Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Just hope a goon will not go at him with a dirty hit aimed at causing an injury like what happened to Norlinder

Reactions: EveryDay

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
So after everyone drooling over Roy, one AHL game and suddenly he can't skate. I feel let down by the prospect gurus.:(

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
So after everyone drooling over Roy, one AHL game and suddenly he can't skate. I feel let down by the prospect gurus.:(
Skating is one of the most overrated thing in here. Not saying it's not important because it is very much so but... our best player, non goalie, of the past 25 years (Markov) was a slow skater.

Kucherov is not a good skater and people consider him a top 3 player. He also had 128 pts, the best post lockout season.

Skating is not everything, I much rather have a player with high IQ than someone who skates fast.
Also people with high IQ will tend to have longer careers. Those kind of players can be effective well into their late 30's.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I mean skating was always an issue. That shouldn't be a surprise. It was discussed in the WJC camp thread.

His skill level is insanely high as is his IQ. He was fine in the game and even got an excellent scoring chance.

But, skating, especially startups, is a must to improve to become an impact NHLer.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

He have very high hockey IQ, great shot too. I think skating ability is overrated by some people... skating can be better with a coach of skating. Hockey IQ? that's hard to become better if you have already a bad hockey IQ... when you see a young player, you need to see his hockey IQ... that's the most important thing and Roy have very very high hockey IQ like Nick Suzuki.

The best exemple is Alex Galchenyuk and Lars Eller... all talent in the world, but not the best hockey IQ... that's why they not become impact players. Galchenyuk perfect player at Sarnia Sting but in NHL, his hockey IQ isn't the best.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Not really that surprising he has things to work on, he's still only 18. Would be more surprising if he looked pro-ready. Offseason/next season I'm sure Habs development staff going to give him things to work on.

Here's hoping he dominates again and becomes a solid NHLer like other guys who broke out at 18: Toffoli/Bjorkstrand/Dvorak/etc

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You know who was a great skater? Phil Esposito, on his way to 5 Art Ross trophies.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
At Roy's age, Suzuki wasn't known as a great skater and was able to improve over the years. Skating can easily be improved, Roy's skill and hockey IQ are things that can't be taught.

This AHL stint will be huge for Roy in helping him improve his weaknesses and to get him ready in the future to make the full time jump to the professional level.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Lol the takeaway should be, 18 yr old playing a 3rd round AHL playoff game
But instead, he didnt score so let's jump on the 1 fault that CAN be worked on and fixed lol sigh

If Roy was 22 it'd be like yeah that skating wont fly.. but come on lol, he has potentially TWO more Q seasons to REALLY work on it

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Lol the takeaway should be, 18 yr old playing a 3rd round AHL playoff game
But instead, he didnt score so let's jump on the 1 fault that CAN be worked on and fixed lol sigh

If Roy was 22 it'd be like yeah that skating wont fly.. but come on lol, he has potentially TWO more Q seasons to REALLY work on it
Two summers, one more Q season. He'll turn pro 2023.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Look at Jake Evans. Even when he turned pro at 22 his skating was not good, ans he was able to improve it at 22 and 23 and it was under the "terrible" development of the Bergevin era...

Imagine what will happen with the magic of Kent Hughes...

Seriously, if he puts the work, he will improve. Kucherov played in the Q at 19. Same for Suzuki in the OHL.

Reactions: tooji and 1909

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I don't know what people expected. If his name were Randy instead of Roy I don't think people would have penciled him into the starting lineup for next year. Suzuki was great in the OHL, with no supporting cast in Owen Sound, and we basically all agreed his should go back for another year as a much better prospect than Roy, Roy will be fine, just let him develop at a normal pace instead of assuming a 19-year old with no pro experience is going to be on our top line.

That’s a lot of development time but I’m not sure he has much more to prove in the Q.
Suzuki had nothing to prove in the OHL and he worked on his two-way game and skating and came back much better and hungrier the next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad