Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Lol the takeaway should be, 18 yr old playing a 3rd round AHL playoff game
But instead, he didnt score so let's jump on the 1 fault that CAN be worked on and fixed lol sigh

If Roy was 22 it'd be like yeah that skating wont fly.. but come on lol, he has potentially TWO more Q seasons to REALLY work on it

18 year old that, if he was a little younger, would be in the upcoming draft.

This is just about him experiencing a higher level of hockey, so he knows what he needs to work on.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I don't know what people expected. If his name were Randy instead of Roy I don't think people would have penciled him into the starting lineup for next year. Suzuki was great in the OHL, with no supporting cast in Owen Sound, and we basically all agreed his should go back for another year as a much better prospect than Roy, Roy will be fine, just let him develop at a normal pace instead of assuming a 19-year old with no pro experience is going to be on our top line.

Suzuki had nothing to prove in the OHL and he worked on his two-way game and skating and came back much better and hungrier the next season.

Exactly, there's more to the sport than just putting up points. Let's see if he can carry the team to Q championship, make WJC, make memorial cup, win goal scoring title, be better defensively, etc. He can take his game to another level and become a legitimate blue chip prospect.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That’s a lot of development time but I’m not sure he has much more to prove in the Q.

It's not so much that he has to prove anything as much as it's continuing to work on aspects of his game he needs to improve on. He can't do that in Laval because he's not eligible to play in the AHL next year. And he certainly is not NHL ready. So it will have to be done in the Q.

We have to keep in mind that these prospects should not be skipping steps. We've seen it happen with quite a few prospects over the years and we don't want to repeat that, especially with someone like Roy, who is someone who can be a key play for the Habs in the future.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I will say it again, some think only about so called development, which refers to learning stuff from coaches, and forget about the simple natural maturation, physically and mentally. As a teenager, one more years means a lot, and add to it one more year of experience and of basic training. Roy is such a gift the whole league made to the Habs, they need to be patient with him. One more year in the juniors can only help him on the long run. Habs don't need him next year anyway.

It's not so much that he has to prove anything as much as it's continuing to work on aspects of his game he needs to improve on. He can't do that in Laval because he's not eligible to play in the AHL next year. And he certainly is not NHL ready. So it will have to be done in the Q.

We have to keep in mind that these prospects should not be skipping steps. We've seen it happen with quite a few prospects over the years and we don't want to repeat that, especially with someone like Roy, who is someone who can be a key play for the Habs in the future.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I honestly don’t get it guys, and maybe this is why a rebuild was never attempted before, but to shit on a Junior player inserted into the AHL finals as the youngest player in the league? He’s never played a game before!!! You’re throwing him in against men, playing in a league finals championship and criticizing him/writing him off after ONE game.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
I honestly don’t get it guys, and maybe this is why a rebuild was never attempted before, but to shit on a Junior player inserted into the AHL finals as the youngest player in the league? He’s never played a game before!!! You’re throwing him in against men, playing in a league finals championship and criticizing him/writing him off after ONE game.
I think he did good for a first professional game.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
You just provided the rationale why some are suggesting that the Canadiens should be considering taking Slafkovsky first overall in the upcoming draft.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
On a board like this, it is expected that you will always find users that are overly critical of a player, as well as others who will blow the tires of another one because they are passionate about him even though it may be unjustified, really. So I wouldn't mind such comments too much if I were you :)

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
You just provided the rationale why some are suggesting that the Canadiens should be considering taking Slafkovsky first overall in the upcoming draft.

One game vs a season, but certainly one reason Slafkovsky, among others, is being considered despite production that is weak for a weak league, is that he is in a men's league at 17 or 18. The AHL is tougher than liiga both in level of play and in physicality, and Houle definitely favors effort and experience over talent much like Therrien/Julien/Martin.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
People love overreacting and overinterpreting.

Roy needs to work on his skating. It has been a negative in his 1 AHL game. People pointed it out. That doesn't mean he's a bust or that people gave up on him. It means ROY NEEDS TO WORK ON HIS SKATING. That's all.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Skating can be improved, vision and hockey IQ cannot. Many very fast players will never make it because they don't have the rest, the Hayden Verbeek, Brandon Gignac, even Jesse Ylonen is no longer a sure thing because the rest of his game has holes. That reminds me of wide recievers in the NFL. You have guys running 4,3 seconds 40 yards time, but that are busts because they cannot catch the ball or read the defense well. Speed is an asset, but vision, IQ and skills are as important.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That’s a lot of development time but I’m not sure he has much more to prove in the Q.

If AHL was an option, that might be best but that option is not there. It's either Q or NHL. And in the Q, he was playing with two 20 year olds so it would be of value to test him in another situation with different line mates while he plays WJC and international players who are considered best in the world around the same age.

There is no need to rush him thinking he won't mature and get stronger in his age 19 season in the Q. It's quite the jump from the Q to playing against pros. Lets not be quick to pump him up that quickly. He has lots to work on.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
18 year old that, if he was a little younger, would be in the upcoming draft.

This is just about him experiencing a higher level of hockey, so he knows what he needs to work on.
Exactly he will have even a bigger motivation to improve.. thats good.. if not better than him putting a goal or assist and feeling like he doesnt have to improve "that" much.. hopefully he trains like a madman this offseason.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Skating can be improved, vision and hockey IQ cannot. Many very fast players will never make it because they don't have the rest, the Hayden Verbeek, Brandon Gignac, even Jesse Ylonen is no longer a sure thing because the rest of his game has holes. That reminds me of wide recievers in the NFL. You have guys running 4,3 seconds 40 yards time, but that are busts because they cannot catch the ball or read the defense well. Speed is an asset, but vision, IQ and skills are as important.

Which is why Adam Nicholas is a great add to the team for Roy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad