Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Completes the hat trick.

Won the scoring title with 119 pts.

Don't know why, but he gives me Toffoli vibes when I see him play. Really smart player offensively.

Would be great if he could be a Toffoli - in top form.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
It never crossed your mind that Parent looked that good because he was playing with Roy, not the other way around? Also, Ethan Gauthier should make a big jump in production next year, playing with Roy will make it an even bigger jump.

Parent was also a big part of it as a duo. Next year, they don't have anyone I know of that will have a similar impact. Other vets (of lesser impact) are also leaving.

Unless they have some young guys coming I don't know about, it's going to be Roy vs the world next year instead of Roy and Parent vs the world.

I think he'll do well, but it's going to be interesting to see the difference. I wouldn't be surprised to see a drop from 119 points (while still being the team point leader by a fair margin).

Doesn't mean he's bad or anything.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
He reminds me a lot of Filip Zadina

Slowish skater , similar build, great release on his shot

Not too bad for a 5th rounder ;)

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He's definitely going back to juniors, and after that, it might be better to give him 1 year in the ahl before making the NHL.

Both Kyrou and Jason Robertson dominated the chl for 2 years after being drafted and then did 1 in the ahl. They are now both producing at a ppg+ rate in the nhl.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
It never crossed your mind that Parent looked that good because he was playing with Roy, not the other way around? Also, Ethan Gauthier should make a big jump in production next year, playing with Roy will make it an even bigger jump.

I never said Roy looked great because of Parent. I said that the duo together propelled both to new heights. Parent is an excellent junior player, nobody can realistically deny that.

As I mentioned, I have very little doubt Roy will carry the brunt of the load for Sherbrooke next year. However, I am interested to see if him being relatively alone will lead to decreased/equal/improved production.

Joshua Roy is not Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe or McDavid. I know you like to idolize him, but he's not a sure thing yet. It's a bit too early to reserve his spot in the HoF.

He is however an awesome pick in the 5th round that should have gone way sooner and I am very eager to see his evolution.

Maybe he ends up like the adv stats prediction guys tell us and be a ppg+ winger.
Maybe he ends up a good 1st liner 60-70 pts.
Maybe he ends up a a 2nd liner 40-55 pts.
Maybe he ends up a middle 6 winger at 30-40 points.
Maybe he ends up stalling in the AHL/going to Europe.

All I know is that his year in the Q was awesome and I am very interested how he grows going forward. He has a very interesting skill set and if he improves on his weakness (mainly skating/keeping his skate moving), he could be a force at the NHL level.

It would be very awesome to see a QC player be a star for the Canadiens again, but I'm not pre-ordering his jersey yet.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
5'09 Jordan Dumais is 3rd in scoring behind Roy and Dufour and was 17 for most of the season (just turned 18 on April 15th). (And, he also tied Riley Kidney for 1st in the league in assists with 70).

Will be really interesting to see what round he gets drafted in.
I saw Dumais play the other night and watched him closely. Not a very good skater and seemed to try to fly under the radar and avoids traffic and scrums. Smallish and kind of lurks around for the stretch pass. Not sure he is more than a 3rd round pick. My sample size is small.

Reactions: 26Mats and bopeep

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I saw Dumais play the other night and watched him closely. Not a very good skater and seemed to try to fly under the radar and avoids traffic and scrums. Smallish and kind of lurks around for the stretch pass. Not sure he is more than a 3rd round pick. My sample size is small.

Roy isn't the best skater or the most physical/in traffic guy either .

Dumais is the kind of guy that will be either forgotten a few years post-draft or people will wonder why he went so late. In that regard, he's not that different from Roy (who seem to be heading for the latter).

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
The description makes him appear like Luc Robitaille. Not a bad option in the fifth.

Hopefully the top brass is able to have him work with a skating guru who can make this weakness into a non-issue.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
He's definitely going back to juniors, and after that, it might be better to give him 1 year in the ahl before making the NHL.

Both Kyrou and Jason Robertson dominated the chl for 2 years after being drafted and then did 1 in the ahl. They are now both producing at a ppg+ rate in the nhl.
And believe me, it won’t be bad to have another year in the CHL in term to gain more maturity… especially in Joshua Roy case, it will just help him to continu to grow as person

Reactions: Vachon23

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Great Timmins parting gift. It might very well be his best Q pick ever.

I'm in that honeymoon stage with our recent prospects and hoping timmins left us with a whole plethora of gifts (Roy, Kidney, Farrell, Caufield, Ylonen, Poehling, Evans, RHP, Mailloux, Harris, Guhle, Romanov, Norlinder, Fairbrother, etc...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Sagikev and dralaf

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Since he's similar to Kucherov he should follow the same development curve. One more year in the Q then split time in the AHL/NHL the next year. He's going to impress people at the next training camp that's for sure.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I am not idolizing anybody. The fact is that Roy was the main driver on his line and on his team this year. That being said, good players need to play with good players, it is true for Roy as for any good player. My point is that Roy is not the product of playing with Xavier Parent.

Next year Roy will play in a weaker league relative to himself. I mean that all the 20 years old and many good 19 years old players will be gone. So yes he will lose his two good 20 years old linemates, but the same will happen on every team. The Bourque, Bourgault, Lapierre, Dufour, Nadeau, etc... will graduate in the AHL or NHL and many other 19 years old players that won't play next year as 20 years old will also leave the league.

Next year he should produce at a similar rate, and if a younger players like Ethan Gautier takes a big step and his team could also trade to acquire another 20 years old to play with him, Sherbrooke will want to maximize their window next year. That being said, one need to be careful with points total. Nick Suzuki got three similar seasons based on points/game in the OHL from 17 to 19 years old, but he improved nonetheless as a player. So if next year Roy is again around 120 points, it will not mean he did not improve.

I never said Roy looked great because of Parent. I said that the duo together propelled both to new heights. Parent is an excellent junior player, nobody can realistically deny that.

As I mentioned, I have very little doubt Roy will carry the brunt of the load for Sherbrooke next year. However, I am interested to see if him being relatively alone will lead to decreased/equal/improved production.

Joshua Roy is not Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe or McDavid. I know you like to idolize him, but he's not a sure thing yet. It's a bit too early to reserve his spot in the HoF.

He is however an awesome pick in the 5th round that should have gone way sooner and I am very eager to see his evolution.

Maybe he ends up like the adv stats prediction guys tell us and be a ppg+ winger.
Maybe he ends up a good 1st liner 60-70 pts.
Maybe he ends up a a 2nd liner 40-55 pts.
Maybe he ends up a middle 6 winger at 30-40 points.
Maybe he ends up stalling in the AHL/going to Europe.

All I know is that his year in the Q was awesome and I am very interested how he grows going forward. He has a very interesting skill set and if he improves on his weakness (mainly skating/keeping his skate moving), he could be a force at the NHL level.

It would be very awesome to see a QC player be a star for the Canadiens again, but I'm not pre-ordering his jersey yet.

JC Superstar

Aug 7, 2013
So is he.

Reactions: Skip Bayless

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
I am not idolizing anybody. The fact is that Roy was the main driver on his line and on his team this year. That being said, good players need to play with good players, it is true for Roy as for any good player. My point is that Roy is not the product of playing with Xavier Parent.

Next year Roy will play in a weaker league relative to himself. I mean that all the 20 years old and many good 19 years old players will be gone. So yes he will lose his two good 20 years old linemates, but the same will happen on every team. The Bourque, Bourgault, Lapierre, Dufour, Nadeau, etc... will graduate in the AHL or NHL and many other 19 years old players that won't play next year as 20 years old will also leave the league.

Next year he should produce at a similar rate, and if a younger players like Ethan Gautier takes a big step and his team could also trade to acquire another 20 years old to play with him, Sherbrooke will want to maximize their window next year. That being said, one need to be careful with points total. Nick Suzuki got three similar seasons based on points/game in the OHL from 17 to 19 years old, but he improved nonetheless as a player. So if next year Roy is again around 120 points, it will not mean he did not improve.
Fair point but the Suzuki take is more complex. He was a beast in his draft year. And then in his D+2 year, he went from playing on a terrible Owen sound team to a good Guelph team where he had to adapt to new linemates. Once he did, he absolutely tore through the playoffs. So I don't think Roy will have the same trajectory relative to his personal ability but I can see him facing a similar dynamic if he's traded to a contender next season

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Since he's similar to Kucherov he should follow the same development curve. One more year in the Q then split time in the AHL/NHL the next year. He's going to impress people at the next training camp that's for sure.

Then the next step should be to give a shirtless interview after drinking too much, spend a whole season on LTIR and win the cup twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad