Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Joshua Roy is only 5 months older than Shane Wright lol

Basically we got a free First rounder in the 5th round last year, basically
Can't convince me otherwise

Go read the original thread on Shane Wright in the Prospect sub-board. After a few pages you have random discussion on the 2021 draft and Roy is considered an early candidate (I guess not so surprising, since he was 1st overall in the Q draft). The thread was from 2017 or 2018 I think.

Roy could literally end up being a Top 3 pick from the NHL 2021 draft. Why not? His "decline" was clearly a fluke and now we know the causes, which were remedied. As it is, we stole a Top 10 level prospect.

He the arc of a potential future NHL star.

Last edited:

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Go read the original thread on Shane Wright in the Prospect sub-board. After a few pages you have random discussion on the 2021 draft and Roy is considered an early candidate (I guess not so surprising, since he was 1st overall in the Q draft). The thread was from 2017 or 2018 I think.

Roy could literally end up being a Top 3 pick from the NHL 2021 draft. Why not? His "decline" was clearly a fluke and now we know the causes, which were remedied. As it is, we stole a Top 10 level prospect.

He the arc of a potential future NHL star.

Shows players can decline 1 year in their development, then bounce back the next.

Hopefully that's the case with Shane Wright, though his decline was still a very good 94 points.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Wright doesn't strike me as having Roy's skills though.

Hard-to-read kind of player.

For Roy, his skills and style are more straightforward/identifiable. Either they work at NHL level or they don't, but we know what he is, stylistically speaking.

Wright is more of a mystery.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm still concerned about his skating. There's no way he's ahead of Guhle on our prospect list.

People have been saying this since page 1 of the first thread when we drafted him.

His skating is fine. He's a guy making Zeus-like lightning strikes kind of plays. He doesn't need to be a speedy skater. His edge work seem fine from what I've seen.

Guhle is a great prospect too, but he doesn't have Roy's ceiling IMO, although he is trying very hard to change my mind. It's obvious Guhle will make the NHL, but I care more about what happens if the prospect fulfill his potential, because that's how you win championships,

Last edited:

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
People have been saying this since page 1 of the first thread when we drafted him.

His skating is fine. He's a guy making Zeus-like lightning strikes kind of plays. He doesn't need to be a speedy skater. His edge work seem fine from what I've seen.

Guhle is a great prospect too, but he doesn't have Roy's ceiling IMO, although he is trying very hard to change my mind. It's obvious Guhle will make the NHL, but I care more about what happens if the prospect fulfill his potential, because that's how you win championships,
Hats off to him for an amazing season with huge progress! It sounds like he's had a complete turnaround with his attitude. Kudos to the kid! I hope he succeeds but I've seen many Q stars who couldn't play at the next level. It's especially hard when they don't have NHL level skating.

I doubt if Roy ever becomes nearly as good as Drouin. Drouin was a better player in the Q and is a much better skater. Anything close to Drouin would be great though for a 5th rounder but I have my doubts that he gets there. I hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: Tyson

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hats off to him for an amazing season with huge progress! It sounds like he's had a complete turnaround with his attitude. Kudos to the kid! I hope he succeeds but I've seen many Q stars who couldn't play at the next level. It's especially hard when they don't have NHL level skating.

I doubt if Roy ever becomes nearly as good as Drouin. Drouin was a better player in the Q and is a much better skater. Anything close to Drouin would be great though for a 5th rounder but I have my doubts that he gets there. I hope he proves me wrong.
Yeah I remember the world juniors watching the difference between Hudon and Drouin. I hope Roy develops into more than Charles Hudon.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
I don't know about y'all, but I see a lot of similarities between Kucherov and Roy. Both are not the fastest skaters, but have very high hockey IQ, great shots and are great playmakers.

Hopefully Roy can follow a similar career path as Kucherov. Adding him to the mix of Suzuki, Wright, Caufield would make for a pretty exciting, young, top 6 that will all grow together and all be in their prime at the same time.

I'm really hoping he pans out!

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Roy should be in over whoever career 4th line forward on the rocket.

Thats a perfect development opportunity.
And break up the run they've had so far? Only way he beats any player out is if theres a game time decision and roy has SHOWN he FITS perfectly with his emotions/play/attitude.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And break up the run they've had so far? Only way he beats any player out is if theres a game time decision and roy has SHOWN he FITS perfectly with his emotions/play/attitude.
Who cares about a run like that... its easy to make a mem cup run, just sign all the best players. AHL is a development league.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
I don't know about y'all, but I see a lot of similarities between Kucherov and Roy. Both are not the fastest skaters, but have very high hockey IQ, great shots and are great playmakers.

Hopefully Roy can follow a similar career path as Kucherov. Adding him to the mix of Suzuki, Wright, Caufield would make for a pretty exciting, young, top 6 that will all grow together and all be in their prime at the same time.

I'm really hoping he pans out!
Kucherov without the shitty attitude would be a dream come true.

Reactions: cphabs and FLHabs

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Kucherov without the shitty attitude would be a dream come true.
Roy becoming Kucherov is a pipe dream. That said, the way he deceives defensive players is uncannily similar. In the game last night an announcer commented that you have absolutely no idea what Kucherov is going to do, ie: shoot or pass or hold on a little longer. He hides everything. I think that’s where you see the stylistic comparison.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Roy becoming Kucherov is a pipe dream. That said, the way he deceives defensive players is uncannily similar. In the game last night an announcer commented that you have absolutely no idea what Kucherov is going to do, ie: shoot or pass or hold on a little longer. He hides everything. I think that’s where you see the stylistic comparison.

Kucherov becoming Kucherov was also a pipe dream.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The fact that he signed with Laval, does that mean that the Habs don't have to give him a contract for now?

He is signed to an ELC. But it starts next year and it slides if he goes back to Junior.

He was only signed to an ATO with Laval so he can join them now that his season in Junior is over.

Next year, he can only play for the Habs or go back to Sherbrooke. He's not eligible for the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad