Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Forget about this idea of earning a spot. On that basis, Kotkaniemi earned his spot in 2018, but he was not ready despite looking good for an 18 years old. Remember that pre season games and beginning of the season games are not the real NHL. Add the situation of the team in the equation and it's a no brainer to send him back to Sherbrooke. This kid needs to mature and get stronger. He won't make the difference with the Habs next season, even if he has an excellent camp. Only exceptionnal players should start in the NHL before 20. Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, both started in the NHL at 20.

I also believe that, don't try to force them into making the team, but if they earn their spot you have to play by the rule, or else why would they even try?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I’m not sure going back to Junior is the right thing for Roy at this point. I would give hi 9 games and see how he fares in the NHL.
Having watched him closely this season, he's not ready for the NHL despite his points production. I want to see him next season in Sherbrooke without Xavier Parent driving that line.

Reactions: Fenris and Vachon23

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Forget about this idea of earning a spot. On that basis, Kotkaniemi earned his spot in 2018, but he was not ready despite looking good for an 18 years old. Remember that pre season games and beginning of the season games are not the real NHL. Add the situation of the team in the equation and it's a no brainer to send him back to Sherbrooke. This kid needs to mature and get stronger. He won't make the difference with the Habs next season, even if he has an excellent camp. Only exceptionnal players should start in the NHL before 20. Guy Lafleur, Mike Bossy, both started in the NHL at 20.
We don't always agree, but you could't be more right on that !

Reactions: dcyhabs

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Having watched him closely this season, he's not ready for the NHL despite his points production. I want to see him next season in Sherbrooke without Xavier Parent driving that line.
I don't think Parent was solely responsible for driving that line. He never got more than 35 points in a season before this year. I think Roy had a major role on that line and Parent benefitted immensely. Having said this Roy should be developed and another year in junior is highly likely.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Terrific season but he still needs work on his skating if he ever wants to collect an NHL pension.
So did Caufield, and he looks much better now.

Roy has a crazy high ceiling and skating is one of the things holding him back, but I’ll say this I’d rather have a guy like Roy than another guy Like Bournival or Pyatt who could skate like the wind but had absolutely zero scoring ability or instinct.

He seems dedicated to improving, I trust he will.

Reactions: jaffy27

V13

Score First , Grind Hard , No Mercy
Sep 21, 2005
Let's not make the same mistake we did with the Latendresse , Galchenyuk , KK , Leblanc etc of this world and rush them to the NHL when they are not ready just because they had some pre season flashes. Team is rebuilding and we have all the time in the world to let your young guys develop properly at the lower levels.

Roy's production in the Q this season has been a very pleasant surprise but let the guy learn one step at a time. I'm glad that he himself thinks the same so that's a good start. He has the right mindset to learn and evolve and that'S what we want to see

Reactions: Vachon23

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Let's not make the same mistake we did with the Latendresse , Galchenyuk , KK , Leblanc etc of this world and rush them to the NHL when they are not ready just because they had some pre season flashes. Team is rebuilding and we have all the time in the world to let your young guys develop properly at the lower levels.

Roy's production in the Q this season has been a very pleasant surprise but let the guy learn one step at a time. I'm glad that he himself thinks the same so that's a good start. He has the right mindset to learn and evolve and that'S what we want to see
The guys you mention busted (some of them) because they would never have made it in the first place.

If being in the NHL playing against better competition "ruins" you, then frankly I rather not have them on my team.

Good players find ways. Patches was also bought up at 20 and he struggled. Had a couple of stint between the AHL and Montréal until he "got it". I would argue this helped him more than if he stayed with Michigan.

If you have anything between the ears, you should be able to handle the NHL at a younger age.

Goes without saying that they need to be used properly if they make the jump.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
The guys you mention busted (some of them) because they would never have made it in the first place.

If being in the NHL playing against better competition "ruins" you, then frankly I rather not have them on my team.

Good players find ways. Patches was also bought up at 20 and he struggled. Had a couple of stint between the AHL and Montréal until he "got it". I would argue this helped him more than if he stayed with Michigan.

If you have anything between the ears, you should be able to handle the NHL at a younger age.

But Patches was the only one I recall actually requesting to go to the AHL so he could get ice time cause he had no interest playing on the 4th line in the NHL which is where Habs have started all their offensive talent for some bewildering reason. Put the high talent guys in positions to succeed or leave them playing top minutes in the Q or A

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
But Patches was the only one I recall actually requesting to go to the AHL so he could get ice time cause he had no interest playing on the 4th line in the NHL which is where Habs have started all their offensive talent for some bewildering reason. Put the high talent guys in positions to succeed or leave them playing top minutes in the Q or A
dont forget they not only wanted to make them good players, but they wanted them to become better people. hahaha

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Agreed. This is the plugging holes mentality.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Maybe KK, what never that good.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011

So they never made it and you just say they never would have anyway. Come on we had some highly rated players bust. Actually more than a few, but you say development had nothing to do with their failure to live up to expectations. That is a lazy argument, Caufield was on that road to, until a coaching change, someone that took time and developed him.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I don't think Parent was solely responsible for driving that line. He never got more than 35 points in a season before this year. I think Roy had a major role on that line and Parent benefitted immensely. Having said this Roy should be developed and another year in junior is highly likely.
Both benefitted from the other. From watching him a lot this season, Parent was definitely the driver of the line

Reactions: Vachon23

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
So they never made it and you just say they never would have anyway. Come on we had some highly rated players bust. Actually more than a few, but you say development had nothing to do with their failure to live up to expectations. That is a lazy argument, Caufield was on that road to, until a coaching change, someone that took time and developed him.
Hence I said it is contingent on the youngsters being properly used. If an offensive player is going to play on the 4th line, then yes it's better to keep them in juniors.

I would think MSL would be good for a guy like Roy.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

27 pts in 24 games 2020-2021 (COVID shortened season)

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
KK was doing very well. Had great numbers. Then his coach declared that he was tired and started benching him. I never understood it.
He wasn’t very good before getting “benched”. The coach was right to give him a rest.

Honestly he wasn’t that good outside getting points here and there in the first half. He looked lost without the puck and couldnt win a board battle to save his life. As the speed of execution augmented during that season, the less he touched the puck. Then he started hitting for a couple of games because he wasnt doing anything else.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He wasn’t very good before getting “benched”. The coach was right to give him a rest.

Honestly he wasn’t that good outside getting points here and there in the first half. He looked lost without the puck and couldnt win a board battle to save his life. As the speed of execution augmented during that season, the less he touched the puck. Then he started hitting for a couple of games because he wasnt doing anything else.
His advanced numbers were great. Defensively he was more than carrying his own. It made no sense.

And once it happened, he started screwing around with his ice time and then we saw a big drop in his play.

How to screw up your prospects 101: by the Montreal Canadiens

In any event, I hope we give Roy more time to develop. Let him dominate and gain confidence. Last thing I want to see is a repeat of previous gongshows

Reactions: 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad