Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At the beginning of the year, I had Roy close to Farrell and Kidney behind them. Some had Farrell 1st. Roy has earned better prospect ranking and I have him just behind Guhle.

Guhle is ready for the NHL cause he is big and strong already and he knows how to play D. Roy when he turns pro will be interesting to watch. Could keep right on trucking or have stall years. Very hard to guess at this point in time.

I'll keep him as a B+ for now. Another year like this past year and he's a grade A IMO.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
All goals by Roy this season. Watching it you see more top corners shots by him towards the end. A sign he still improves as a sniper.

Reactions: jaffy27

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
How much Q are you really following?
You are talking about the League that won the 2018 and 2019 Memorial Cups.....and they faced the best of these defensive "juggernauts"....
This is a general statement I read way too often in order to discredit the Q.
This year, the Dmen and goalies where weaker then usually, that being said Roy would have produced even in the OHL

Jul 6, 2016
I have watched many Phoenix games this season and my observation is that Roy has benefitted a lot from Parent carrying the puck and establishing puck control in the offensive zone, especially on the Powerplay. This is what I'd like to see from him more next season. Carry the puck, enter the O zone in control of the puck, establish the cycle game down low, move his feet.

Roy has had a tremendous season and is having terrific playoffs so far. He does need to prove that he can do more of the work leading to goals than he has this year though; become more of a play driver, in my very personal opinion. Obviously, Roy is a skilled player, but I find his points to come a lot from the same areas/same plays. It's one thing to do it when you're Ovechkin or Stamkos, it's another when you don't have that pedigree.

I can't speak for all the guys that you have mentioned. But MacKinnon was an absolute force out there when he had the puck. He skated with authority in possession of the puck and drove the play like few other junior players. This is essentially what I'm finding Roy is lacking and this is also what Parent is providing. Joshua Roy is a very good prospect that still needs another year in juniors. Let him take that locker room; be that undisputed leader; learn to drive the play night in, night out. 1 more year will do him wonders. Then he can join Laval for a year or 2; then I could see him becoming ready for the NHL.
Roy is a winger and Parent is his centerman, Right ? That's the role of the centerman to do exactly what you wrote at the top of your post. Roy is doing his job as a winger quite well already. Could be awesome to see a Wright-Roy combo in a not so far future. And even as a winger, Roy is piling up passes.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
The idea of having Wright, Suzuki, Caufield and Roy on a power play is sexy AF. All four guys can snipe and playmake. Just need a LHD who can bring both those elements as well and we might actually have something.

Reactions: Redux91

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Roy is a winger and Parent is his centerman, Right ? That's the role of the centerman to do exactly what you wrote at the top of your post. Roy is doing his job as a winger quite well already. Could be awesome to see a Wright-Roy combo in a not so far future. And even as a winger, Roy is piling up passes.
We could see a glimpse of a Wright- Roy combo, at the incoming WJC, i would love to see them play together.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
So now we just need a big skilled winger left winger to Olay with Suzuki and CC assuming Roy becomes a top six forward the way he looks like he will.

LW - Suzuki - CC
Roy - Wright - Anderson

Solid top 6 assuming that LW is a good player, maybe Dubois comes home as a UFA or forces a trade. One can dream.

Reactions: Redux91

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
So now we just need a big skilled winger left winger to Olay with Suzuki and CC assuming Roy becomes a top six forward the way he looks like he will.

LW - Suzuki - CC
Roy - Wright - Anderson

Solid top 6 assuming that LW is a good player, maybe Dubois comes home as a UFA or forces a trade. One can dream.
Trending well but some of those players may never reach, Even in your example your three years away from that being a great combo and by that time Anderson will be 31 and may be beginning his decline

Reactions: xX SEYF Xx

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Trending well but some of those players may never reach, Even in your example your three years away from that being a great combo and by that time Anderson will be 31 and may be beginning his decline
There's no big winger we could draft with the Calgary first round pick ?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I mean except Roy who I would be surprise if he doesn't play, Wright/Suzuki/Caufield are all sure shot. The question with them, is how good they will be.

Kyosuke

Sep 28, 2017

LW - Suzuki - CC
Roy - Wright - Anderson

Filip Forsberg is available this summer 🤫

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
This guy is a better prospect than Shane Wright.
I am as high on Roy as anyone (I have him as the #1 prospect ahead of Guhle) but Shane Wright has a much higher floor. Ceiling is closer but slight advantage to Wright there as well.

Obviously rankings can change but as of right now, Wright instantly becomes prospect #1 when/if drafted by MTL.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
All goals by Roy this season. Watching it you see more top corners shots by him towards the end. A sign he still improves as a sniper.

It's strange how none of those are impressive. Like there's nothing spectacular or creative, he's not particularly quick either. At least with CC you could see he had a scary dynamic shot. But somehow when Jonathan shoots, it ends up in the net anyway. All of it seem easy. Time will tell if he ends up in the NHL.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
It's strange how none of those are impressive. Like there's nothing spectacular or creative, he's not particularly quick either. At least with CC you could see he had a scary dynamic shot. But somehow when Jonathan shoots, it ends up in the net anyway. All of it seem easy. Time will tell if he ends up in the NHL.
Yeah the big thing about Roy highlights is how bad and inadequate his opponents are… he won’t have this space, this position, or this amount of time in a pro league. It’s hard to peg how well he will convert.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yeah the big thing about Roy highlights is how bad and inadequate his opponents are… he won’t have this space, this position, or this amount of time in a pro league. It’s hard to peg how well he will convert.

Yea they all seem so bad from the goalies to the Ds more than he looks great. It's hard to explain. Has the Q become so abysmal?

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
The Q does look worse than usual this season.

I think there’s a lot of deception in his release. But I dont think his shot is a 40 goal scorer’s shot.

His offensive IQ and general playmaking ability leads me to believe he has potential to become a top 6 player in the NHL. We saw it in training camp as well, he easily finds soft spots in the offensive end.

Last edited:

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
We all see the good stuff (some really good stuff) in these videos, but he really needs to work on his speed.
That said, Caufiled was nowhere this fast like he is now when he first joined Habs, so I'm sure MSL will fix that with Roy too.
If he adds speed he'll be a great winger in NHL.

Reactions: jaffy27

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
We all see the good stuff (some really good stuff) in these videos, but he really needs to work on his speed.
That said, Caufiled was nowhere this fast like he is now when he first joined Habs, so I'm sure MSL will fix that with Roy too.

I think it's more explosiveness than speed, but yes, it would help his game a lot.

Reactions: montreal

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
MSL had nothing to do with Caufield's improved speed.

He put in the work between his D+1 and D+2 season at Wisconsin that lead to a Hobey Baker and his initial success in Montreal.

Do you actually believe a head coach can come in and instantly improve a player's skating....????

Roy is not nearly as quick as Caufield was even before his improvement so there is considerable work to be done on that front this summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad