Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Sylvain Lefebvre
"Our job is not to win"
He also said that he prefers winning to development.

On the other hand, it isn’t fair to claim you want to develop a sense of organizational excellence and then not reward the players who got your AHL team deep into the playoffs and running. I think this is the kind of culture move that can backfire.

Roy will play if there is a possibility for it but the Rocket would be insulting their top6 players if they suddenly scratched them for him. Comparing Roy with Carey Price is unfair to both players.
Roy, Kidney, etc can play if there's an injury or two, which is common in this sport.

Reactions: ReHabs

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Lefebvre didn't win and didn't develop players. Somehow kept his job for an insane amount of time.
"Somehow". Much like disgraced former FC Barcelona president Bartomeu "somehow" managed to crater his club's finances to the point of no return, the truth is simple: corruption and fraud.

Lefebvre kept his job because Bergevin wanted him there until he stopped wanting him there. Results and performance were not relevant. From Day 1 that was how Bergevin ran the Habs (into the ground).

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Yeah. Aside from Ylonen, there's nothing entertaining about watching a bunch of lifetime AHLers and other plugs like Paquette, win or lose, playoffs or not. You want to fully commit to development, you play Roy. If he struggles because of physicality and speed, then it'll give him firsthand experience and motivation to train hard in the summer. A guy like him needs to have experiential "reminders" to optimise motivation and commitment.

There are 8 500 people rushing to get tickets in the first 25 minutes of sale that disagree with you.

Let's make it 8 501, because i don't have a ticket and i disagree.

More than disagree, i think that the way some brush off the AHLers who played and fought all year long is disrespectful.

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
On the other hand, it isn’t fair to claim you want to develop a sense of organizational excellence and then not reward the players who got your AHL team deep into the playoffs and running. I think this is the kind of culture move that can backfire.

Roy will play if there is a possibility for it but the Rocket would be insulting their top6 players if they suddenly scratched them for him. Comparing Roy with Carey Price is unfair to both players.
Your point is fair, but I also want to mention that playing Roy or not is not about entitlement. The question to ask is: is he better than some of the players in your lineup? If the answer is yes, than you dress him. Maybe not the first couple of games because (1) they're on a winning streak, (2) he needs some practice time with the system and teammates. But if he shows that he can play, then he should. If he does poorly, then he's scratched next game. Point is, you evaluate him like a player on your roster, and then you ice the best roster.

Reactions: tooji

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
There are 8 500 people rushing to get tickets in the first 25 minutes of sale that disagree with you.

Let's make it 8 501, because i don't have a ticket and i disagree.

More than disagree, i think that the way some brush off the AHLers who played and fought all year long is disrespectful.
People rush to buy tickets for Britney Spears or whatever else because they find that entertaining, and it's within their rights. I don't find it entertaining, that's all. To each his own.

It's no disrespect to the crowd who cheer for the Rocket to play a guy who's better and more exciting than a lesser player. I'm sure everyone would love to see Roy play.

The point is, if he's good enough to be in your lineup, then you play him. If he's not, then don't dress him. And if he isn't better than anyone else right now, then he's a long way from pro hockey. But he shouldn't be dismissed without even being given a chance. It's like saying that Wright should be sent back to Juniors regardless of how he does in Training camp.

In the case of Kidney and Roy, evaluate them and if they can make your team better, let them play.

Heffyhoof

So happy to be glad to be pleased to meet you.
Jan 17, 2016
This org needs a winning culture and a meritocracy culture with it.

Laval are right to focus on Icing a lineup to win.
I'd agree more about that if the team had more than Primeau and RPH as decent shots to help move this culture to the NHL. When the team contains almost nothing for the Organization of value, getting some reps in for your top offensive prospect, barring the draft, is an easy no brainer.

I should add our Organization has long had a 'meritocratic' system where all our prospects have had to 'earn' it over worthless vets.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah. Aside from Ylonen, there's nothing entertaining about watching a bunch of lifetime AHLers and other plugs like Paquette, win or lose, playoffs or not. You want to fully commit to development, you play Roy. If he struggles because of physicality and speed, then it'll give him firsthand experience and motivation to train hard in the summer. A guy like him needs to have experiential "reminders" to optimise motivation and commitment.

There's Ylonen, RHP, Primeau. There was Norlinder before he got blindsided by a moron with about 5 seconds left in the game. Fairbrother should be returning soon, probably during this series.

Laval isn't brimming with prospects right now, but it's not like there aren't any you can follow. Ylonen and RHP are on the top line. And they've played better as the playoffs have gone on. Primeau is playing like he was taken in the 1st round, just outstanding. Norlinder took a few games to adapt, and as soon as he did, you saw what makes him a prospect to get excited about.

It's the Conference Final. Roy and Kidney just got here. It shouldn't be the priority to "develop them" right now. If JF Houle puts one or both in at some point, I'll be as excited as anyone. But they just got there. He shouldn't be forced to toss someone who's been here all year to play the guys who just arrived and have 0 pro hockey experience.

If Sherbrooke and/or Acadie-Bathurst didn't make the playoffs or were eliminated in the 1st round, then I can see them get in because they would have been with Laval from the beginning or real early in the playoffs. Similar to how Norlinder got into the line-up (because he joined Laval from before the playoffs started).

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Your point is fair, but I also want to mention that playing Roy or not is not about entitlement. The question to ask is: is he better than some of the players in your lineup? If the answer is yes, than you dress him. Maybe not the first couple of games because (1) they're on a winning streak, (2) he needs some practice time with the system and teammates. But if he shows that he can play, then he should. If he does poorly, then he's scratched next game. Point is, you evaluate him like a player on your roster, and then you ice the best roster.
It's a huuuuge jump from QMJHL to AHL Playoffs. It's unlikely he would be better than than those players. If he earns his spot through incredible work in practices, then he will have earned it with merit and that's a good thing.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Hey there is the goalie prospect that has been huge during these AHL playoffs!!
Absolutely but Norlinder is playing limited minutes and Ylonen is the only other legitimate prospect in the lineup. If you're really stretching it RHP and Teasdale could become bottom 6 NHLers and Schueneman might play NHL games next year. I do like that a lot of hometown talent is being used though. It's a lot easier for us to get good AHLers who were contemplating retirement/overseas but already are from Laval/Montreal like Dea to play for us.

It just doesn't make sense to be developing, in my opinion, Tobie Bisson from an ECHLer to an AHLer instead of trying to salvage one of our drafted prospects. I am aware Fairbrother is injured and Brook missed most of the year.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Yeah there is a high chance he can provide more to the team than people are making it out to be here. This kid just led the Q in scoring at 18. If he was a 1st round pick people would be clamouring to get him in a game.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Absolutely but Norlinder is playing limited minutes and Ylonen is the only other legitimate prospect in the lineup. If you're really stretching it RHP and Teasdale could become bottom 6 NHLers and Schueneman might play NHL games next year. I do like that a lot of hometown talent is being used though. It's a lot easier for us to get good AHLers who were contemplating retirement/overseas but already are from Laval/Montreal like Dea to play for us.

It just doesn't make sense to be developing, in my opinion, Tobie Bisson from an ECHLer to an AHLer instead of trying to salvage one of our drafted prospects. I am aware Fairbrother is injured and Brook missed most of the year.
I get what you are saying, I just don't want people to forget Primeau after a rough season at times he is having such a great playoffs and I still consider him a prospect for the team that very likely will be in the NHl at some point.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
"Somehow". Much like disgraced former FC Barcelona president Bartomeu "somehow" managed to crater his club's finances to the point of no return, the truth is simple: corruption and fraud.

Lefebvre kept his job because Bergevin wanted him there until he stopped wanting him there. Results and performance were not relevant. From Day 1 that was how Bergevin ran the Habs (into the ground).

Corruption and fraud? Do you know what those terms mean?

I think you mean nepotism not corruption and fraud…

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
There's Ylonen, RHP, Primeau. There was Norlinder before he got blindsided by a moron with about 5 seconds left in the game. Fairbrother should be returning soon, probably during this series.

Laval isn't brimming with prospects right now, but it's not like there aren't any you can follow. Ylonen and RHP are on the top line. And they've played better as the playoffs have gone on. Primeau is playing like he was taken in the 1st round, just outstanding. Norlinder took a few games to adapt, and as soon as he did, you saw what makes him a prospect to get excited about.

It's the Conference Final. Roy and Kidney just got here. It shouldn't be the priority to "develop them" right now. If JF Houle puts one or both in at some point, I'll be as excited as anyone. But they just got there. He shouldn't be forced to toss someone who's been here all year to play the guys who just arrived and have 0 pro hockey experience.

If Sherbrooke and/or Acadie-Bathurst didn't make the playoffs or were eliminated in the 1st round, then I can see them get in because they would have been with Laval from the beginning or real early in the playoffs. Similar to how Norlinder got into the line-up (because he joined Laval from before the playoffs started).
Yeah, I forgot to mention Primeau.
RHP is OK, but not a prospect I'm excited about, which isn't to say that I don't like him.
Wished Fairbrother and Norlinder were playing.

Like I said in another reply, if you think that one of them is better than the players currently playing, then you dress them. If you don't think Roy can contribute more than anyone else on that roster, then it's fair to sit him. If he shows good things in practice, I think it would be fair to give him a shot. Point is, junior players should not be summarily dismissed because of a preconceived notion that the step is too big.

I still remember Richer, Corson and co. joining the farm team after their junior season and winning the championship (my old memory could be faulty though). If a prospect can contribute, play him. If he can't, then don't.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Corruption and fraud? Do you know what those terms mean?

I think you mean nepotism not corruption and fraud…
Barto was corrupt and stealing money. The forensic accountants are trying to uncover his mess but it wasn't mere nepotism.

As for Bergevin, my point was that he operated with impunity and against best practices, re-signing and retaining your buddy to an important role he is not suited for is beyond nepotism it is corruption. Highing Carrier's son for a role he wasn't suited for is downright fraudulent.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Barto was corrupt and stealing money. The forensic accountants are trying to uncover his mess but it wasn't mere nepotism.

As for Bergevin, my point was that he operated with impunity and against best practices, re-signing and retaining your buddy to an important role he is not suited for is beyond nepotism it is corruption. Highing Carrier's son for a role he wasn't suited for is downright fraudulent.

I’m referring to Bergevin - you’re comparing a fraudster to a nepotism issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad