Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
I love what he's doing but the true test will be when they meet with Quebec. Sherbrooke will easily take care of the Armada. If Roy can then show his dominance in the finals the excitement will be through the roof.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I love what he's doing but the true test will be when they meet with Quebec. Sherbrooke will easily take care of the Armada. If Roy can then show his dominance in the finals the excitement will be through the roof.

Actually, Phoenix is not that strong aside from that Roy-Parent-Anctil line. Not very deep. So Sherbrooke won't go that far. But it won't mean Roy isn't a good prospect.

Reactions: dralaf and jfm133

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Actually, Phoenix is not that strong aside from that Roy-Parent-Anctil line. Not very deep. So Sherbrooke won't go that far. But it won't mean Roy isn't a good prospect.
That's probably true, but sometimes in the lower levels, some far-above-the-pack players can pull mediocre teams to greatness.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Still trying to keep my hopes reasonable
kid is not helping tho

Wait till the WJC (if he makes it in Aug) and then next year in the Q without those 20 year old's on his line. If he continues on this path regardless of the obstacles, we got a grade A gem. If not, he remains a B+ prospect. This Q playoffs is of value as well. 12 pts with 4 goals in 4 games. What more can we ask for?

Wondering if he gets a shot to play wing on Wright's line at the WJC? :naughty:

Last edited:

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Wait till the WJC (if he makes it in Aug) and then next year in the Q without those 20 year old's on his line. If he continues on this path regardless of the obstacles, we got a grade A gem. If not, he remains a B+ prospect. This Q playoffs is of value as well.

This is how I see it too. His 2022-2023 season will be very telling of what we have. Tough not to give in to the enthusiasm in the meantime though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is how I see it too. His 2022-2023 season will be very telling of what we have. Tough not to give in to the enthusiasm in the meantime though.

Yup, the enthusiasm is valid. I'm also trying to calm down my expectations but it's hard to ignore. However, for now, I have him labeled as a B+ on the cusp of grade A

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Strange to hear that story about Parent and Anctil all the times. Yes they are good 20 years old players, but undrafted ones. McDavid played with future NHLers, Connor Brown, De Brincat, Strome. Marner played with Dvorak, Domi, Tkachuk. All good NHLers. At one point this stuff will need to stop. The idea that a player will win a championship all by himself on a weak team is ridiculous. Hockey is a team sport. You need to have good enough players around you to make plays and really be productive. You want to see a well surronded player in the Q? Look at Mavrik Bourque in Shawinigan, 20 months older than Roy, 30th overall in 2020, plays with Xavier Bourgault, another first round pick, Olivier Nadeau a great 4th round pick, and Pierrick Dubé, a good 20 years old player that played 10 games in the ECHL this year with Trois-Rivières. That's being well surrounded, and Roy, despite being 20 months younger, is better than Bourque. Again, at some point the narrative will have to change about Roy. He is not a sure thing like the vast majority of 18 yrears old players, but with all he has shown this year, I think his status has changed. He needs to be seen as top prospect, like a first round pick with an excellent D +1 year.
Wait till the WJC (if he makes it in Aug) and then next year in the Q without those 20 year old's on his line. If he continues on this path regardless of the obstacles, we got a grade A gem. If not, he remains a B+ prospect. This Q playoffs is of value as well. 12 pts with 4 goals in 4 games. What more can we ask for?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Strange to hear that story about Parent and Anctil all the times. Yes they are good 20 years old players, but undrafted ones. McDavid played with future NHLers, Connor Brown, De Brincat, Strome. Marner played with Dvorak, Domi, Tkachuk. All good NHLers. At one point this stuff will need to stop. The idea that a player will win a championship all by himself on a weak team is ridiculous. Hockey is a team sport. You need to have good enough players around you to make plays and really be productive. You want to see a well surronded player in the Q? Look at Mavrik Bourque in Shawinigan, 20 months older than Roy, 30th overall in 2020, plays with Xavier Bourgault, another first round pick, Olivier Nadeau a great 4th round pick, and Pierrick Dubé, a good 20 years old player that played 10 games in the ECHL this year with Trois-Rivières. That's being well surrounded, and Roy, despite being 20 months younger, is better than Bourque. Again, at some point the narrative will have to change about Roy. He is not a sure thing like the vast majority of 18 yrears old players, but with all he has shown this year, I think his status has changed. He needs to be seen as top prospect, like a first round pick with an excellent D +1 year.

Good performing 20 year olds are a big factor. You're too sensitive on Roy's pro/con approach. Players from 18-21 are growing fast and when you got a guy like Roy playing with two 20 year olds, it helps his game. You just can't ignore that part.

Assume this like I think Roy is not that great if you wish. It's not the case. It's just context to evaluate and to tone down the expectations.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Again. I gave you examples of superstars that were very well surrounded in juniors by future good NHLers and nobody ever said that they were good because of their linemates. There are plenty of other examples of good players that were well surrounded by other future NHLers in juniors. Just in the Q, MacKinnon, Drouin, Ehlers, Dubois, Meier

Good performing 20 year olds are a big factor. You're too sensitive on Roy's pro/con approach. Players from 18-21 are growing fast and when you got a guy like Roy playing with two 20 year olds, it helps his game. You just can't ignore that part.

Assume this like I think Roy is not that great if you wish. It's not the case. It's just context to evaluate and to tone down the expectations.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Again. I gave you examples of superstars that were very well surrounded in juniors by future good NHLers and nobody ever said that they were good because of their linemates. There are plenty of other examples of good players that were well surrounded by other future NHLers in juniors. Just in the Q, MacKinnon, Drouin, Ehlers, Dubois, Meier

Roy is not a superstar yet. He's a 5th round steal performing very very well in his age 18 season. Playing with two 20 year olds helps his game. There is no doubt about this.

It's just context to calm down the expectations on someone who is playing very very well. If he does it again next year without two 20 year olds, It makes his development resume even more impressive.

Naming those names is just listing exceptions. Might apply to Roy, might not. I get what you are saying but throwing the two 20 year old under the rug or ignoring it is not something I'm willing to do. I prefer to look at both pro's and cons and not pump him into superstar level this early

I think they will invite him to the WJC.

He should make it. There will be players who made the WJC in Jan who will not be on that team in Aug.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
I have watched many Phoenix games this season and my observation is that Roy has benefitted a lot from Parent carrying the puck and establishing puck control in the offensive zone, especially on the Powerplay. This is what I'd like to see from him more next season. Carry the puck, enter the O zone in control of the puck, establish the cycle game down low, move his feet.

Roy has had a tremendous season and is having terrific playoffs so far. He does need to prove that he can do more of the work leading to goals than he has this year though; become more of a play driver, in my very personal opinion. Obviously, Roy is a skilled player, but I find his points to come a lot from the same areas/same plays. It's one thing to do it when you're Ovechkin or Stamkos, it's another when you don't have that pedigree.

I can't speak for all the guys that you have mentioned. But MacKinnon was an absolute force out there when he had the puck. He skated with authority in possession of the puck and drove the play like few other junior players. This is essentially what I'm finding Roy is lacking and this is also what Parent is providing. Joshua Roy is a very good prospect that still needs another year in juniors. Let him take that locker room; be that undisputed leader; learn to drive the play night in, night out. 1 more year will do him wonders. Then he can join Laval for a year or 2; then I could see him becoming ready for the NHL.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
What do you think Roy should be to be considered a top prospect? A player scoring 50 unassisted goals per season with only few assists because he would be surrounded by players unable to score in an empty net?

I also watched Roy a lot this year, and what I saw is a sniper à la Caufield and a passer à la Suzuki. Yes he is not the main puck carrier, and so what? He is te type of fast processor of the game that does not keep the puck for a long time very often. He is always thinking about his next move, a pass or a shot. So yes he needs teamates to pass the puck to and to recieve it from. That's what hockey is mainly about.

I have watched many Phoenix games this season and my observation is that Roy has benefitted a lot from Parent carrying the puck and establishing puck control in the offensive zone, especially on the Powerplay. This is what I'd like to see from him more next season. Carry the puck, enter the O zone in control of the puck, establish the cycle game down low, move his feet.

Roy has had a tremendous season and is having terrific playoffs so far. He does need to prove that he can do more of the work leading to goals than he has this year though; become more of a play driver, in my very personal opinion. Obviously, Roy is a skilled player, but I find his points to come a lot from the same areas/same plays. It's one thing to do it when you're Ovechkin or Stamkos, it's another when you don't have that pedigree.

I can't speak for all the guys that you have mentioned. But MacKinnon was an absolute force out there when he had the puck. He skated with authority in possession of the puck and drove the play like few other junior players. This is essentially what I'm finding Roy is lacking and this is also what Parent is providing. Joshua Roy is a very good prospect that still needs another year in juniors. Let him take that locker room; be that undisputed leader; learn to drive the play night in, night out. 1 more year will do him wonders. Then he can join Laval for a year or 2; then I could see him becoming ready for the NHL.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
What do you think Roy should be to be considered a top prospect? A player scoring 50 unassisted goals per season with only few assists because he would be surrounded by players unable to score in an empty net?

I also watched Roy a lot this year, and what I saw is a sniper à la Caufield and a passer à la Suzuki. Yes he is not the main puck carrier, and so what? He is te type of fast processor of the game that does not keep the puck for a long time very often. He is always thinking about his next move, a pass or a shot. So yes he needs teamates to pass the puck to and to recieve it from. That's what hockey is mainly about.
In my opinion, to be considered a top prospect, Roy needs to prove that he can repeat the kind of season that he just had. Plus, he has the opportunity next year to develop some areas of his game that he hasn't had to work on this year because other players were doing it. I'm thinking this will be a win for the Roy, for the Phoenix and for the Canadiens. I don't want to denature him and transform him into something he's not. But he should be motivated by the perspective of having that chance to be the face of this Sherbrooke team next year; be the captain, lead by example and keep on developing while having increased responsibility towards his team. To me, he seems to be embracing that challenge ahead of him too.

I tend to agree with your description of the player. He'll never be the main puck carrier on his line, but it doesn't prevent him from improving on this by staying in the QMJHL for 1 more season. He'll never be the high tempo guy all over the ice; he'll pick his spot, use time and space to his advantage and make good use of his linemates.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
In my opinion, to be considered a top prospect, Roy needs to prove that he can repeat the kind of season that he just had. Plus, he has the opportunity next year to develop some areas of his game that he hasn't had to work on this year because other players were doing it. I'm thinking this will be a win for the Roy, for the Phoenix and for the Canadiens. I don't want to denature him and transform him into something he's not. But he should be motivated by the perspective of having that chance to be the face of this Sherbrooke team next year; be the captain, lead by example and keep on developing while having increased responsibility towards his team. To me, he seems to be embracing that challenge ahead of him too.

I tend to agree with your description of the player. He'll never be the main puck carrier on his line, but it doesn't prevent him from improving on this by staying in the QMJHL for 1 more season. He'll never be the high tempo guy all over the ice; he'll pick his spot, use time and space to his advantage and make good use of his linemates.
Shane Wright will carry the puck for him :naughty:.

Reactions: MTL-rules

cbtitan

Oct 3, 2017
The defences in the Q are not anywhere close to the quality of defences in other leagues. He will have a long road but he definitely has skills.
How much Q are you really following?
You are talking about the League that won the 2018 and 2019 Memorial Cups.....and they faced the best of these defensive "juggernauts"....
This is a general statement I read way too often in order to discredit the Q.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
How much Q are you really following?
You are talking about the League that won the 2018 and 2019 Memorial Cups.....and they faced the best of these defensive "juggernauts"....
This is a general statement I read way too often in order to discredit the Q.
I'm confused, is this a reply to me or to ExpatHabs or both of us? I don't feel like I depreciated the QMJHL in my post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad