Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
You sound like his agent. I hope you’re right. But drafting any prospective hockey player with questionable skating is akin to drafting a water polo player who has difficulty in swimming. In the former case you are getting an AHLer. In the latter case, you are getting a drowning victim. Both are unsavoury outcomes.

Much better go the Timmins route and generally draft for skating and compete.

That got us a lot of great forwards during his reign.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yeah, if I were a scout I would simply draft a player with no weaknesses in the 4th round.
Evergreen with this silliness.

The water polo analogy seems like a really big stretch to me, and it only really serves to make the argument that it's better to take tiny guys, or guys with no brain/stone hands than take guys with skills who need to work on skating sound more reasonable by likening serviceable but not great mobility in hockey to another sport where you would literally drown if you aren't a strong swimmer. As an analogy I could just as easily say it's like baseball teams drafting starting pitchers that throw hard but can't find the strike zone or don't have a secondary pitch...which is a thing they do all the time because they have coaches who teach those guys how to improve those things. That is no more or less valid as an analogy than the water polo stuff.

And yes, by saying teams should avoid drafting any player with questionable skating you are implicitly arguing they should draft more smurfs, stone-handed players, and low hockey IQ players, as that's all you're going to have available in the later rounds of the draft if you are just ignoring anyone who's below average as a skater. By and large guys with skill who can skate either are gone way earlier in the draft or they're 5'5, so pick your poison.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Roy nominated for the CHL Top Scorer Award.

1656342080407.png

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Do you think he have a chance to translate that in the nhl or you think he have big areas where he needs to improve?
How is his character? Strong or soft?

Joshua Roy's game is built on good offensive reads, trying to put the puck in high danger areas (sometimes forcing the play and causing turnovers), and using high-end skill/passing/shooting to score points.

Roy is stupendously good on the power play at the junior level, where he has more time and space to operate and pick apart defenses with his high skill, sweet lobbed passes and pretty good shot.

That said, Roy's 5-on-5 game, skating and defense need quite a lot of work before they're NHL-worthy, so even though his offensive potential is through the roof, his bust potential is also similarly high.

And to better answer your question, no, I do not think Roy is anywhere close to being NHL-ready. If he progresses fast through the ranks, I think he will need a year of CHL play and a half-season of AHL at the earliest before he's truly ready to step onto NHL ice. If he isn't especially fast, it could take him another two, maybe three years before he's ready for the Show.

Simply put, a lot of the dekes, cross-ice passes, and plays Roy regularly attempts (and succeeds at) in juniors will be plain unavailable in the NHL, and so Roy will not only need to learn how to adjust his game to contend with big-league defenses, but he'll also need to continue honing his skating ability if he wants to be able to get any chances at all offensively dodging the bigger, faster, and stronger defensemen of the majors.

Now, as far as mindset and character go, I'd say Joshua Roy definitely improved a ton there over the last season as opposed to his draft year. And from the interviews he's given he seems to be quite mature and level-headed for his age, which could bode well for his progression.

But at this point of his career Joshua Roy is still far from a finished product on the mental side of the game and will need to pay his dues, get tempered by time and adversity, before he's a hardened pro.

So yeah, Joshua Roy is an exciting prospect, but we should be patient with him and not already annoint him as our "next savior" lest we fall into yet another "expectations trap" that will see a good chunk of our more fickle-minded fans (which there is a lot of amongst our fanbase) turn on Roy if he is not an offensive dynamo from the get-go in the NHL.

Last edited:

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I'm not worried about his skating, his effort in his own end at times makes Caufield look like Bob Gainey, and he looks about as physical as Drouin, mixed with how he likes to slow the play down, you have to wonder how that will work in the NHL.
His skill is undeniable but he’s going to take some seasoning to round out the rest of his game. I do prefer teaching a high skill player how to play a 200ft game then the other way around

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
I'm not worried about his skating, his effort in his own end at times makes Caufield look like Bob Gainey, and he looks about as physical as Drouin, mixed with how he likes to slow the play down, you have to wonder how that will work in the NHL.
You just described Ribeiro.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Roy +43
Caufield -24

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I care way more about whether Roy's offence will translate than his +/-. Do we have a serious offensive talent, or did he just figure the Q out?

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad