Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Did you watch him play or are you only basing yourself on a context-less number?
I saw a lot of his play in the second half of the year and playoffs and most of the goals against Sherbrooke. Roy was rarely playing sloppily or lazily. He was also one of the guys the coach would put on the ice to defend a one goal lead late in the game. Finally the commentators didn't stop talking about how much improved he was defensively this season.

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
You sound like his agent. I hope you’re right. But drafting any prospective hockey player with questionable skating is akin to drafting a water polo player who has difficulty in swimming. In the former case you are getting an AHLer. In the latter case, you are getting a drowning victim. Both are unsavoury outcomes.
there is plenty of top end waterpolo players that are a quite slow swimmers. mile smodlaka was one of the world's best centers back in a day and it was painful to watch him getting back to defend. skating is important, no doubt, but also is shooting, passing, stickhandling, awareness etc. thing is, the nhl is extreeemley competitive league. every single year there is a 200+ prospects and less than 700 spots on the nhl rosters. the margins are very, very slim whether some prospect would succeed or fail, and there is no exact pattern which combination of particular skills is going to be successful.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
lol, put Roy on the Habs team and he would be worse then a -24 for sure.
He's not even 19 and not ready for the NHL. But versus his peers, he plays to protect leads. No one would use Caufield for that, yet someone said that Roy makes Caufield look like a Selke winner in order to say that Roy is not a good prospect. I just think that is way off base. Roy is a legit prospect but we will see how he develops. For a 5th round pick, so far so great.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He's not even 19 and not ready for the NHL. But versus his peers, he plays to protect leads. No one would use Caufield for that, yet someone said that Roy makes Caufield look like a Selke winner in order to say that Roy is not a good prospect. I just think that is way off base. Roy is a legit prospect but we will see how he develops. For a 5th round pick, so far so great.

Roy's defensive game is terrible, I had showed several examples in my vids of him with piss poor defensive efforts at times, Caufield was the same way in the NCAA, it's not uncommon for highly skilled offensive types to give poor efforts defensively.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Roy's defensive game is terrible, I had showed several examples in my vids of him with piss poor defensive efforts at times, Caufield was the same way in the NCAA, it's not uncommon for highly skilled offensive types to give poor efforts defensively.
You know what, I take some of what I said back. I believe that if Roy were on the Habs today playing LW like Caufield, he would be on the ice for fewer goals against than Caufield was last year, and they are more than 2.5 years apart in age. Caufield might score more, and might always score more, but Roy is capable of playing fairly well defensively or his coaches would not have had him out to protect leads as much as they did.

Now, if you are saying that even though he is better than most of his peers defending, that he isn't NHL ready yet, well of course. But he is a legit prospect.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
You know what, I take some of what I said back. I believe that if Roy were on the Habs today playing LW like Caufield, he would be on the ice for fewer goals against than Caufield was last year, and they are more than 2.5 years apart in age. Caufield might score more, and might always score more, but Royis capable of playing fairly well defensively or his coaches would not have had him out to protect leads as much as they did.

Now, if you are saying that even though he is better than most of his peers defending, that he isn't NHL ready yet, well of course. But he is a legit prospect.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
You know what, I take some of what I said back. I believe that if Roy were on the Habs today playing LW like Caufield, he would be on the ice for fewer goals against than Caufield was last year, and they are more than 2.5 years apart in age. Caufield might score more, and might always score more, but Royis capable of playing fairly well defensively or his coaches would not have had him out to protect leads as much as they did.

He’s a good prospect but it’s ridiculous to put him in the same sentence as caufield.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

Roy is poor defensively even though he has improved. Caufield is also a poor defender but is much faster than Roy and could at least get back to break up a play. Either way, who cares....neither player will likely ever be known for their defence and trying to claim it as a strength by comparing one player to the other is like saying your ugly girlfriend is beautiful because her friend is uglier.

I love that we have Roy but he has some serious flaws and is not a sure thing to even play in the NHL. Hopefully he can add some explosiveness to his first 3-5 steps as that would make a huge difference for him. He doesn't necessarily need to be fast but he will need to be quicker in tight quarters to gain the space that he will require to make plays at the NHL level.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Who cares about D. Kucherov is horribly lazy defensively too.

That is not entirely true.

Kucherov does take risks and does cheat at times but there are also times when the game is tight in the 3rd where he is very good defensively. He is extremely smart and it is just a carefully calculated risk/reward relationship that he balances throughout the course of a game.

He has the wheels to keep up when he needs to and has the hands and IQ to anticipate and disrupt plays and turn it the other way. His mere presence deters opponents from being too aggressive and keeps their D from activating in the O zone.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He’s a good prospect but it’s ridiculous to put him in the same sentence as caufield.
I didn't do that. Someone else said he was so bad defensively that he makes Caufield look like a Selke winner, and therefore Roy was not a good prospect.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I didn't do that. Someone else said he was so bad defensively that he makes Caufield look like a Selke winner, and therefore Roy was not a good prospect.

If you’re not elite at something specifically, being a complete player helps to have your place in the NHL. Not saying Roy won’t get better defensively either as he’s only 19 after all.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
That is not entirely true.

Kucherov does take risks and does cheat at times but there are also times when the game is tight in the 3rd where he is very good defensively. He is extremely smart and it is just a carefully calculated risk/reward relationship that he balances throughout the course of a game.

He has the wheels to keep up when he needs to and has the hands and IQ to anticipate and disrupt plays and turn it the other way. His mere presence deters opponents from being too aggressive and keeps their D from activating in the O zone.
He does float a lot though. So did a lot of insanely good offensive forwards. Kucherov, Kane, Kovalchuk, Kovalev.... and thats just Ks!

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Honestly he needs to work full-time with a skating coach. He's great at almost everything except moving his feet well. Give him the Barb Underhill treatment and he'll be a star. He could not play for a year but work on his skating and he'd come out a dominant NHL player imo even with the time lost. It's that crucial that he gets better on his skates. Everything else is top notch.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

show me where it says Roy is not a good prospect but yes I was bending the truth a bit when I said he makes Caufield look like the greatest defensive forward in NHL history, I didn't think I would have to really explain that and just assumed people would see that and laugh and not believe Roy actually makes Caufield look like the greatest defensive forward ever.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Honestly he needs to work full-time with a skating coach. He's great at almost everything except moving his feet well. Give him the Barb Underhill treatment and he'll be a star. He could not play for a year but work on his skating and he'd come out a dominant NHL player imo even with the time lost. It's that crucial that he gets better on his skates. Everything else is top notch.

Couldn’t agree more. His skating is his future. His defence is right where it should be In his development arc. No worries. He doesn’t need to work on his shot, stickhandling, passing, IQ is there… His size is fine. The one and only thing is he needs a power skating coach living in his home for the rest of his career. He has one f-ing thing to work on all the time: skating!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Couldn’t agree more. His skating is his future. His defence is right where it should be In his development arc. No worries. He doesn’t need to work on his shot, stickhandling, passing, IQ is there… His size is fine. The one and only thing is he needs a power skating coach living in his home for the rest of his career. He has one f-ing thing to work on all the time: skating!

He has more to work on then just skating, at times his effort defensively is terrible, the pace he plays at is a question mark to see if it will be successful at the NHL level. He needs to add mass and strength as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad