Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
It has been reported often that KK was not listening to instructions.
Reported by who? Was it credible?

Reason I ask is because we have a history here of trashing guys on the way out. I’m at the point now where I don’t take it at face value anymore.

Hopefully that’s another thing we see change under new Mgmt.

Reactions: yianik

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Come on. Bad faith or what ? I did not invent it and it was reported by reporters on the beat. But I know you are listening only to what you like and trust.
I edited my post. See above. The one sentence reply came off as snarky which was not my intent and why I edited.

I just don’t trust the org after what I’ve seen. I’m genuinely interested in where this is come from. I have a hard time believing he wouldn’t listen to his coach.

Jul 6, 2016
I edited my post. See above.

I just don’t trust the org after what I’ve seen. I’m genuinely interested in where this is come from. I have a hard time believing he wouldn’t listen to his coach.
Is he progressing under Laviolette ? He is playing 4th line with less than 12 minutes on average per game. If it was the case in MTL, fans here would cry "murder" !... And don't give me the excuse that there are better players in front of him in the line up. Jarvis, a raw rookie is having top-two lines minutes.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Can you point to someone who benefited by being rushed? It's not easy to do, I think. Crosby and Gretzky and so on were going to succeed however they were developed. There aren't that many players who started in the league at 18 or 19, and fewer who did well. I'm trying to think of someone who could be said to have spent so much time in juniors or the AHL that it did them harm.

A bunch of top picks like Hughes and Stamkos had sort of meh first years in the NHL, but were never in real danger of having their development sacrificed for team wins. I really don't know if this helps them more than playing junior or NCAA.

Sure, if the guy can thrive, as opposed to survive, and the coach won't bench him for expected rookie errors, and someone will work with him on expected rookie errors, then, fine, try him in the NHL. The 1OA pick this year may be ready to benefit from NHL time, in spite of contract considerations, but I don't se Roy being ready. It's rough that the other option is junior, but unless he scores at will at camp I don't see keeping him in the NHL.
Ryan O'Reilly.

And that's literally off the top of my head without thinking. 2nd round pick who played in the NHL right after being drafted.

As for your second point about "trying to think of a player who was sent back that it did harm too." That's a really easy point to make when there are so many players who never make the NHL. It very well could have harmed many players. Being sent back after 9 games can harm players.

With a crapshoot as big as the NHL draft, it's pretty easy to write and backup any narrative.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Ryan O'Reilly.

And that's literally off the top of my head without thinking. 2nd round pick who played in the NHL right after being drafted.

As for your second point about "trying to think of a player who was sent back that it did harm too." That's a really easy point to make when there are so many players who never make the NHL. It very well could have harmed many players. Being sent back after 9 games can harm players.

With a crapshoot as big as the NHL draft, it's pretty easy to write and backup any narrative.
Possibly. ROR started with consecutive 26 point seasons, and he's great defensively but maybe he'd have more offense if he'd dominated lower leagues instead of putting up a point every 3 or 4 games in the NHL.

There are loads of players who never make the NHL, but do players really deteriorate in lower leagues? It's possible, I suppose maybe Corey Locke or some other AHL star could have been pushed more in the NHL, but most of those guys just have limitations. We can think of 3-4 players in the last decade or two on the one team that were called up early and ended up declining, Mete, KK, Leblanc, Galchenyuk... They all started in the NHL early and they all peaked way below their expected ceilings. I still can't think of anyone who got cut and got worse, maybe Ho-Sang. Esposito got worse, but then he was on a downward trajectory, same with Veleno.

You're definitely right, hockey is hard to analyze and it's very easy to convince yourself of a subjective narrative. I may just be judging based on poor habs coaches.

Reactions: rahad

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Since it's the Joshua Roy thread. Kudos to Joshua for a great season. On goal to primary assists in a 4-3 defeat. 23 points in 11 playoffs game. Many thought he would slow down, he never really did. He was around 2 points per game the whole season at 18. Bright future ahead of him.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There may be no player who should play in the NHL this year. Last year's top pick did not.
Last year's top pick did not sign a contract!

Furthermore, he was a defenceman, and finally he went to the NCAA and played one year against men, not kids again.

Reactions: Goalfield13

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Last year's top pick did not sign a contract!

Furthermore, he was a defenceman, and finally he went to the NCAA and played one year against men, not kids again.
Power did sign a contract this year and played in the NHL as soon as his D+1 season in the Ncaa was over.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Given how much Roy dominated the Q, and he played three full seasons there including 14 playoff games, I just can't see a point in sending him back. I doubt that he has more to learn at that level, there's also a risk of him learning lazy habits.

Roy-Wright-Gallagher could be a good third line next year.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Kotkaniemi definitely did not dominate his opposition for 79 games in his rookie year. In fact, he was bad in the last stretch. He had 0 goals and 2 assists in the last 14 games.

The next season, he started with 3 pts in 17 games. He clearly did not earn a promotion with how he ended his rookie season and how he started his sophomore year.
In KK's case, I seem to remember the game it all started going wrong. He had an ok start of the season and suddenly Julien demoted him or healthy scratch him and blasted him on the media. His play took a big plunge and he hardly could recover from that.

After that, every time he got something going, he was put down 2 or 3 games later. His play was over analysed and nobody was ready to take the time and to give him the time to progress. ( citing that NHL is no development league. )

I feel like he should not have been in the nhl until this year or last. He was rushed and management and coaching were not ready to invest time and rookie mistake on him. It shattered his confidence.

I'd be really careful assessing this year with the Canes of KK. They obvisously liked what they saw and renewed him for a reason. They had to start his development from scratch this year giving him fourth line minutes. I'd bet with anyone that they are grooming him to be Staal's replacement in the not so distant future and he will do a really good job at it.

Canes management have something we don't and it's patience. I feel a lot of us are going to eat crow on KK in the next 4 to 5 years. This is only year one of his rebuild and he already shown flashes of progress...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
In KK's case, I seem to remember the game it all started going wrong. He had an ok start of the season and suddenly Julien demoted him or healthy scratch him and blasted him on the media. His play took a big plunge and he hardly could recover from that.

After that, every time he got something going, he was put down 2 or 3 games later. His play was over analysed and nobody was ready to take the time and to give him the time to progress. ( citing that NHL is no development league. )

I feel like he should not have been in the nhl until this year or last. He was rushed and management and coaching were not ready to invest time and rookie mistake on him. It shattered his confidence.

I'd be really careful assessing this year with the Canes of KK. They obvisously liked what they saw and renewed him for a reason. They had to start his development from scratch this year giving him fourth line minutes. I'd bet with anyone that they are grooming him to be Staal's replacement in the not so distant future and he will do a really good job at it.

Canes management have something we don't and it's patience. I feel a lot of us are going to eat crow on KK in the next 4 to 5 years. This is only year one of his rebuild and he already shown flashes of progress...
He still resembles a newly born fawn that barely has leg strength and balance.

Given how much Roy dominated the Q, and he played three full seasons there including 14 playoff games, I just can't see a point in sending him back. I doubt that he has more to learn at that level, there's also a risk of him learning lazy habits.

There are alot of players who owned the QMJHL and could never make the jump.
He was a 5th rounder for a reason. He has work to do

Reactions: bopeep

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I believe a European stint in the SEL would be great for him…..too good for the Q and too young for the A

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Claude Giroux dominated the Q after his draft year, returned to the Q again and put up over 100 points in the regular season and 51 in 17 playoff games.

Not saying Roy is as good as Giroux, I just think another year dominating the Q and playing in the World Juniors won't hurt Roy. He can continue to improve in certain areas and then he can turn pro the following year.

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Molson should buy a team in Europe to further develop prospects. Would he be allowed to by the NHL? Because he would also gain a scouting advantage too...

CapSpace

Caufield is lit
Nov 25, 2013
Near Montreal

Cement-hands Gallagher can't make a tape to tape pass to save his own life, how could he ever help develops a two rookies with offensive potential? At this point Gally is an overpaid plug.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad