Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Am I the only one who thinks he just threw a pass to the middle and got lucky? I'd like to see another angle but that's what it looks like to me. Not dissing on him as a prospect, just not sure that pass was all that
I think you're the only one.....of course there's an element of luck where nobody touched it but no doubt in my mind, the top scorer in the Q this year meant to make this pass to his teammate that snuck in from the blue line

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Lefevbre killed Leblanc. Therrien was just the chaser. We had terrible coaching at both levels.
Similar attitudes, I think. Meh players who became coaches and resented top prospects.

Part of it is development philosophy. There can be some value in trying to teach all players to play some defence, you just have to know to make an exception for Lafleur.

The best players work on their weaknesses until they become strengths, but not everyone can do that. Roy will need to work on strength and skating. If he can improve his 200 foot game so much the better, but they had better not play him on the third line in the AHL.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I recall this. Almost everyone was unanimously happy with the Leblanc selection.

You’re definitely right in saying there’s alot of hindsight bias in this thread regarding him, at the time he was seen as having 2C upside but was a near lock to be a good 2-way 3C as a floor. He did look to be trending in that direction before the regime change..
He was a reasonably effective defensive C in the NHL at 20. There may have been better players available with hindsight but it took a perfect storm of bad development to bust Leblanc. Unbelievable incompetence.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Am I the only one who thinks he just threw a pass to the middle and got lucky? I'd like to see another angle but that's what it looks like to me. Not dissing on him as a prospect, just not sure that pass was all that

Look at the play. Why in the world would Spacek drive the net if he's not expecting a pass? And if he is, it's either because he called it which we don't hear, or he knows that Roy somehow saw him, or that it's a play they do sometimes when both are on the ice.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Look at the play. Why in the world would Spacek drive the net if he's not expecting a pass? And if he is, it's either because he called it which we don't hear, or he knows that Roy somehow saw him, or that it's a play they do sometimes when both are on the ice.
Yup, we see Roy probably seeing the player drive to the net from his peripheral vision on the left and then turns his head away as he makes that pass

Reactions: dralaf and jaffy27

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don’t know if he was just putting it in front of the net or it was planned or what, but that pass was insane. A lot like Kucherov’s the other night where he feathered it through traffic for a onetimer.

When you’re hot you’re hot. It’s amazing how good players always seem to get “lucky”.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Why do you think Spacek is moving up in the slot if he does not expect a pass from Roy?

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Draft year is similar for points, but Roy is seven months younger and was much better in midget AAA, and in draft +1. We all know the story with Roy, problems adapting in Saint-Johns, poor physical condition at 16 and most of his draft year at 17. But the talent was always there and the hockey guys with Sherbrooke saw it much better than the whole NHL, including Boisvert, Audette and Timmins. The gave away three first round picks and a second round pick to acquire Roy. You don't give that much for a true end of the fifth round pick. They saw an elite player they would be able to train properly and they were totally right, the whole NHL was totally wrong, and with luck, picking six players ahead of him, the Habs were lucky enough to get him late in the draft as one of their francophone picks to shut up journalists. That's the story.

How did Olivier Archambault compare to Roy in his draft year? There's comparables there no?

Reactions: Fenris

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Nonsense. He was projected to be a solid NHLer. That is not a “fringe” prospect. He went right where he was projected to go. This wasn’t a reach.
Doesn’t matter if he was a reach or not. That has nothing to do with a prospects upside. He had none, there many prospects drafted exactly where they were projected to go who don’t amount to quality NHLers. Leblanc is 1 of thousands. A fringe prospect who looked ok on a basement dweller, yippee.

I recall this. Almost everyone was unanimously happy with the Leblanc selection.

You’re definitely right in saying there’s alot of hindsight bias in this thread regarding him, at the time he was seen as having 2C upside but was a near lock to be a good 2-way 3C as a floor. He did look to be trending in that direction before the regime change..
2C upside, lol, kid has no elite skills. Zero, this isn’t hindsight, it’s a fact.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Why do you think Spacek is moving up in the slot if he does not expect a pass from Roy?
He's moving to the slot because it's the right place to go. Maybe it was a set play but I'm still not convinced he wasn't just throwing it in front

Driving to the net becuase it's the right place to go, especially when no teammate there. Maybe I'm wrong but I'm not convinced

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Doesn’t matter if he was a reach or not. That has nothing to do with a prospects upside. He had none, there many prospects drafted exactly where they were projected to go who don’t amount to quality NHLers. Leblanc is 1 of thousands. A fringe prospect who looked ok on a basement dweller, yippee.

2C upside, lol, kid has no elite skills. Zero, this isn’t hindsight, it’s a fact.
I’m leaving this as is. If you wish, you can continue this in the Timmins thread. We’ll leave this for the Roy discussion.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
There is definitely a significant element of luck but great playmakers have elevated spacial awareness and can visualize the ice and where teammates/opponents are without having to look. Before turning his back he knew where the lane was and knew that he would have a backdoor, weakside cutter. Roy also knew that defenders around the lane that he passed through would not be expecting the pass, especially such a hard pass. The execution certainly required some luck but it wasn't as blind as it looked to be. It was risky and I am not sure that he will be encouraged to do this in the NHL as that could have potentially created an odd man rush the other way.
Yeah you can see him shoulder check to see his teammate’s lane. Excellent anticipation by Roy to estimate his teammates pace and put the puck on the tape

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
This kid is improving. I know Baie-Comeau is not a strong team, but Roy was the guy to stop for them and nonetheless he got three points per game and eliminated them tonight. Roy is the difference maker for Sherbrooke. The kid is a top prospect, some will need to come to terms with this idea. Forget that he was picked #150 overall. This was an aberration.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
nearly 3ppg in the first playoff series (4GP)

okay sir
He had 12 pts in 4 games, his ppg is exactly 3.00.

Trivia time: the record in points per games in the Q playoffs (players with at least 30 points) is Guy Lafleur with 2.966. That's entire playoffs. For a single playoffs year, it's Mario Lemieux at 3.744 with 14 games played (done his draft year).

Last edited:

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
He had 12 pts in 4 games, his ppg is exactly 3.00.

Trivia time: the record in points per games in the Q playoffs (players with at least 30 points) is Guy Lafleur with 2.966.
We’re quite fortunate he’ll stay under the radar this summer with the 1st overall

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad