Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't think he gets 5-6 years on the market yet.

But of course, us resigning him is dependent on him willing to prioritize Montreal. If he does not re-sign by the TDL, we have to move him . We have no need for an internal rental.

Agreed. If he has a good season, Maybe he gets several 3 or 4 year offers. I think he stayed in Montreal because he's familiar and it's a good chance for him to play in a high usage role... so he can show that he has rebounded to his mid 20's value.

Habs could be the team to extend him for 3 or 4 years as long as the AAV is manageable. If we feel he can stay healthy, it might be a contract we can move for even more value when he's in his early 30's ish.

What is our center depth if Dvorak is traded as some point? Lots of fans want to push Beck up fast but it's probable that the AHL for a season or two is best. We might need Monahan around for center depth as a bridge to Beck and others.

Yes i agree. We should have kept Sergachev. We should have handled JK better to keep him happy. We should have totally 120% sold at the deadline 2020 when we were 24th in the standings. Subban should have been trade for picks and young players like Patch. But it did not happen. We traded Subban for Weber and we kept trying to win. The 3rd overall pick in 2018 was an "accident" we were still 120% trying to win with vets like Karl Alzner, Jordie Benn and David Schlemko.

Problem with the Subban situation was the looming NMC. Deals fell through with the Oilers and Canucks (youth/futures return) and time ran out.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
David Perron is also a good comparison too imo in his style of play. Perron always said thats his speed isnt is strenght but he is so good in offensive zone. 1061 games, 725 pts in his career could be awesome for Roy
Always loved Perron for some reason. You're right he's always been a good offensive zone player, good on the pp, always a threat on the half boards. He's really good a shielding and protecting the puck too.

Reactions: Hins77

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For me it's so crazy some of our fans are talking about perpetual rebuild. We have been rebuilding for a year and about half for god sake. It has barely started. It started at the deadline 2022.

The accelerated rebuild started with Gorton/Hughes yes but some of the rebuild started years before that. Look at our draft history... draft power started to accumulate well before 2022 and we have lots of our core young pieces that come before 2022. Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Xhekaj, Roy, etc.

I don't agree entirely that our rebuild only started at the deadline of 2022. What I agree with is Gorton/Hughes are rebuilding properly or have better long term vision.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Agreed. If he has a good season, Maybe he gets several 3 or 4 year offers. I think he stayed in Montreal because he's familiar and it's a good chance for him to play in a high usage role... so he can show that he has rebounded to his mid 20's value.
I'm not so sure about the reason he stayed in Montreal. It might very well be that he was not sure about the offers he would get after being injured a 3rd year in a row so maybe he just preferred to not take any chances and risking ending up in Europe or in Arizona or on a bottom 6 line of a middling team.

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
Always loved Perron for some reason. You're right he's always been a good offensive zone player, good on the pp, always a threat on the half boards. He's really good a shielding and protecting the puck too.
I give a Perron comparison has the floor for Roy, i think Roy will be more dominant than Perron, closer to a Kutcherov

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I give a Perron comparison has the floor for Roy, i think Roy will be more dominant than Perron, closer to a Kutcherov
smile-shee-it.gif

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I have Roy somewhere in the middle of Toffoli and Perry. Said it before and some nit picker posters said Perry is a bit much. Sure, but I said in the middle of Toffoli and Perry. Toffoli as the base and Perry as the ceiling... A fair gap there right? :sarcasm:

In terms of max ceiling level, I like using Perry more than Kucherov.

Roy's development resume is top notch. Bedard loved playing with him at the WJC's too. That's value to me.

Reactions: Matthew McConaughay

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I have Roy somewhere in the middle of Toffoli and Perry. Said it before and some nit picker posters said Perry is a bit much. Sure, but I said in the middle of Toffoli and Perry. Toffoli as the base and Perry as the ceiling... A fair gap there right? :sarcasm:

Roy's development resume is top notch. Bedard loved playing with him at the WJC's too. That's value to me.
Why Perry? I don't see many similarities.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013

I can see the Perry comparison, Perry is more like a better skilled Gallagher, he scores the dirty goals, and he likes to disturb the opponent, Roy is more a mastermind, he reads the game like very few can.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Why Perry? I don't see many similarities.

No two players are alike but these are the areas Roy can provide similar to Perry (if he reaches his ceiling).

Size (Perry is a bit bigger yes). Roy to me is not soft.
Goal scoring
Hockey IQ
Average at best skating level

I can see the Perry comparison, Perry is more like a better skilled Gallagher, he scores the dirty goals, and he likes to disturb the opponent, Roy is more a mastermind, he reads the game like very few can.

Some fans predicting Toffoli and Perron are too chicken to take a shot at someone better than them. Conservative prediction is safer I guess

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
No two players are alike but these are the areas Roy can provide similar to Perry (if he reaches his ceiling).

Size
Goal scoring
Hockey IQ
Average at best skating level
Man I don't see that at all. Perry is 6'3 right hand scrapper with skill who plays in the dirty areas. I see Roy more as a skillful playmaker on the perimeter. Maybe I'm wrong though as I admit I haven't seen him play all that much.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Man I don't see that at all. Perry is 6'3 right hand scrapper with skill who plays in the dirty areas. I see Roy more as a skillful playmaker on the perimeter. Maybe I'm wrong though as I admit I haven't seen him play all that much.

Who would you pick who is better than Toffoli and Perron? Find me someone that is a better comparison than Perry? Like I said, no two players are alike.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Last edited:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Who would you pick who is better than Toffoli and Perron? Find me someone that is a better comparison than Perry? Like I said, no two players are alike.
I don't know, I haven't watched him enough. But he does give me sort of Huberdeau light vibes. Maybe he won't churn out Huberdeau type numbers but will play a similar style. A good playmaking winger.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
He didn't playr of the week??? Probably because it's a Canadian Team.....

Also this is the story to follow for The Laval Rocket this year:

Top Montreal prospects Sean Farrell, Emil Heineman, Riley Kidney, Logan Mailloux and Mattias Norlinder are among the key pieces of the Canadiens’ future who will develop with the Laval Rocket.

Do they fkin know who Joshua Roy is? Bande d'imbécile!
They figure he is already called up, lol

Matthew McConaughay

May 3, 2013
He didn't playr of the week??? Probably because it's a Canadian Team.....

Also this is the story to follow for The Laval Rocket this year:

Top Montreal prospects Sean Farrell, Emil Heineman, Riley Kidney, Logan Mailloux and Mattias Norlinder are among the key pieces of the Canadiens’ future who will develop with the Laval Rocket.

Do they fkin know who Joshua Roy is? Bande d'imbécile!
Wow, he's got 5 points and Roy 11 points, who picks the star of the week lol.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I don't know, I haven't watched him enough. But he does give me sort of Huberdeau light vibes. Maybe he won't churn out Huberdeau type numbers but will play a similar style. A good playmaking winger.
Cross between Huberdeau and Toffoli, but Huberdeau is not very strong defensively. Toffoli is more aware.

Last edited:
Reactions: Adriatic

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Huberdeau to me is more of a play maker who has way more assists than goals. Roy to me is a goal scoring winger who moves to open space and works with his center well and compliments their game.

Not like Roy is not good at play making but I feel his goal scoring/hockey IQ are the strengths. I don't think Roy is going to be the play making winger Huberdeau was.

Perry is a better ceiling comparison vs Huberdeau IMO. Not trying to give you a hard time but finding a play making winger who will accumulate way more assists than goals is not a good fit for Roy.

Any others that comes to mind?

billy piton

Apr 5, 2010
Zagreb
Huberdeau to me is more of a play maker who has way more assists than goals. Roy to me is a goal scoring winger who moves to open space and works with his center well and compliments their game.

Not like Roy is not good at play making but I feel his goal scoring/hockey IQ are the strengths. I don't think Roy is going to be the play making winger Huberdeau was.

Perry is a better ceiling comparison vs Huberdeau IMO. Not trying to give you a hard time but finding a play making winger who will accumulate way more assists than goals is not a good fit for Roy.

Any others that comes to mind?
alfie?

Ad

Ad

Ad