Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not sure Roy is too good for the Q, but there's always the option of going to Europe for a year.

Matthews did that for his pre-draft year, it didn't catch on as common practice but there's certainly players that would benefit from it either pre/post draft. I'd even go as far as saying MTL should push the envelope and make a deal with a European team(s) to become a sort of Euro-AHL affiliate team.
I also wonder if he might benefit from moving over to the OHL if he wants to stay in north america. Might benefit from a different look, new challenge.

Last edited:

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Roy will be totally fine in the Q, no need for him to go in Europe/OHL/China/Australia or whatever league. He still have much to learn and he still far from the NHL even if he produce extreme well this season. I've seen way better player then him got back in the CHL and it's NEVER hurt anybody.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Roy gave another interview to La Presse and he reiterated that he does not want to skip any step in his progression to the NHL. He said that he expects to be back in Sherbrooke next year, even though he will try to make the team. Even if he impresses at camp next fall, he should go back in the juniors. His head is at the right place and that's a good thing. He says all the right things and he seems to really mean it.

He'll probably get his shot. But no need to rush him. This should be another tank year anyways.

But, whatever is best for his development... Maybe that's:

Caufield-Suzuki-Roy :sarcasm:

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
He scored 51G in 66 games… but he not fast enough
He led the league in points… yeah but the Q is just not strong enough
His +/- is +43 highest in his team… yeah but he doesn't block shots enough
He just 18… yeah but he not tall enough
He lost 20lb in the summer after his draft… but his work ethics are still not enough
He didn't look out of place last training camp… but he not physical enough
He was 1st OA when he first entered the Q… but his pre draft season wasn't good enough
He may have a shot on making the team... but 1 year in junior is not enough
He just had 4 pts in his first PO game… yeah but 1 game is just not enough
:sarcasm:

HuGort

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
5'09 Jordan Dumais is 3rd in scoring behind Roy and Dufour and was 17 for most of the season (just turned 18 on April 15th). (And, he also tied Riley Kidney for 1st in the league in assists with 70).

Will be really interesting to see what round he gets drafted in.
Some people don't like Dumais's skating

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
He deserves a chance... if he's good enough, he'll make the team. Simple as that.

Not like he has a lot of competition anyway :laugh:

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's actually no point to play Roy in the NHL unless he is so dominant in camp you have 0 choice. I don't expect that to happen.

Dominate another year like Suzuki did. Get a key role on team Canada. Get traded to a contender and go on a memorial cup run. These things all help developmentally.

Farrell will join the Habs at the end of his college season and go on a playoff run with Laval.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
You get the feeling this kid will become a solid NHL player, once he realized he needed to train better, eat smarter and take his career seriously he looked like the player taken 1st overall into the Q.
At 18 he has the time to improve his shortfalls such as his skating, although all reports are that his skating improved alot from last season.
This will be a fun prospect to watch develop.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
He scored 51G in 66 games… but he not fast enough
He led the league in points… yeah but the Q is just not strong enough
His +/- is +43 highest in his team… yeah but he doesn't block shots enough
He just 18… yeah but he not tall enough
He lost 20lb in the summer after his draft… but his work ethics are still not enough
He didn't look out of place last training camp… but he not physical enough
He was 1st OA when he first entered the Q… but his pre draft season wasn't good enough
He may have a shot on making the team... but 1 year in junior is not enough
He just had 4 pts in his first PO game… yeah but 1 game is just not enough
:sarcasm:
Well, what is the alternative? Get crazy hyped for a guy who just went 5th round? Patience is key. There is a reason he went 5th round. There is also a reason he is doing so well. He needs to keep trending towards that 2nd category. If he does, sky is the limit.

We better temper our expectationa in the meantime.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agree, he have big talent. Why not to don't try him for 9 games??

They might but it would depend on movement where he starts at rookie camp and then gets an invite to our NHL camp. Plays a few games in pre season and you go from there. If he produces and plays effectively where he earns a chance, you evaluate playing him in a few NHL games.

I'm not a fan of auto blocking players before you even get a chance to see them in camp for that season. I think we all agree that we should not rush players but auto blocking them in advance is not good management. Basically, give them a chance and lay out a set of outcomes they need to accomplish if they stay with our big club. Talking about high level outcomes and the narrative you present them is we are not trying to block you but we don't want to rush you and then yoyo you around later. Those young kids will understand this

Reactions: ZUKI and Nicko999

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
They might but it would depend on movement where he starts at rookie camp and then gets an invite to our NHL camp. Plays a few games in pre season and you go from there. If he produces and plays effectively where he earns a chance, you evaluate playing him in a few NHL games.

I'm not a fan of auto blocking players before you even get a chance to see them in camp for that season. I think we all agree that we should not rush players but auto blocking them in advance is not good management. Basically, give them a chance and lay out a set of outcomes they need to accomplish if they stay with our big club. Talking about high level outcomes and the narrative you present them is we are not trying to block you but we don't want to rush you and then yoyo you around later. Those young kids will understand this
I also believe that, don't try to force them into making the team, but if they earn their spot you have to play by the rule, or else why would they even try?

Reactions: Habs Halifax

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Many didn't like Braden Point's skating his draft year - not Corey Locke's...

WHL is a stronger league than the Q, but I guess he'll be drafted around the end of the 2nd round to the start of the 4th round.

He totally can be a Corey Locke, same size, Locke was more physical though.

We have so many picks, if he's there with our late 2nd round pick, I think about him depending on who's left, definitely take him with our first 3rd round pick if he's still there.

There's a reason Q players tend to drop, especially smallish ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad