Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Im concerned about Wrights Skating...
LOL! I guarantee Wright won't one of RLR's nominees for the Brad Marsh Skating in Quicksand award that Roy was listed in before last year's draft.

Wright's a far better skater than Roy. Wasn't Wright second fastest skater in the CHL Prospects Game skills competition?

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
LOL! I guarantee Wright won't one of RLR's nominees for the Brad Marsh Skating in Quicksand award that Roy was listed in before last year's draft.

Wright's a far better skater than Roy. Wasn't Wright second fastest skater in the CHL Prospects Game skills competition?

He was one of the best testers in skating at the prospect game, yeah.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Roy has a higher Hockey IQ than Toffoli.
It's difficult to project junior to NHL. Toffoli essentially only made the NHL because of his IQ. He got Shane Prince drafted in the 2nd round at least and Ceci in the first. He really f'd Ottawa. I think people look down on Toffoli because he played his entire prime in a defense-first system where he still managed to be a 50-60 point guy. If he had gone anywhere but Calgary I'm sure his numbers would have jumped again. Sutter just plays him the way he did in LA.

Still though Toffoli would be a first rounder in a redraft, probably even top 15 in a very strong draft(poor depth though). It used to be 400 games to get your pension and 35 guys have hit it so far. While researching I think all players get it now after a much lower point, but you can't collect til 45 at the minimum and only get the full amount if you start at 62.

If Roy even turns out as good as Toffoli that's a pretty good case, Toffoli was one of LA's better players in the 2014 cup win and basically eliminated the Hawks.

Reactions: Andrei79

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hard to say but it's a good point you bring up. With Roy, all we are doing is guess work on his growth from today to the next few years. Biggest test will be when he turns pro and plays with less time and space and more physical players. Most drown and some don't skip a beat.

Right now today, Roy is very close to Toffoli's size and weight. I think he is well suited or prepared to the next challenge after he turns pro. Until then, just enjoy what you see cause he's turning heads more and more. Obsession to improve seems to be there which I like a lot.

One area I like is how Roy looked at our development camp last year. He shined where Kidney didn't. This is one area you can look at in terms of his ability to deal with older and more mature players cause I suspect he was one of the younger guys in our camp (like Kidney)

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
What's the problem some have with Roy going back to Sherbrooke next season? It was good for Suzuki, also born in August, so as young a 19 yo can be. Also, some say Kucherov as a comparable is a pipe dream, but Kucherov played in the Q at 19 achieving 2 pts/game with Sven Andrighetto and J-S Dea, better than Parent and Anctil.. Roy did amost 2 pys/game this year at 18, so reaching Kucherov level may be a pipe dream for some, but we don't know what his maturation curve will be.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
What's the problem some have with Roy going back to Sherbrooke next season? It was good for Suzuki, also born in August, so as young a 19 yo can be. Also, some say Kucherov as a comparable is a pipe dream, but Kucherov played in the Q at 19 achieving 2 pts/game with Sven Andrighetto and J-S Dea, better than Parent and Anctil.. Roy did amost 2 pys/game this year at 18, so reaching Kucherov level may be a pipe dream for some, but we don't know what his maturation curve will be.
The issue is that Roy has already dominated the Q, with 119 points in 66 games.

Suzuki had 100 points in 64 games.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't know about y'all, but I see a lot of similarities between Kucherov and Roy. Both are not the fastest skaters, but have very high hockey IQ, great shots and are great playmakers.

Hopefully Roy can follow a similar career path as Kucherov. Adding him to the mix of Suzuki, Wright, Caufield would make for a pretty exciting, young, top 6 that will all grow together and all be in their prime at the same time.

I'm really hoping he pans out!

The only player in the league capable of pacing like Kucherov is McDavid. There is little to no chance he'll follow a similar career path. If he's a David Perron-like player that's a huge win where we got him.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

I have no issue with Roy going back to Sherbrooke. I wouldn't mind the 9 game NHL tryout either, but that depends on his strength and conditioning. When Suzuki finally made the team, he was a tank for his age. I don't see any rush with Roy, especially since he's a local guy. He can dominate the Q, play in the WJC, go on a deep run in the Q or maybe join Laval for another run if he's eliminated quickly.

It's difficult to project junior to NHL. Toffoli essentially only made the NHL because of his IQ. He got Shane Prince drafted in the 2nd round at least and Ceci in the first. He really f'd Ottawa. I think people look down on Toffoli because he played his entire prime in a defense-first system where he still managed to be a 50-60 point guy. If he had gone anywhere but Calgary I'm sure his numbers would have jumped again. Sutter just plays him the way he did in LA.

Still though Toffoli would be a first rounder in a redraft, probably even top 15 in a very strong draft(poor depth though). It used to be 400 games to get your pension and 35 guys have hit it so far. While researching I think all players get it now after a much lower point, but you can't collect til 45 at the minimum and only get the full amount if you start at 62.

If Roy even turns out as good as Toffoli that's a pretty good case, Toffoli was one of LA's better players in the 2014 cup win and basically eliminated the Hawks.

This is very well said.

Reactions: montreal

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
That's why I insist on maturation, physically and mentally, that is the natural part of the so called development and the most important.

I have no issue with Roy going back to Sherbrooke. I wouldn't mind the 9 game NHL tryout either, but that depends on his strength and conditioning. When Suzuki finally made the team, he was a tank for his age. I don't see any rush with Roy, especially since he's a local guy. He can dominate the Q, play in the WJC, go on a deep run in the Q or maybe join Laval for another run if he's eliminated quickly.

This is very well said.

Reactions: cphabs

FLHabs

Send all your underacheiving prospects!!
Feb 18, 2017
The only player in the league capable of pacing like Kucherov is McDavid. There is little to no chance he'll follow a similar career path. If he's a David Perron-like player that's a huge win where we got him.
When I was comparing him with Kucherov, I meant it more as a play style. They play a very similar game imo. In terms of career path, nobody thought Kucherov would be as good as he is today. I'm hoping Roy can also exceed the expectation people have for him.

The way I see it, no one can predict his ceiling until we see how his game translate in the NHL.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
The few comments I heard from MSL following his contract announcement suggest he'll prioritize teaching the kids over winning in the coming season.

This season might be the best time to join the team for young players.

There's always the risk of the player losing interest by staying in an inferior league for too long. Roy already showed his motivation could drop so I think it's worth it to give him a shot this year if he shows promise at camp.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
The few comments I heard from MSL following his contract announcement suggest he'll prioritize teaching the kids over winning in the coming season.

There's always the risk of the player losing interest by staying in an inferior league for too long. Roy already showed his motivation could drop so I think it's worth it to give him a shot this year if he shows promise at camp.

Even if it would be a good season for young players to play under MSL, it doesn't mean they all need to come in.

There will still be Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Barron, Poehling, RHP, Ylonen, Mysak, Norlinder, Fairbrother, and Xhekaj. You can add the 1st overall pick that could be brought in right away.

Some of these guys will be in Laval. Some all year there or part of the year. Others will be in Montreal.

We just shouldn't want the prospects to skip steps.

Since they were drafted:
- Suzuki spent 2 years in the OHL before turning pro
- Caufield played 2 year in Wisconsin before turning pro
- Romanov spent 2 years in the KHL before coming over
- Guhle is currently playing his 2nd year in the WHL before turning pro next year
- Harris spent 4 years at Northeastern before turning pro
- Barron spent a year in junior and a year in the AHL before playing NHL
- Norlinder played 3 years in Sweden and is now here to stay
- Ylonen played 2 years of Liiga and now is finishing his 2nd year in the AHL
- RHP spent 1 year in the QMJHL and is now finishing his 2nd year in the AHL
- Fairbrother played 2 years in the WHL and is now in his 1st year in the AHL

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
I understand people want to keep the bar low about Roy, but all the very good players taken around #25 and in the rounds after that went through the same process. with a few exceptions like Bergeron or O'Reilly that made the NHL at 18. All we know is that at this stage Roy has a chance the be a real impact player, but he will need to mature more before we can tell. We don't know how far from his ceiling he is.

Reactions: cphabs

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
That is not true. Roy said a few weeks ago that he does not want to skip a step and that even though he will try to make the team at camp, he expect to go back to Sherbrooke. He showed no sign of decrease in his motivation. He kept a pace close to 2 points per game the whole year.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I hope so. Toffoli is very hockey IQ limited and he benefit in the past of centers like Kopitar.
From what I saw, Roy is creative and energetic. He doesn't wait in silence for scoring opportunities, he's pro-active.

That is not true. Roy said a few weeks ago that he does not want to skip a step and that even though he will try to make the team at camp, he expect to go back to Sherbrooke. He showed no sign of decrease in his motivation. He kept a pace close to 2 points per game the whole year.
I guess he will stay one more year in Sherbrooke, half year in Laval and then jump in nhl.
Or start the year in Montreal next september if he make Habs management no choice.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Even if it would be a good season for young players to play under MSL, it doesn't mean they all need to come in.

There will still be Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov, Guhle, Harris, Barron, Poehling, RHP, Ylonen, Mysak, Norlinder, Fairbrother, and Xhekaj. You can add the 1st overall pick that could be brought in right away.

Some of these guys will be in Laval. Some all year there or part of the year. Others will be in Montreal.

We just shouldn't want the prospects to skip steps.

Since they were drafted:
- Suzuki spent 2 years in the OHL before turning pro
- Caufield played 2 year in Wisconsin before turning pro
- Romanov spent 2 years in the KHL before coming over
- Guhle is currently playing his 2nd year in the WHL before turning pro next year
- Harris spent 4 years at Northeastern before turning pro
- Barron spent a year in junior and a year in the AHL before playing NHL
- Norlinder played 3 years in Sweden and is now here to stay
- Ylonen played 2 years of Liiga and now is finishing his 2nd year in the AHL
- RHP spent 1 year in the QMJHL and is now finishing his 2nd year in the AHL
- Fairbrother played 2 years in the WHL and is now in his 1st year in the AHL
I have a feeling that Wright will be playing a full rookie season in the NHL. But for the rest of our prospects let’s play it safe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad