t leading the league as he did last year but he had a good wjc and he’s obviously working on aspects of his game. Bitching publicly about a prospect who’s doing well is just dumb.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Just as long as they’ve ditched the Bergevin/Therrien attitude. Mediocre ex-players bitching about how easy it is for talented players doesn’t help anyone.

Roy isn’t leading the league as he did last year but he had a good wjc and he’s obviously working on aspects of his game. Bitching publicly about a prospect who’s doing well is just dumb.
Pretty sure he goes to the AHL next year, I wonder how he'll do there. He has improved all aspects on his game, he is not the most dynamic forward but very good IQ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad