Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Wateredgarden

Oct 10, 2020
I believe that Roy is talented enough to have an impact right away in the AHL, not so sure about Kidney, he's more of a long term project.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
There's no way I see any of Riley or Roy play. At all. Unless....we are being ridiculized and behind 3-0 in games. You might see a Condotta sit that one. Or guys that the organization know won't be back next year.

Physically, there's no way that I see Kidney being ready. Kid has a lot of gym to do this summer.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
There's no way I see any of Riley or Roy play. At all. Unless....we are being ridiculized and behind 3-0 in games. You might see a Condotta sit that one. Or guys that the organization know won't be back next year.

Physically, there's no way that I see Kidney being ready. Kid has a lot of gym to do this summer.

I could see Roy, not kidney

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Maybe Roy. MAYBE. if the offense isn't getting the job done, i could see it after 2 games maybe.

Otherwise, they will keep working with the guys who brought them here. Rightfully so, despite what people who don't care about the team think.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Lots of rookies played their first games in the NHL playoffs. Not sure why they would look off a talent like Roy in the AHL. But yeah I agree that they will likely only change the lineup after a loss

Reactions: Tyson

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Roy is already better then half those guys

That group brought them where they are. Unless you have an extraordinairy talent à la Price, you don't just come in and push the guys out of the lineup. There's already 2 regulars out there that are sitting like Beaudin and Roy.

That is a 100% fair point but there are some kids who can make the jump and I get the feeling Roy wouldn't look out of place.

I have no problem to think he wouldn't. I agree. But it's a little more than that. Actually, based on where I thin this series is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see him.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Lots of rookies played their first games in the NHL playoffs. Not sure why they would look off a talent like Roy in the AHL. But yeah I agree that they will likely only change the lineup after a loss

Who are those players that went from playing CHL hockey to playing their first nhl game in the playoffs in the same year? It will be a very small list, and even shorter if you only include those that were 18 years old.

Jul 6, 2016
Ma
Who are those players that went from playing CHL hockey to playing their first nhl game in the playoffs in the same year? It will be a very small list, and even shorter if you only include those that were 18 years old.
Maybe Robertson in Toronto last season. But the kid stayed in the AHL this season.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Kinda liking this managements approach to junior players I don't remember so many getting ATO's for playoffs following junior offseasons

They had some every year, but it's highly dependent on the AHL team success vs the prospects' team and the amount of CHL drafted players. Considering how the AHL team did under Bergevin, it's not exactly surprising you don't remember. If your AHL team doesn't make the PO, pretty much only the players from CHL who also don't make the PO can join.

2013: Archambault, Vail, Hudon
2014: Vail, Crisp
2015: Bozon, Lernout
2016: Audette, Bourque, Addison
2017: Juulsen
2018: Felhaber (undrafted, unsigned)
2019: Brook, Struthers (undrafted, unsigned)
2020 and 2021 are weird due to Covid.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Maybe he would like fine, but then we go back to my first point:
What is the mission of the farm team? To develop players. A great opportunity to teach a young kid the pressures of playoff hockey at the pro level.
Yes I want to win, 100% but the reason this league exists is to allow young players the chance to develop for the NHL.

In 2007 Yann Danis was the goalie throughout the entire year and he didn't play one minute in the playoffs, Gainey wanted them to play Carey Price

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
What is the mission of the farm team? To develop players. A great opportunity to teach a young kid the pressures of playoff hockey at the pro level.
Yes I want to win, 100% but the reason this league exists is to allow young players the chance to develop for the NHL.

In 2007 Yann Danis was the goalie throughout the entire year and he didn't play one minute in the playoffs, Gainey wanted them to play Carey Price
Houle already said that they had 70 games to focus on developing the player, but now that they are in the playoffs, winning is more important.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Houle already said that they had 70 games to focus on developing the player, but now that they are in the playoffs, winning is more important.
Had the Hamilton Bulldogs thought that way in 2007 Price would have ridden the pine.
Every coach and management manage differently.
Myself I want to win first and foremost but I think a supremely talented player like Roy would be able to keep up...just my 2 cents.

It will be a shame if he sees no game action.

Reactions: cphabs

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Had the Hamilton Bulldogs thought that way in 2007 Price would have ridden the pine.
Myself I want to win first and foremost but I think a supremely talented player like Roy would be able to keep up...just my 2 cents.

Price got to play 2 regular season games before the playoffs to show what he could do.
If Roy had that chance, then things could be different.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Price was a better goalie than Danis at that point though.

Are Roy or Kidney better players than the Laval top-6 (or even top-9) right now? Consider the physical maturity, not just actual talent.

This is especially important now that we're up against a big D team. Their smallest D is a 28 years old 6' grown man (who played some NHL).

Roy has more chances to get in games because he is physically closer, but even then it depends how he does in team practice.

I could see something like if the team starts losing:
Harvey-Pinard - Dea - Ylonen
Roy -Paquette-Belzile
Bourque-Abbandonato-Martel
Gignac -Schnarr-Teasdale/Condotta

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
I must say, I love the way Roy and Kidney have been handled so far under the new management. Light and day! Even if they don't play (and I hope they do) they'll have a chance to experience the cup run and the Rocket and Habs can get a glimpse at where they are in their development in practice. Smart moves!

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
I wish they'd play him and Kidney.. it's hard to care about the Laval run outside of a few guys. Martel, Dea and Abbadanato who cares.
Yeah. Aside from Ylonen, there's nothing entertaining about watching a bunch of lifetime AHLers and other plugs like Paquette, win or lose, playoffs or not. You want to fully commit to development, you play Roy. If he struggles because of physicality and speed, then it'll give him firsthand experience and motivation to train hard in the summer. A guy like him needs to have experiential "reminders" to optimise motivation and commitment.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Yeah. Aside from Ylonen, there's nothing entertaining about watching a bunch of lifetime AHLers and other plugs like Paquette, win or lose, playoffs or not. You want to fully commit to development, you play Roy. If he struggles because of physicality and speed, then it'll give him firsthand experience and motivation to train hard in the summer. A guy like him needs to have experiential "reminders" to optimise motivation and commitment.
On the other hand, it isn’t fair to claim you want to develop a sense of organizational excellence and then not reward the players who got your AHL team deep into the playoffs and running. I think this is the kind of culture move that can backfire.

Roy will play if there is a possibility for it but the Rocket would be insulting their top6 players if they suddenly scratched them for him. Comparing Roy with Carey Price is unfair to both players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad