Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Is he going to learn anything in the Q next season?
When I asked this question, people pointed out that Mario had a pretty good career even though he kept having to go back to a Q league he was thoroughly dominating.

After getting 33 goals and 96 points his first year, he went back and, in 66 games, got 84 goals and 184 points the next year, followed by 133 goals and 282 points in 70 games. That was over 4 points per game on average.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
When I asked this question, people pointed out that Mario had a pretty good career even though he kept having to go back to a Q league he was thoroughly dominating.

After getting 33 goals and 96 points his first year, he went back and, in 66 games, got 84 goals and 184 points the next year, followed by 133 goals and 282 points in 70 games. That was over 4 points per game on average.

That was before he was drafted though.

Reactions: Shred

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The question I have about Roy is....why did he drop so much? He was a first overall pick in the Q. It should be reasoned that if he was selected 1st overall in one of Canada's top leagues, he was considered a top prospect for his age at the time. Let's for arguments sake say he was a top 15 Canadian prospect (taking into account the O, W and any prospects who went NCAA route).

So at 15 he would have been around top 15 prospects for his age across Canada. But then, during covid, with very limited scouting and the world turned upside down, he dropped down to a 5th round NHL pick. I would suggest that his slide is more the anomaly than the dominant year he had this year. This is exactly what was expected of him, and there is no reason to think at this point, he won't be shooting way above the 5th round pick status. Roy (119 pts) is 5 months older than Shane Wright (94 pts) who was his 1st overall contemporary in the OHL and three months younger than Wyatt Johnson (124 pts) who led the O and was a 1st rounder in the NHL. The Q isn't that much of a weaker league than the O.

Not sure what the NHL scouts saw that dropped him to a 5th round pick, but every sign is pointing to this guy being an NHL regular and he looks at this point like an absolute steal.

We've got a good one boys. Hopefully he continues to develop. Darkhorse to make the team next year.

Reactions: Hansman

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I am not idolizing anybody. The fact is that Roy was the main driver on his line and on his team this year. That being said, good players need to play with good players, it is true for Roy as for any good player. My point is that Roy is not the product of playing with Xavier Parent.

Next year Roy will play in a weaker league relative to himself. I mean that all the 20 years old and many good 19 years old players will be gone. So yes he will lose his two good 20 years old linemates, but the same will happen on every team. The Bourque, Bourgault, Lapierre, Dufour, Nadeau, etc... will graduate in the AHL or NHL and many other 19 years old players that won't play next year as 20 years old will also leave the league.

Next year he should produce at a similar rate, and if a younger players like Ethan Gautier takes a big step and his team could also trade to acquire another 20 years old to play with him, Sherbrooke will want to maximize their window next year. That being said, one need to be careful with points total. Nick Suzuki got three similar seasons based on points/game in the OHL from 17 to 19 years old, but he improved nonetheless as a player. So if next year Roy is again around 120 points, it will not mean he did not improve.

Why would the league quality go down next year? This year graduates aren't especially stronger than usual.

Again, all I said was that it will be interesting to see him on a team without another top junior player.

The question I have about Roy is....why did he drop so much? He was a first overall pick in the Q. It should be reasoned that if he was selected 1st overall in one of Canada's top leagues, he was considered a top prospect for his age at the time. Let's for arguments sake say he was a top 15 Canadian prospect (taking into account the O, W and any prospects who went NCAA route).

So at 15 he would have been around top 15 prospects for his age across Canada. But then, during covid, with very limited scouting and the world turned upside down, he dropped down to a 5th round NHL pick. I would suggest that his slide is more the anomaly than the dominant year he had this year. This is exactly what was expected of him, and there is no reason to think at this point, he won't be shooting way above the 5th round pick status. Roy (119 pts) is 5 months older than Shane Wright (94 pts) who was his 1st overall contemporary in the OHL and three months younger than Wyatt Johnson (124 pts) who led the O and was a 1st rounder in the NHL. The Q isn't that much of a weaker league than the O.

Not sure what the NHL scouts saw that dropped him to a 5th round pick, but every sign is pointing to this guy being an NHL regular and he looks at this point like an absolute steal.

We've got a good one boys. Hopefully he continues to develop. Darkhorse to make the team next year.
He was picked late due to questions about his work ethic and skating. The work ethic part seems to be sorted.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Ask and ye shall receive, Josh Roy had draft projections all over the place. With the biggest drags on his ranking at the time of the draft being his skating, competitiveness and athleticism. Couple that with an underscoutted maritimes due to the pandemic restrictions and viola

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021

Roy didn't even think he would be drafted.

Scouts thought Roy had poor off-ice/on-ice work ethics after his first season, when the problems was that he didn't have anyone around him with pro training knowledge (gym, nutrition, etc). He ended up asking for a trade and was lucky to end up with Sherbrooke. They have a create coaching staff who provides the info/guidance he needs. But once he joined Sherbrooke, Covid less or more mean that only the Habs really had eyes on him.

He's a good example how leaving a player to find answers by themselves can lead to failed development. Some of them need proper structure and guidance to get there.

He already has plan for things to work on in the off-season and next season in the Q.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
There is a lot of things that Roy can develop next years in the Q (more complete game, better 5 on 5 game, a better play driver, stronger in the corners) and he will probably be an important player at the WJC for Canada . He have the potential to be really good player for us but we need to be patient with him.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
Roy didn't even think he would be drafted.

Scouts thought Roy had poor off-ice/on-ice work ethics after his first season, when the problems was that he didn't have anyone around him with pro training knowledge (gym, nutrition, etc). He ended up asking for a trade and was lucky to end up with Sherbrooke. They have a create coaching staff who provides the info/guidance he needs. But once he joined Sherbrooke, Covid less or more mean that only the Habs really had eyes on him.

He's a good example how leaving a player to find answers by themselves can lead to failed development. Some of them need proper structure and guidance to get there.

He already has plan for things to work on in the off-season and next season in the Q.

I think he also issues adapting to living in St-John (not fluent in English) combined with the issues you described. He himself admitted getting picked 5th was a wake-up call.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
Let's not forget... if he was a couple of weeks younger, he'd be draft-eligible this year and probably be projected as a 1st rounder. There's no rush.

Suzuki had nothing left to learn in the OHL, but he didn't show enough in his first camp here to warrant staying with the team, so they sent him down and it turned out to be vital for his development.

I've never really heard about a prospect busting because they were overripe (Maybe because it's hard to track this outcome?), but we have definitely seen prospects bust from coming up too early. Considering next season should be a write off too with the big club, I don't see the harm in keeping him down for one more year. Will still be turning pro at 20 years old.

Reactions: Maitz

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
For Roy, I think that while he did change his views on things, reason why he ended up so great this year, I have some doubts, that he could go back in old habits with another year of Q. But it still might be the best choice for him. I'M really not sure there's that much more development at that level.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
For Roy, I think that while he did change his views on things, reason why he ended up so great this year, I have some doubts, that he could go back in old habits with another year of Q. But it still might be the best choice for him. I'M really not sure there's that much more development at that level
Well two questions, Could he go to europe ala matthews? Could he crack the opening night roster?

Reactions: Skip Bayless

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I will be on minority here but I believe he will crack the opening lineup in MTL next year.
He looked like he belonged last TC.

Hopefully he has a good offseason of training and skating. If he shows up to camp in great shape and with improved skating, he’s going to push for a spot absolutely

Reactions: EveryDay

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I will be on minority here but I believe he will crack the opening lineup in MTL next year.

No chance. Ylonen and RHP will become full-time nhler before Roy, and I don't even think they will start the season with the habs become of the number of wingers we have.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
I sure hope not, junior to nhl is something only elite players should do. Let him develope thru the ranks like gawd intended. Have we not learned anything?

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I sure hope not, junior to nhl is something only elite players should do. Let him develope thru the ranks like gawd intended. Have we not learned anything?
While I agree in principal, it does need to flex for rare cases, in this example I absolutely believe that Kidney should go back. But Roy, who looked like he belonged last TC and had a phenomenal year in the Q is worth a look at Training camp again. This isn't a kid whose been building slowly this is a player who other then his draft year was always viewed as elite within his age group.

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
The crazy part about his season is that he was about as consistent as you can get. I tried to find some parts of the season that he wasn't producing as much and you know what, there were none.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad