Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
His advanced numbers were great. Defensively he was more than carrying his own. It made no sense.

And once it happened, he started screwing around with his ice time and then we saw a big drop in his play.

How to screw up your prospects 101: by the Montreal Canadiens

In any event, I hope we give Roy more time to develop. Let him dominate and gain confidence. Last thing I want to see is a repeat of previous gongshows
I think confidence is very under rated by some members here. These are young men, most young men need to have confidence nurtured. They need to succeed early. Bring up a non superstar to early can really stifle development. I really believe KK was brought up at least 2 yrs to early, I remember how happy and loose he was early in his first year, that smile said it all. But eventually the grind wore it down and I believe that at some point he lost confidence as well as the joy of playing. It was too early. I will also allow that for some young men it doesn't matter, they have the drive, they will get there either way. They are a minority though.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think confidence is very under rated by some members here. These are young men, most young men need to have confidence nurtured. They need to succeed early. Bring up a non superstar to early can really stifle development. I really believe KK was brought up at least 2 yrs to early, I remember how happy and loose he was early in his first year, that smile said it all. But eventually the grind wore it down and I believe that at some point he lost confidence as well as the joy of playing. It was too early. I will also allow that for some young men it doesn't matter, they have the drive, they will get there either way. They are a minority though.
KK’s confidence plummeted once he got benched. And we saw it happen with so many of our prospects here. Look what was happening with Caufield before the coaching change.

Guy Lafleur talked about it too. You need confidence as a player. Once it’s gone you’re in real trouble. Wickenheiser is another great example of a player we ruined.

Roy and Kidney… I’d like to see them spend some more time in the minors. Give them ice time and let them dominate.

If we’re lucky enough to get Shane Wright… that might be a different story.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
But Patches was the only one I recall actually requesting to go to the AHL so he could get ice time cause he had no interest playing on the 4th line in the NHL which is where Habs have started all their offensive talent for some bewildering reason. Put the high talent guys in positions to succeed or leave them playing top minutes in the Q or A
It’s not just playing fourth line minutes, it’s being forced to play a simple risk free non-offensive game in those few minutes on the ice and getting benched for risks or errors. There is a significant difference between playing for MSL or playing for Martin/Therrien/Julien.

Maybe Mete, Leblanc, Kotkaniemi and others had no more upside. Maybe they could have found more dominating lower leagues and coming to the NHL prepared. Mete could play D with Weber doing the hard work, maybe he could have done more if he’d played 20 minutes as a top guy in the NHL. On the other hand if he wasn’t practicing his shot 2 hours a day maybe there was no hope.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
That is not amazing for a 19-20 year old in the Q.
True. However, Parent is the one carrying the puck and the hard working player on that line; it's not only about stats.

I watched quite a few Phoenix games, and Parent was consistantly controlling the puck, creating turnovers, skating hard. I'd like to see Roy do this himself next season. Although in better shape than previous seasons, Roy relied a lot on his talent to produce points, partly because he had Parent doing the hard work.

This not a knock on Roy. He's a 19 year old kid that still needs to develop. Bringing him in the NHL next season won't do him any good. Especially since we're set for another disaster of a season.

Reactions: Fenris

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
True. However, Parent is the one carrying the puck and the hard working player on that line; it's not only about stats.

I watched quite a few Phoenix games, and Parent was consistantly controlling the puck, creating turnovers, skating hard. I'd like to see Roy do this himself next season. Although in better shape than previous seasons, Roy relied a lot on his talent to produce points, partly because he had Parent doing the hard work.

This not a knock on Roy. He's a 19 year old kid that still needs to develop. Bringing him in the NHL next season won't do him any good. Especially since we're set for another disaster of a season.
Roy is still only 18...he won't turn 19 till August. Xavier Parent actually turned 21 in March.

But yes agreed, Roy has made tremendous progress but could do with another year in junior to work on other aspects of his game.

Reactions: jaffy27

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here

He’s 18.

Reactions: jaffy27

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Ok, so he turns 19 this summer; doesn't change anything in what I said. He should return to the QMJHL and I'm confident that the management team will make the right call.
Overagers tend to be very assertive in a league where there are limits to how many of them can be on a team. So using Parent as a comp is very good because Roy is a magician with the puck. He does things that no one can do on his team and to boot he can overshadow at times what a very good 21 year old can do. 2 and a half years is a massive difference in junior.

I'm 100% behind your thinking though; going back to junior and dominating, winning and figuring out training habits is key. The Habs are going nowhere in 2022-23. Developping our future stars is key.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Overagers tend to be very assertive in a league where there are limits to how many of them can be on a team. So using Parent as a comp is very good because Roy is a magician with the puck. He does things that no one can do on his team and to boot he can overshadow at times what a very good 21 year old can do. 2 and a half years is a massive difference in junior.

I'm 100% behind your thinking though; going back to junior and dominating, winning and figuring out training habits is key. The Habs are going nowhere in 2022-23. Developping our future stars is key.
Wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more confident in our plan to develop players now, as vs the last 10 years.
The future is bright.......but we all need some patience.
HuGo will take their time, to do it right......I keep hearing the word sustainable from Hughes. The old GM had no idea what that word even means...

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
We should really try giving his overager linemate a deal, if he's open to it. He looks like he can be a decent contributor in TR or Laval a la Abbandonato.

Si ce statut lui est accordé, il sera intéressant de voir si un autre phénomène québécois l'obtiendra aussi l'année prochaine. Xavier Parent, 14 ans, a un an de moins que Veleno. Cette saison, Parent a obtenu 49 points en 32 matchs à sa première saison bantam AAA, contre 37 en 27 parties pour Veleno l'année dernière au même niveau.

He was viewed as the next big thing, back then.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

I definitely would like Parent in the Habs organization. Maybe he and Roy could play together in Laval a year and a half from now.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
The guys you mention busted (some of them) because they would never have made it in the first place.

If being in the NHL playing against better competition "ruins" you, then frankly I rather not have them on my team.

Good players find ways. Patches was also bought up at 20 and he struggled. Had a couple of stint between the AHL and Montréal until he "got it". I would argue this helped him more than if he stayed with Michigan.

If you have anything between the ears, you should be able to handle the NHL at a younger age.

Goes without saying that they need to be used properly if they make the jump.

Sure good players do find a way but that's a case by case basis. Some guys do benefit from another year in junior or some AHL time for various reasons (not ready physically , need to work on certain elements of their game etc).

I don,t entirely disagree with your premise but then again it's also contextual depending on said player

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Can we predict Roy at the NHL level could be a Drouin comparable? Both very skilled perimeter players.
Joshua Roy is a poor man's John Tavares. He needs to work on his skating to improve his stock for the NHL. He has a good shot and good vision. Just lacks speed and athleticism in this game.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012

He was without a doubt the most dominant hockey player in his ages group all thru his minor hockey years. Played all these years with Samuel Poulin and every year was the better player of the two. Poulin was drafted in the first round by Pitts because of his size only imho.
Parent had a rough start in juniors with injuries and never had the ‘lucky break ‘ often needed to shine.
Watched these 2 kids play more times than I can recount, and am confident that Parent is a lot better than Poulin.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I'm starting to see the Kucherov comparison. Obviously that's stylistically.
The most characteristic trait of his game is that he makes plays look ridiculously easy

Can we predict Roy at the NHL level could be a Drouin comparable? Both very skilled perimeter players.
Roy’s IQ seems way higher. Drouin was all tools no toolbox. Roy has the toolbox just needs to work on skating

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The most characteristic trait of his game is that he makes plays look ridiculously easy
That's true and I find it quite disconcerting. Is he dominating because the opposition sucks? He makes passes that look so easy.

Then again, plenty of future solid NHL players play in this very league and don't do as much. Let's hope he can still make things look easy at the NHL level.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
That's true and I find it quite disconcerting. Is he dominating because the opposition sucks? He makes passes that look so easy.

Then again, plenty of future solid NHL players play in this very league and don't do as much. Let's hope he can still make things look easy at the NHL level.
Would it be better if he made stuff look hard? Skilled players make the game look easy. It’s the main thing you notice when you look at kuch play

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Would it be better if he made stuff look hard? Skilled players make the game look easy. It’s the main thing you notice when you look at kuch play
I know, I agree.

It just is counterintuitive. When I see his goal, I often find that they looked easy and may not translate to a higher level. But then again, why does he get 119 soft goals in a year? Some players make it work consistently without it looking flashy or incredibly skilled. He seems like he is in that category.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad