Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Supersonic

May 27, 2013
Ontario
Could Roy join Laval this year if they make a playoff run? Would HuGo do this as part of the next stage in his development?

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
He can slow the play down a la Suzuki quite effectively in the Q... and thinks the game quickly. His top speed and acceleration are both his biggest challenges. Considering everything else he brings to the table, I doubt it will hold him back enough to not play in the NHL... but if he improves his skating even marginally like Suzuki did... he may become a very effective Top 6 player.
I love watching players that can slow it down. When Kutcherov gains the zone and then slows down it is fun to watch. The other teams heads are on a swivel looking for the trailers that he is so good at finding.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I love watching players that can slow it down. When Kutcherov gains the zone and then slows down it is fun to watch. The other teams heads are on a swivel looking for the trailers that he is so good at finding.
Perhaps, but it is the threat of Kutcherov's high end speed that provides him with the option of slowing it down to create options for himself. Roy has to first establish to other teams that he has that elite speed. Slowing down slow, will not work at the NHL level.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Perhaps, but it is the threat of Kutcherov's high end speed that provides him with the option of slowing it down to create options for himself. Roy has to first establish to other teams that he has that elite speed. Slowing down slow, will not work at the NHL level.

I mean, Kovalev made a career out of it.. so it’s not impossible.

So long as the hands are there, you can pivot quickly to change direction, and have enough IQ on what to do and when to do it… a slower skilled player can still pull off some amazing things.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

So long as the hands are there, you can pivot quickly to change direction, and have enough IQ on what to do and when to do it… a slower skilled player can still pull off some amazing things.
Kovalev had great lower body strength, Roy will need a lot of work there so he won't be easy to push off the puck at the NHL level.

Dick Duff

Feb 17, 2014
Edmonton
When was the last time we had such good prospects in the Q?

Roy is the leading scorer in the league and Kidney is tied for 3rd. Oh and Roy won't turn 19 till August and Kidney just turned 19 this past week. They're the two youngest players in Top 10 scoring.

I'm very excited to see how they'll do next season as they should both dominate the QMJHL as 19 year olds.
Sergio Momesso and Claude Lemieux?

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
GWG and 2 assists the other night. I think 1 of those assists bounced off a few people, Still it was his play that ended up in the back of the net.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
Is Matt Boldy a comparison? Another guy who has an ability to slow the game down and is somehow always open for a pass.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
I agree about the average foot speed, but his brain is fast, he can dangle sure, but he also makes those very quick one touch plays. I think his anticipation level is very high and all that can maybe compensate for his lack of explosive foot speed, which he can also improve. We'll see, but I'm hooked.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree about the average foot speed, but his brain is fast, he can dangle sure, but he also makes those very quick one touch plays. I think his anticipation level is very high and all that can maybe compensate for his lack of explosive foot speed, which he can also improve. We'll see, but I'm hooked.
I hope you are right and I am wrong as I would rather be a failed optimist than a confirmed pessimist.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I have a question if somebody can answering to me. What was the urgency to sign Joshua Roy this year? I look on capfriendly, his contract at 800k begin on next season until 3 years. He will play in the Q next year, so îm wondering what was the main reasob to sign him this year. I understood Signing Emil Heineman, cause he is now playing here, but Roy? Cause if you sign him at the end of the next season, he is gonna be less paid on the salary cap cause his 3 years deal will start the following years

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I have a question if somebody can answering to me. What was the urgency to sign Joshua Roy this year? I look on capfriendly, his contract at 800k begin on next season until 3 years. He will play in the Q next year, so îm wondering what was the main reason to sign him this year. I understood Signing Emil Heineman, cause he is now playing here, but Roy?

If he doesn't make the team, it will slide. Basically it's about rewarding a prospect with a contract for their hard work and great play.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Is Matt Boldy a comparison? Another guy who has an ability to slow the game down and is somehow always open for a pass.
He reminds me of Jack Quinn actually. Quinn also had a meteoric rise at 18 and even continued trending upwards. Both are incredible scorers and use their brains more than their physical traits to produce. Great shots, underrated playmakers. Neither are great skaters though Quinn improved his.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
He reminds me of Jack Quinn actually. Quinn also had a meteoric rise at 18 and even continued trending upwards. Both are incredible scorers and use their brains more than their physical traits to produce. Great shots, underrated playmakers. Neither are great skaters though Quinn improved his.

I think it's a perfect comparison to Joshua Roy. Youre nailed it!

Reactions: Dutronc

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
For the Q connaisseurs, how's Sherbrooke looking next year? I know they're losing a couple good 20 y/o, is it possible he gets traded to a top team looking to win it all? Which teams are looking to be strong next year?

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal

Kovalev had the body and size to do that tough. Kovalev also had one the most nasty stickhandling skills of his era.

Roy fron my limited viewing seems more like a smart player that doesnt wow you with anything other than being very efficient player and a good shot.. he can have lots of shifts like where he doesnt stand out. but he will need to add a lot more to his game to be really efficient impact player at the NHL level.

IMO.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Kovalev had the body and size to do that tough. Kovalev also had one the most nasty stickhandling skills of his era.

Roy fron my limited viewing seems more like a smart player that doesnt wow you with anything other than being very efficient player and a good shot.. he can have lots of shifts like where he doesnt stand out. but he will need to add a lot more to his game to be really efficient impact player at the NHL level.

IMO.
100%. Roy's stats are nice, but he there are considerable issues in his game too. He's certainly not efficient in all 3 zones and lacks dynamism to drive a line (which Parent brings on his line). I'm very curious to see how he will progress next year without him. Statswise, I'd be surprised if he improved. If anything, he might regress a little. But he still has a lot of work to do on his skating and ability to control a game.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
For the Q connaisseurs, how's Sherbrooke looking next year? I know they're losing a couple good 20 y/o, is it possible he gets traded to a top team looking to win it all? Which teams are looking to be strong next year?

Parent will be a big loss but they should be strong again. They still had a young roster this season.

There were rumours they were interested in Justin Robidas so if they get him he would be a great replacement for Parent. Sherbrooke doesn’t have a first pick until 2024 so it won’t be easy getting a top player.

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Parent will be a big loss but they should be strong again. They still had a young roster this season.

There were rumours they were interested in Justin Robidas so if they get him he would be a great replacement for Parent. Sherbrooke doesn’t have a first pick until 2024 so it won’t be easy getting a top player.

Thanks, Just by stat checking hockey DB it looked to me like it's going to be the Roy/Spacek show because they were losing Anctil, Parent, a couple other guys and the 19 year olds are hovering around .5 PPG, correct me if I'm wrong but there won't be any stacked teams next year in the Q?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks, Just by stat checking hockey DB it looked to me like it's going to be the Roy/Spacek show because they were losing Anctil, Parent, a couple other guys and the 19 year olds are hovering around .5 PPG, correct me if I'm wrong but there won't be any stacked teams next year in the Q?

Gatineau, Quebec, Halifax and Sherbrooke should be top teams. There are always surprises and there will be trades. Quebec already has the 2nd best offense and its 4 best forwards can all come back (Bolduc, Rochette, Gaucher and Malatesta). Gatineau is still pretty young this year like Halifax. Ethan Gauthier´s role with Sherbrooke should be more important and it’s going to be his draft year.

Cournoyer12

Mar 17, 2022
Gatineau, Quebec, Halifax and Sherbrooke should be top teams. There are always surprises and there will be trades. Quebec already has the 2nd best offense and its 4 best forwards can all come back (Bolduc, Rochette, Gaucher and Malatesta). Gatineau is still pretty young this year like Halifax. Ethan Gauthier´s role with Sherbrooke should be more important and it’s going to be his draft year.
Wouldn’t it be nice if Habs had 1st dibs on all Quebec born players like in days of yore!! Lord how I hate the 21st century!

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
They will still be solid, they have Roy, Mianscrum will probably take a step in his game,Ethan Gauthier will be in his 2nd year, Milo Roelens is an other one who I expect to take a step in his game. Justin Gill will probably be a solid player in the Q next year

In defense they have Spacek who will be dominant next year, I expect Tyson Hinds to one of the best Dmen in the Q next year and Kaylan Gauthier will be a force in defence

In net they have Zhigalov who will be back and he will be in the top goalies of the league

They have a top 3 coach in the Q in Stephane Julien and like @SergeConstantin74 said they have made big push for Justin Robidas last summer and at the TDL so won't be surprise if it's finishing by happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: crosbyshow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad