Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If you’re not elite at something specifically, being a complete player helps to have your place in the NHL. Not saying Roy won’t get better defensively either as he’s only 19 after all.
Let's watch how he does in the WJC this year and remember he still has another year of eligibility.

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
He has more to work on then just skating, at times his effort defensively is terrible, the pace he plays at is a question mark to see if it will be successful at the NHL level. He needs to add mass and strength as well.
You can say the same about Kidney.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Hope he does better than Hudon (really liked him as a prospect too)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Hope he does better than Hudon (really liked him as a prospect too)
Really?

Roy is 2 inches taller than Hudon, was born 10 months earlier relative to his draft class, and in his D+1 year he beat Hudon's production by a colossal 0.54 ppg.

Hudon from what I recall had a good hockey IQ, and did have one good season in the NHL. But he didn't have a hockey body, he was too slow and weak. He could have only succeeded as a Desharnais -type player, where the whole team had to be structured to his needs.

Reactions: Redux91 and jaffy27

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Those wondering with who Roy will play next season in Sherbrooke after losing his two 20 yo linemates. Ethan Gauthier scored six goals at the Hlinka. I think he will be good enough to play with Roy. It will be two first overall Q picks on the same line. Their center will be well surrounded.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Did you watch him play or are you only basing yourself on a context-less number?
I saw him play several times in the final minutes of a game when his team was up 1 goal and he was trusted for good reason.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
You can say the same about Kidney.

Kidney plays a much more complete game but needs to add strength. Kidney has always been a high compete player whereas Roy has been an improving work in progress but still has a ways to go.

Roy will never be a regular in the NHL.
Not good enough for the top 6 and not made to grind on the bottom 6.

Add him as a sweetener in a deal to involving a cap dump

Gotta loves absolutes....a sure fire way to look foolish down the road.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Yep thats exactly what a rebuilding team should do. Trade the 19 year old who just led his league in scoring cause he can't possibly improve anything just to dump cap.

That's our two priorities. Trading picks and prospects and getting cap space for win now moves.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Remember, Roy did what he did last year at a really young age. He was very close to being eligible for this year's draft as opposed to last year's.

Let's hope our new development team can really work well him over the next 4 to 5 years. There is no rush to make the NHL before the end of that time frame.

Reactions: 70Stang and ReHabs

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Remember, Roy did what he did last year at a really young age. He was very close to being eligible for this year's draft as opposed to last year's.

Let's hope our new development team can really work well him over the next 4 to 5 years. There is no rush to make the NHL before the end of that time frame.
I think 5 years is a long time. I'd hope he improves from year to year and makes the NHL in three years. The 5-year time frame is for him to start having an impact, IMO, by the time he is 24.

Roy has plenty of skills and needing to iron out his skating doesn't make him less attractive a prospect. Suzuki was able to improve his skating, for example.

Roy mentioned that what helped him most last year was his improved conditioning which made everything easier.

I think that working on his conditioning helped him turn his career around. He'll be more engaged, overall, if he's not chasing his breath on the ice. His compete level will continue to go up.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think 5 years is a long time. I'd hope he improves from year to year and makes the NHL in three years. The 5-year time frame is for him to start having an impact, IMO, by the time he is 24.

Roy has plenty of skills and needing to iron out his skating doesn't make him less attractive a prospect. Suzuki was able to improve his skating, for example.

Roy mentioned that what helped him most last year was his improved conditioning which made everything easier.

I think that working on his conditioning helped him turn his career around. He'll be more engaged, overall, if he's not chasing his breath on the ice. His compete level will continue to go up.

5 years is closer to the upper limit, though not even the apex of the upper limit.

But all prospects develop and peak at different rates and different ages. It's important to be patient and wait it out to see the full picture of their developmental trajectory.

That's why it's great to have such a deep prospect pool. Some will make it, some won't. Some will make it faster, so.e will take longer. But in general I'm in favor of letting the cream rise to the top over time.

Last edited:

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
5 years is closer to the upper limit, though not even the apex of the upper limit.

But all prospects develop and peak at different rates and different ages. It's important to be patient and wait it out to see the full picture of their development.

That's why it's great to have such a deep prospect pool. Some will make it, some won't. Some will make it faster, so.e will take longer. But in general I'm in favor of letting the cream rise to the top over time.
It would be cool to see players move onto better leagues once they've done as well as could be expected in juniors. Would it hurt Roy if he played in the KHL, or Liiga, or whatever is a strong men's league?

The Habs should build an informal pipeline through European leagues for such purposes and distribute prospects through them once they've outgrown the Juniors. The players would love it too -- nice salary bump from junior and they get to live as hockey pros in Europe for a year or two.

SwiftyHab

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2004
Platinum Member
I kinda wonder what he has left to prove in the Q. Other than working on some aspects of his game can we expect him to score more than he has already dominated?

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
I kinda wonder what he has left to prove in the Q. Other than working on some aspects of his game can we expect him to score more than he has already dominated?
I want to see what he can do with a talent like Ethan Gauthier by his side. Also see if he can carry a team on his back since Sherbrooke is not expected to be as good.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Yep thats exactly what a rebuilding team should do. Trade the 19 year old who just led his league in scoring cause he can't possibly improve anything just to dump cap.

That's our two priorities. Trading picks and prospects and getting cap space for win now moves.
Especially considering he's already massively improved his shot and his passing. No chance he has the drive to improve other aspects of his game. Ignore that he's able to do the work to get better and just knock him for scoring in junior.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Kidney plays a much more complete game but needs to add strength. Kidney has always been a high compete player whereas Roy has been an improving work in progress but still has a ways to go.

Gotta loves absolutes....a sure fire way to look foolish down the road.
Gotta love this comment. Talking about absolutes and what your doing is the absolute opposite of what I said.

You have just as much if à chance to look foolish down the road, only difference... you also look like a fool now.

Dumping some cap to sign Dach and Monty doesn't provide us with some wins now.

The player we dump has a better chance of out performing Dach this year thus making us slightly weaker.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Gotta love this comment. Talking about absolutes and what your doing is the absolute opposite of what I said.

You have just as much if à chance to look foolish down the road, only difference... you also look like a fool now.

The player we dump has a better chance of out performing Dach this year thus making us slightly weaker.
You come off as just wanting to be negative.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

There's 0 reason to dump cap for the Habs right now. They can easily get Dach signed without attaching Joshua Roy to someone.

It's just such a ridiculous idea.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site

That's unnecessarily defeatist, following that win now strategy could move us up to 31st place or even 30th!

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Monty is signed.

Byron will likely be placed on LTIR to start the year. And we still don't know if Price will, too. But even if it's just Byron, that's plenty of room to sign Dach.

So many posters always talk about sweetening deals to get rid of cap. They said we'd need to sweeten it to get rid of Weber's contract. Didn't happen. They said we'd need to sweeten it to trade Petry. It didn't happen. It's like some of you haven't picked up on that yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad