Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I see him more as a Bergeron/Danault type of player. Guys who doesn't look that good but with above average IQ. I think he'll land somewhere in between Danault and Bergeron offensively and defensively hard to say at this point. His IQ is definitely above average imo. Toffoli would be a good comparable too.
David Perron is also a good comparison too imo in his style of play. Perron always said thats his speed isnt is strenght but he is so good in offensive zone. 1061 games, 725 pts in his career could be awesome for Roy

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not trading Monahan and Pearson if they are healthy at the deadline and keep producing would be stupid imo. If we need vets next year we can always Blackhawks us next summer. Finding good vets at the end of their career to surround your kids is not hard. We still need to add it should be clear and keeping Pearson and Monahan considering their age and value if they are healthy at the deadline would not be the move imo.
If Monahan were 34 or even 32, you think hard before re-signing him.

However, he is only 29, and if he were willing to re-sign fvor 2-3 years at a nice affordable cap hit (say what Dvorak makes now) to be a top 6 player for us (even if used on the "third" line), and did so before the TDL, I'd have no issue moving forward with him. He diversifies our offence and is a really productive player who seems to love playing here. Of course I don't want him walking for nothing.

David Perron is also a good comparison too imo in his style of play. Perron always said thats his speed isnt is strenght but he is so good in offensive zone. 1061 games, 725 pts in his career could be awesome for Roy
I think Roy may have a greater willingness to defend. I doubt he would bounce around as much as Perron has.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Not trading Monahan and Pearson if they are healthy at the deadline and keep producing would be stupid imo. If we need vets next year we can always Blackhawks us next summer. Finding good vets at the end of their career to surround your kids is not hard. We still need to add it should be clear and keeping Pearson and Monahan considering their age and value if they are healthy at the deadline would not be the move imo.
I certainly wouldn't hold onto Pearson at the deadline if we can move him for just about anything.He's actually quite useful for now, but, by the deadline, he'll have served his purpose, as a veteran and as a leader, IMO.

Monahan, to me is an entirely different story. Obviously, you trade Monahan if it becomes a Nieuwendyk VS Iginla situation where a contender wants Monahan now to hopefully help win the Cup rather than wait for a bluechip youngster codevelops a window closes with other key veterans on the roster.

However, despite the Montreal fan's blind love of late 1st round picks (presumably paid by legitimate contenders who would seek to acquire Monahan), holding onto Monahan -- especially if he is still healthy at the deadline -- might bring better benefits than shooting another dart at the draft board?

Montreal can extend Monahan at any time this season and, of course, such an extension would need to be beneficial the greater scheme of things and the overall Cap situation going forward (no more than three years and no more than a 4.5M AAV). How about 6.5M, 4M, 3M for a 4.5M AAV?

Monahan seems lot ove Montreal and the room seems to respect and look up to Monahan (older players and younger players alike). Yet Monahan isn't one outhouse generic veteran leaders everyone claims is so easy to find to surround younger players as mentors. He's not some generic veteran you pickup an old folks' home filled with hockey players looking at an expiring career where their skills are clearly waning.

Monahan, as a veteran, is still as skilled, or better than the prospects he would be mentoring in the early stages other career. Monahan is complete player who can play as well defensively as offensively, is huge in the dot, and can play the system/concept unselfishly.

Helping youngsters reach or surpass their projected ceilings soften overlooked by fans who assume that the scouting report's projected ceiling is just a question of making the NHL. Three more years of a healthy Monahan, while it wouldn't coincide with the team's playoff pushes as of 2027-2028, when most current youngsters have reached maturity and others, who joined after, are on the verge offing as much, could well have provided a Slafkovsky,a Suzuki, a Caufield, a Newhook and a Roy who surpassed expectations because they were properly surrounded during their continued development at the NHL level?

The NHL isn't playing hockey on Playstation or projecting strictly based on scouting reports. Keeping Monahan may be moreimgportant than acquiring another late 1st round pick if the contract's conditions are good for the team. At the very least, it should be considered.

Reactions: Sorinth

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022

However, he is only 29, and if he were willing to re-sign fvor 2-3 years at a nice affordable cap hit (say what Dvorak makes now) to be a top 6 player for us (even if used on the "third" line), and did so before the TDL, I'd have no issue moving forward with him. He diversifies our offence and is a really productive player who seems to love playing here. Of course I don't want him walking for nothing.

I think Roy may have a greater willingness to defend. I doubt he would bounce around as much as Perron has.
I'd absolutely resign Monahan but theres a couple issues. He's going to want job security which means 5 or 6 years and he's going to want a shot at the cup. I think it's unlikely that he stays.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
What kind of role and minutes is Roy getting in Laval? Is he starting in all three zones, playing in all situations, etc?
Roy gets 20 minutes a game in Laval.

If Roy continues after 25 games and Slaf continues his meh play after 25 games send slaf down and bring Roy up.
Disagree. Play Slaf with Roy alongside Newhook and move Monahan to the Suzuki line, By then, Dvorak should be back to center RHP and Anderson. Pearson andGallagher can play with Evans, with Ylonen subbing in for both veterans.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
I'd absolutely resign Monahan but theres a couple issues. He's going to want job security which means 5 or 6 years and he's going to want a shot at the cup. I think it's unlikely that he stays.
Monahan will never get 5 or 6 years, given his injury history. He may want 4 years, but 2 to 3 years is more realistic, only with more money than this year, this time...

I'd consider three years, with a possibility of extending if he holds up to the wear and tear.

At 33, for another two years (33 and 34), Monahan could still be an extremely important complement on a 3rd line (C or wing) that can take important F/Os as a beast in that role.

That way, he could be, by then, on a team that has a chance at a long playoff push.

As I said in another post, if Montreal can land a bluechip forward prospect for Monahan from a contender, you make the trade, or if it's a late first rounder and an A level prospect, but, if the late first round pick amounts to what you get for Monahan, and he's healthy, I'd consider extending him instead. We are no longer in the first stage of the rebuild where moving Toffoli for a pick and a prospect was the thing to do, rather than keep him to help mentor the kids.

Skilled depth in the lineup, including skilled veteran depth is important to help some younger players take the next step and even younger players continue to progress once at the NHL level.

I'm not saying to acquire a bunch of veterans to steal time away from younger players. I'm saying to keep a known value that can accompany them in their development while adding skill to play with, not just a rah-rah veteran who talks about doing what he used to do rather than what he is still capable of doing.

Teaching theory is one thing, but showing it on the ice rings louder!

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't think he gets 5-6 years on the market yet.

But of course, us resigning him is dependent on him willing to prioritize Montreal. If he does not re-sign by the TDL, we have to move him . We have no need for an internal rental.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
He will 100% be looking for security if he stays healthy all season long. I'd say at least 4 years.
I prefer a maximum offer of three years with an AAV of no more than 4.5M, but I'd accept four years if the AAV drops and the contract is front loaded to the maximum.

In years three and four, a relatively healthy Monahan could still be moved under the conditions where the AAV was closer to 4M, but the real saalary remaining was closer to 3M. 6M, 4M, 3M, 3M. 1.33M buyout, at worst, for the final two years of the contract, either for four years, or two, depending on the term remaining at the time the buyout..

If Roy continues after 25 games and Slaf continues his meh play after 25 games send slaf down and bring Roy up.
Disagree. Play Slaf with Roy alongside Newhook and move Monahan to the Suzuki line, By then, Dvorak should be back to center RHP and Anderson. Pearson and Gallagher can play with Evans, with Ylonen subbing in for both veterans.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Disagree. Play Slaf with Roy alongside Newhook and move Monahan to the Suzuki line, By then, Dvorak should be back to center RHP and Anderson. Pearson andGallagher can play with Evans, with Ylonen subbing in for both veterans.
Monahan contributes way more than Dvorak as a play driving 2nd or 3rd C, whereas he may only add a little more than Dvorak can as a complementary winger to Suzuki-Caufield.

So overall, if Roy were brought up, I think we are more productive with
Dvo-Suzy-Cole
Slaf-Monahan-Roy
RHP/Pearson-Newhook-Anderson
Pearson/RHP-Evans-Ylonen/Gallagher

Reactions: Habs4Life

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL

If we’re not cup contenders in the next 5 years, I’m not sure what we’re doing anymore. I would definitely resign Monahan if he remains healthy. He’s shown he can be a number one center when healthy. We cannot afford to let go of these kinds of players for a continuous and never ending rebuild in which we cannot fathom competing for the cup in 5 years.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019

Absolutely right on Monahan. If he doesn’t get injured until March and is playing like he is now, signing him if he wants to is a great option.

Let’s keep in mind though that he might have been promised by Hughes he’d be traded to a contender at the TDL if it were an option and Habs aren’t in a PO spot.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If we’re not cup contenders in the next 5 years, I’m not sure what we’re doing anymore. I would definitely resign Monahan if he remains healthy. He’s shown he can be a number one center when healthy. We cannot afford to let go of these kinds of players for a continuous and never ending rebuild in which we cannot fathom competing for the cup in 5 years.
For me it's so crazy some of our fans are talking about perpetual rebuild. We have been rebuilding for a year and about half for god sake. It has barely started. It started at the deadline 2022.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
For me it's so crazy some of our fans are talking about perpetual rebuild. We have been rebuilding for a year and about half for god sake. It has barely started. It started at the deadline 2022.
Basically yes, other than the 2018 trade for Suzuki. The Caufield and Guhle draft picks were normal one-per-year picks and not rebuilding moves per se.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I agree that he as probably been our best player but not sure we can sign him for longer (3-5 years) term contract. Even if he is healthy that can change any second, when you are contender those are the type of player that are easier to sign or get via trade. Considering the value he could bring at the TDL and technically you could still sign him as a UFA…

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I agree that he as probably been our best player but not sure we can sign him for longer (3-5 years) term contract. Even if he is healthy that can change any second, when you are contender those are the type of player that are easier to sign or get via trade. Considering the value he could bring at the TDL and technically you could still sign him as a UFA…
Three years would be my max, unless the AAV is very low.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

The problem is, we should have been rebuilding when MB was doing patch work. So basically, while it's annoying we've been a bad team for a while, the tear down and rebuild only started with Hughes and Gorton.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Basically yes, other than the 2018 trade for Suzuki. The Caufield and Guhle draft picks were normal one-per-year picks and not rebuilding moves per se.
Exactly. Had we kept Sergachev and JK and sold at the deadline 2020 before COVID when we were 24th in the standings then yeah i'd agree about the argument we have been rebuilding for a while but we did not. I mean we drafted 15th in 2019, 16th in 2020 and 31st in 2021. We did not sell at the deadline 2020 and deadline 2021. We really have been rebuilding since the deadline 2022 only. Anyone expecting a rebuild to bear any fruits before 3 years is totally delusional.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The problem is, we should have been rebuilding when MB was doing patch work. So basically, while it's annoying we've been a bad team for a while, the tear down and rebuild only started with Hughes and Gorton.
Yes i agree. We should have kept Sergachev. We should have handled JK better to keep him happy. We should have totally 120% sold at the deadline 2020 when we were 24th in the standings. Subban should have been trade for picks and young players like Patch. But it did not happen. We traded Subban for Weber and we kept trying to win. The 3rd overall pick in 2018 was an "accident" we were still 120% trying to win with vets like Karl Alzner, Jordie Benn and David Schlemko.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Ya but is Monahan worth it when he's 33? 34? If that's when we're contenders I mean. I'm not even sure we'll actually be contenders with this group to be perfectly honest. Unless we get a true superstar or 2 (in any position)

Yes i agree. We should have kept Sergachev. We should have handled JK better to keep him happy. We should have totally 120% sold at the deadline 2020 when we were 24th in the standings. Subban should have been trade for picks and young players like Patch. But it did not happen. We traded Subban for Weber and we kept trying to win. The 3rd overall pick in 2018 was an "accident" we were still 120% trying to win with vets like Karl Alzner, Jordie Benn and David Schlemko.
And that's what the "just make the playoffs " attitude resulted in. I can't believe MB still has a job in this league. He screwed this franchise over.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Lord I hope not, butter soft, no wonder he bounced all over.

Ad

Ad

Ad