Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
Perry is 6"4 tho lol
That may be generous but ya the Worm has a height adv. Seen the kid play 140 plus Jr games live so I'll admit a bias.
But he has done everything. Gs leader one year, MVP, every championship available.
So of Roy can bring 1/2 that we got a beaut. My origina post, I shoulda quoted the posters entire post admittedly but they implied Roy has higher upside. Good luck with that. Perry was a unicorn. If Roy does it, awesome for us Habs fans.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Roy's ability to produce offense has so far translated to the pro level better than I thought it would at first. and that bodes well for his future as a top-6 player in the NHL.

That said, I'll go a bit against the grain here and say that some on here are getting (over)excited prematurely on Joshua Roy after what has been a very strong start in the AHL.

Fact of the matter is that we're only 5 games into the AHL season and lots can change in the coming days/weeks/months. So I'd say that we should reserve judgment until we see more of Joshua Roy's play at the AHL level (at least another month or two) before we start drawing any conclusions, or asking for him to be called-back to the big club.

There will be growing pains, Roy will disappoint some games, things will equalize as they always do over a bigger sample-size. That's just the nature of the game, and progress as a young player.

What will be more telling than Roy's statline as a prospect and his offensive showing (but those are still awesome to see I admit) will be how he looks defensively and at 5-on-5 playing for Laval even when/if the scoring goes away for a while.

If Roy manages to show the same continued progression as he has through every season since his draft year not only offensively but in the fundamentals of Hockey too, THEN I'll get on the hype-train.

I say that but I just really hope the kid keeps up the good work and "forces my hand" on the whole bandwagon thing.

I think you are underestimating his defensive game as he is incredibly smart and positions himself well. Combine this with an exceptional defensive stick and the ability to steal pucks and his defensive game is not a pressing concern. Provided that the effort/discipline is consistently there which is a battle with almost every high scoring junior player who is trying to transition to the pro game he will be fine. He is great on the boards and at winning pick battles at both ends of the ice as well has having an extremely low panic threshold which allows him to make plays under duress.

I do agree that we should temper expectations a little as he still has to show that he can adapt to pro teams focusing more on him and game planning to stop him. It is premature for some to project him as a true 1st liner as more evidence is required. With that said there is every reason to be excited as he is clear as day a legitimate blue chip prospect who very reasonably projects to be at the very least a middle six forward with the potential for much more. I see Toffoli as a very reachable goal for Joshua with the potential for more.

The kid has taken a huge step forward every season since we drafted him with the first year being a huge increase in offensive production. His D+2 saw him focus on his 200 foot game where he turned it into a strength from being a liability without sacrificing offensive production. This season he has come in physically stronger and has built on his 200 foot game even further. He has also consistently improved his conditioning and even though his skating is still below average he has improved every season. Roy will never develop his skating enough to become a strength but it has improved enough to allow him to be effective at the NHL level and he may very well end up closer to an average skater if he continues to improve as people forget how young he is relative to his draft year. To say that the kid came into camp unafraid and brimming with confidence is an understatement and has not for a split second looked remotely surprised at his production. It is this confidence that is telling as he has the calmness and confidence that is common among top NHL scorers.

I see the potential for a Toffoli/Giroux hybrid as his ceiling which is something to be excited about. The notion that he needs to win us over before getting excited feels backwards to me. Habs fans should be excited and if he doesn't become a good NHLer they can then be disappointed but the evidence is clearly pointing towards a significant NHL career and to expect less is to be contrarian.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I made a list at least double that length although I don't think Kucherov belongs on it as he is a good skater with plus speed but doesn't use it that much as he prefers to slow the game down.

People are definitely sleeping on the Giroux comparison as there are a lot of similarities.

I don't like the Kucherov comparison as well. Giroux is a good one as well. Giroux was more like a center in his prime correct?

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I mean the Perry comparison is just very far off. Yes both are high IQ players but Perry created while imposing his will physically and rarely ever scored in the way Josh does and the majority of his playmaking came from moving the box with quick moves or physical edge, something that Roy does not do. Its a bad comparison overall. Especially when theres much closer ones available.

List your closer ones and put your money where your mouth is. And then I'll play your nit pick game on them so you understand your nit pick angle. What you are overlooking is there is no perfect comparison. Chill out with the "just far off" narrative. It holds zero value. Someone said Kucherov as well and did you see me go crazy on them? Get the point? I'm sure you do but now you have your foot dug in the sand.

Don't like Perry. Sure, but can you at least give your base and ceiling comparison on your own? Spend your engery on that instead? We are just talking and chit chatting bud. I'm very aware of the differences between Perry and Roy.

I know you are better than this.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
List your closer ones and put your money where your mouth is. And then I'll play your nit pick game on them so you understand your nit pick angle. What you are overlooking is there is no perfect comparison. Chill out with the "just far off" narrative. It holds zero value. Someone said Kucherov as well and did you see me go crazy on them? Get the point? I'm sure you do but now you have your foot dug in the sand.

Don't like Perry. Sure, but can you at least give your base and ceiling comparison on your own? Spend your engery on that instead? We are just talking and chit chatting bud. I'm very aware of the differences between Perry and Roy.

I know you are better than this.
Im the person at the origin of the Toffoli comparison, a few years ago. I think thats still the closest one. Although Josh is a better playmaker. Robertson is another one that works but I dont want people to think Josh is going to be a 100 pts player.

As for Kucherov, it would still be a lot closer than the Perry comp.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Im the person at the origin of the Toffoli comparison, a few years ago. I think thats still the closest one.

As for Kucherov, it would still be a lot closer than the Perry comp.

I like the Toffoli comparison as base. Are you going to use Kucherov as ceiling? Or someone else? You're still avoiding the question bud and focused on Perry. I don't agree Kucherov is "a lot closer" than Perry is. Sorry

Base Comparison: Toffoli.

Ceiling Comparison: Kucherov? :rolleyes:

Name us a new guy please?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like the Toffoli comparison as base. Are you going to use Kucherov as ceiling? Or someone else? You're still avoiding the question bud and focused on Perry.

Base Comparison: Toffoli.

Ceiling Comparison: Kucherov? :rolleyes:
Robertson is the ceiling but I dont think he gets there. 40-50 but not 50-50.

Toffoli isnt the base either, its more like high end but probable.

Reactions: Goldenhands

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Stylistically, he is much closer to Robertson than Perry, if we’re playing the “elite player comparable” game. Watch this video and tell me you don’t see a bit of Roy:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Robertson is the ceiling but I dont think he gets there. 40-50 but not 50-50.

Toffoli isnt the base either, its more like high end but probable.

Does he have Roberston's skating? Wouldn't that be a reach in the skating department? Which is one of the most important in terms of evaluating hockey players.

I am not sure if Toffoli is the ceiling. Possible but hope not. Toffoli is producing more lately than in his 20's and the Toffoli I'm comparing to was his prime years. Turns out his prime is extended into 30's. When I think about the Toffoli comparision, I am looking at his days with the Kings. With the Kings, he was a 0.58 pts/game 20-25 goal guy. From the Habs, Flames, and now the Devils, he's producing so much more. Is this the Toffoli version you are comparing too? Because there is really two different versions.

I would tend to agree if you are comparing to the later years with Toffoli only. There has to be someone else other than Kucherov, Perry, and Robertson if we are not using Toffoli right?

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Does he have Roberston's skating? Wouldn't that be a reach in the skating department? Which is one of the most important in terms of evaluating hockey players.

I am not sure if Toffoli is the ceiling. Possible but hope not. Toffoli is producing more lately than in his 20's and the Toffoli I'm comparing to was his prime years. Turns out his prime is extended into 30's. When I think about the Toffoli comparision, I am looking at his days with the Kings. With the Kings, he was a 0.58 pts/game 20-25 goal guy. From the Habs, Flames, and now the Devils, he's producing so much more. Is this the Toffoli version you are comparing too? Because there is really two different versions.
One of the biggest knocks on Robertson has always been a lack of elite skating. He’s just always in the right place, and has an elite release

Reactions: Shred and Redux91

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I would tend to agree if you are comparing to the later years with Toffoli only.
Robertsons a terrible skater.

Toffoli played on a notiriously defensive team, in a lower scoring era and on a second line. Its not different version, its different circumstances.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
One of the biggest knocks on Robertson has always been a lack of elite skating. He’s just always in the right place, and has an elite release

Awkward yes but effective. I've seen Robertson use his awkward skating to move around guys so what I'm wondering is can Roy do that? Maybe it's not a bad comparison after all.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Robertsons a terrible skater.

Toffoli played on a notiriously defensive team, in a lower scoring era and on a second line. Its not different version, its different circumstances.

I wouldn't say he is a "terrible" skater. That would be someone like Gallagher or Alzner. I would agree Robertson's skating is awkward but man... he's very effective regardless of how awkward it is.

Toffoli's maturity is also a factor with the Habs, Flames, and Devils. Not so sure that he could have done the same at a earlier age with the Kings playing more offensive. So I do wonder how good Roy is out of the gate vs how good he is over time (like Toffoli).

Roy is a better skater than Robertson theres no way around it.

Pre NHL yes. When I was talking about skating, I was more like talking about speed. Roy could have better edge work yes but are you saying his speed is also better than Robertson today?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wouldn't say he is a "terrible" skater. That would be someone like Gallagher or Alzner. I would agree Robertson's skating is awkward but man... he's very effective regardless of how awkward it is.

Toffoli's maturity is also a factor with the Habs, Flames, and Devils. Not so sure that he could have done the same at a earlier age with the Kings playing more offensive. So I do wonder how good Roy is out of the gate vs how good he is over time (like Toffoli).

Pre NHL yes. When I was talking about skating, I was more like talking about speed. Roy could have better edge work yes but are you saying his speed is also better than Robertson today?
Yes his speed is better.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I don't like the Kucherov comparison as well. Giroux is a good one as well. Giroux was more like a center in his prime correct?
Yes Giroux was a center which is partially why I later changed my comparison to a Giroux/Toffoli hybrid. Giroux was also a little more aggressive and I felt that combining his traits with Toffoli who really slows the game down was more accurate. Also, no two players are the same so when making comparative projections like this I prefer to use hybrids.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Smart player with vision ...
maMsXpx.gif

Last edited:

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
While I understand your point, I’ve watched him play though and the guys you listed are exceptions not the rule. He’s basically the only prospect at his level I have ever felt wouldn’t make it due to his skating. I’m not overly critical of prospects.
Yeah, but you could also let go of your initial stance after he has improved his defensive play and is performing at the AHL level, against adults, in a mored defensive league, like he was in Juniors.

I find that too many posters refuse to let their opinions evolve because they think it makes them appear to be weak. I'm not saying that this is tour case, but it's far too common.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad