Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Perhaps, but it is the threat of Kutcherov's high end speed that provides him with the option of slowing it down to create options for himself. Roy has to first establish to other teams that he has that elite speed. Slowing down slow, will not work at the NHL level.
there was that Ribiero guy that was slower than Roy and got a 84 point season once...

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
there was that Ribiero guy that was slower than Roy and got a 84 point season once...
I think the criticisms of Ribiero's skating were overstated. He was a good edge skater who had superiors agility and balance on the ice. My point is why even engage in this hopeful discussion? If a draft aged player has an acknowledged defect in their skating they should largely be avoided. There are so many hurdles for most players in successfully reaching the NHL why hope that they can navigate the largest barrier in making the top league in the world: NHL level skating?

Reactions: bsl and jrom

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Very interesting. HIstorically, how accurate is this metric?

For once in our existence, we need to hit on a late round superstar like this. A Kucherov like late round beauty.

Roy was a highly touted player entering the Q. He slid in draft ranking during pandemic with very little ability for scouts to do their thing. D+1 he explodes, finally playing under somewhat normal conditions (post pandemic having a huge impact).

I hope he fills our top line LW with Suzuki and Cole.

This will be all the more sweeter if we somehow get Wright.

Reactions: Rozz

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Very interesting. HIstorically, how accurate is this metric?

For once in our existence, we need to hit on a late round superstar like this. A Kucherov like late round beauty.

Roy was a highly touted player entering the Q. He slid in draft ranking during pandemic with very little ability for scouts to do their thing. D+1 he explodes, finally playing under somewhat normal conditions (post pandemic having a huge impact).

I hope he fills our top line LW with Suzuki and Cole.

This will be all the more sweeter if we somehow get Wright.
The system ignore external factors that can affect development and production (injuries, coaching, attitude, etc). It's more a "this is the potential ceiling for these players" ranking for the players based on their current year of development vs production against peers/previous players.

Also, Kidney is 16th on the list.

Reactions: waitin425

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Guys with skating issues are basically a wasted pick no matter what they produce at a lesser league as whatever else they have doesnt make up for it at the NHL level.

Having said that, there are always exceptions to the rule, but you pick your spots.

Habs have a history of overlooking skating issues because " it will improve", never does, and another bust. As an example, Habs drafted Mark Pederson 15th overall in the 1980s. Guy was a scoring machine as in 40 plus goals, 100 points in 60 something junior games for a few years . but lousy skater. At NHL level he was great from the blueline in, but thats it, so a bust. Ribs was a 2nd round pick, and slow, but could dipsy around . Its a real bad idea to ignore skating issues in the 1st couple of rounds, especially the 1st round.

So Roy's skating will likely be a huge problem at the NHL level, but a 5th round pick, well what the heck.

Hope he pans out.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Guys with skating issues are basically a wasted pick no matter what they produce at a lesser league as whatever else they have doesnt make up for it at the NHL level.

Having said that, there are always exceptions to the rule, but you pick your spots.

Habs have a history of overlooking skating issues because " it will improve", never does, and another bust. As an example, Habs drafted Mark Pederson 15th overall in the 1980s. Guy was a scoring machine as in 40 plus goals, 100 points in 60 something junior games for a few years . but lousy skater. At NHL level he was great from the blueline in, but thats it, so a bust. Ribs was a 2nd round pick, and slow, but could dipsy around . Its a real bad idea to ignore skating issues in the 1st couple of rounds, especially the 1st round.

So Roy's skating will likely be a huge problem at the NHL level, but a 5th round pick, well what the heck.

Hope he pans out.
Roy doesn't have skating issues in the way you are talking about. He was overweight last season with bad stamina which made him slow on the ice.

He got back in shape in the off-season and his skating speed is fine. The only reason he looks slow is because he likes to slow down the play or drag his feet at the end of shifts. Quite similar to what Suzuki was doing at the same age.

Roy thinks he still need more separation speed (his coach think it's fine) and he's going to work on that this summer.

The main problem with Roy is that the Q is too easy for him (he looks kind of bored), but he's not exactly ready for the NHL either and isn't eligible for the AHL next season.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
Jesus no, lol if he makes the team second line please or with wright

Roy with Wright? I don't think I'd put two rookies together. But, first line is a little optimistic, as Caufield and Suzuki need a puck possession and board guy. Roy with PLD and Gally on the 2nd line? Assuming we somehow grab PLD. So much to consider this off season.

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Roy with Wright? I don't think I'd put two rookies together. But, first line is a little optimistic, as Caufield and Suzuki need a puck possession and board guy. Roy with PLD and Gally on the 2nd line? Assuming we somehow grab PLD. So much to consider this off season.
Where did this talk of getting PLD come from lol?

Reactions: Dutronc

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
Gally won't play on the second line that's for sure. He barely holds on as an NHLer at this point. We'd be lucky for him to be a fine 3rd liner.

Reactions: schwang26

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Roy doesn't have skating issues in the way you are talking about. He was overweight last season with bad stamina which made him slow on the ice.

He got back in shape in the off-season and his skating speed is fine. The only reason he looks slow is because he likes to slow down the play or drag his feet at the end of shifts. Quite similar to what Suzuki was doing at the same age.

Roy thinks he still need more separation speed (his coach think it's fine) and he's going to work on that this summer.

The main problem with Roy is that the Q is too easy for him (he looks kind of bored), but he's not exactly ready for the NHL either and isn't eligible for the AHL next season.
That is good to hear. The kid is a Hab, putting up impressive numbers with impressive play and I am cheering for him to make it to the NHL , hopefully as a top 6 player. Would be great.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Our trade thread has some chatter in it about PLD. People speculating hard that he wants out of the Peg. Id offer Dvorak + Calgary 1st + Florida 1st 2023

I wait and see who we draft with our first this year before making any trade like that. If you draft Wright or Cooley, you don’t bother with PLD. Especially considering you may be in the running for another Center in next years lottery.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Our trade thread has some chatter in it about PLD. People speculating hard that he wants out of the Peg. Id offer Dvorak + Calgary 1st + Florida 1st 2023
Please no. Dvorak can be traded for a first, youre essentially trading away 3 first round picks for a player thats been in the league for 5 years and 2 teams and has yet to be PPG. I think what you see is what you get with PLD and its not someone I pay 3 first round picks for.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I am really trying to keep my hopes low for him, but he appears to have made the most from his last summer and camp, he looks also aware of his game and works to improve, good sign for his future development (suzuki someone?)

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I'll just add this, he was just 2 months away from being drafted this year, born in august
Just throw him in this year draft pool, wouldn't he make 1st round?
great pick

Reactions: Rozz

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site

I agree with your assessment. I've watched Roy play a couple of times live, including more recently Thursday's game vs. Gatineau. It did seem like it was too easy for him out there. He didn't break a sweat and still managed to finish the game with a goal, an assist and a must-score goal during the shootouts to keep his team alive, easily undressing the Gatineau goalie. In terms of talent, he was clearly and easily a notch above everyone on the ice.

He's not slow as you mentioned, but he does likes to slow the play down and just glide around. Then as soon as he realizes he has an opportunity to make a play and create a scoring chance, he shifts to another gear. What he really needs to correct in his play is that tendency to get caught cheating though not moving his feet, which would not fly at all in the pros.

Reactions: dralaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad