Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Destopcorner

Apr 29, 2018
Huberdeau to me is more of a play maker who has way more assists than goals. Roy to me is a goal scoring winger who moves to open space and works with his center well and compliments their game.

Not like Roy is not good at play making but I feel his goal scoring/hockey IQ are the strengths. I don't think Roy is going to be the play making winger Huberdeau was.

Perry is a better ceiling comparison vs Huberdeau IMO. Not trying to give you a hard time but finding a play making winger who will accumulate way more assists than goals is not a good fit for Roy.

Any others that comes to mind?
Drop the Perry thing there is no fit. Bad ass 6f3, fights, hits, talk shit while playing near the net on PPs.

Roy is a league burner with his IQ and offensive instincts, always doing the right play protecting and stealing pucks with good positioning/technique to compensate Ok footspeed... and what an anticipation creating give and goes.

He's a more talented Mark Stone with less captain instinct.

Also i'm a big fan of the white stick. Saw him deceive passer thinking the lane is there and boom it's not.

Kid will be a beauty.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Produce in the NHL. I still don't know that his skating is good enough but I really want to be proven wrong.

If Toffoli, O'Reilly, Stone, Giroux, Pavelski, Boeser, Palmieri, Gallagher, Tavares, Dickinson, Benn, Couturier, Horvat, Ribeiro, Heatley, Ryan, Perry etc can thrive in the NHL with below average skating then so can Roy.

You should expect him to succeed and be surprised if he fails.

Last edited:

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
If Toffoli, O'Reilly, Stone, Giroux, Pavelski, Boeser, Palmieri, Gallagher, Tavares, Dickinson, Benn, Couturier, Horvat, Dickinson, Ribeiro, Heatley, Ryan, Perry etc can thrive in the NHL with below average skating then so can Roy.

You should expect him to succeed and be surprised if he fails.
While I understand your point, I’ve watched him play though and the guys you listed are exceptions not the rule. He’s basically the only prospect at his level I have ever felt wouldn’t make it due to his skating. I’m not overly critical of prospects.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
While I understand your point, I’ve watched him play though and the guys you listed are exceptions not the rule. He’s basically the only prospect at his level I have ever felt wouldn’t make it due to his skating. I’m not overly critical of prospects.

He definitely looks like he will join this group as his IQ is elite and his skill is high end. He is also very strong on his skates and has a great defensive stick. I am usually the first one to sh*t on prospects who don't have NHL translatable games despite gawdy offensive numbers at lower levels. Roy is not one of those players.

Consider that the only player that was better than him on TC at the WJC's was Bedard and consider the ease with which he has immediately transitioned to the pro game as Laval's best forward. He played a prominent role in consecutive WJC's and just watching the kid, everything he does screams NHL material. He has absolutely crushed expectations at every level from the moment that we drafted him. If he was drafted at 17 or 19 he would have been a first rounder all day and he has shown that he is exactly that tier of talent as he was considered when he was taken first OA in the Q draft. He had a hiccup in his development which we fortunately were able to take advantage of and to consider him any less than a blue chip prospect at this point in time is a mistake imo.

Outside of injuries he is a slam dunk as a middle six winger in the NHL but more likely a top six winger imo and I am very confident that I won't regret making such a bold statement. I think you are putting him the tier that Riley Kidney who is much more of a longshot belongs in.

Reactions: Rob Sense

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drop the Perry thing there is no fit. Bad ass 6f3, fights, hits, talk shit while playing near the net on PPs.

Roy is a league burner with his IQ and offensive instincts, always doing the right play protecting and stealing pucks with good positioning/technique to compensate Ok footspeed... and what an anticipation creating give and goes.

He's a more talented Mark Stone with less captain instinct.

Also i'm a big fan of the white stick. Saw him deceive passer thinking the lane is there and boom it's not.

Kid will be a beauty.

NO, not going to drop it. Starting a post like this you did is not a good way to start a conversation. You're trying to compare to Perry in every way. Not M Stone because he is less of a captain is basically saying not Perry because he is not a fighter. There is no perfect comparison bud

What we agree is he will be a top 6F. How good of a top 6F? Not sure

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
NO, not going to drop it. Starting a post like this you did is not a good way to start a conversation. You're trying to compare to Perry in every way. Not M Stone because he is less of a captain is basically saying not Perry because he is not a fighter. There is no perfect comparison bud

Exactly, the comparison is a lack of footspeed with an elite IQ and great puck skills.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Exactly, the comparison is a lack of footspeed with an elite IQ and great puck skills.

So far, the names out there are Toffoli, Perron, Perry, Kucherov, Huberdeau, Stone. I'm open to more in this "comparison" narrative. Usually, comparisons gets derailed with the nit picker gang. blah

I agree. Average skating with elite hockey IQ and he's got skill. I like his goal scoring power... kid just scores in every league he plays.

I also don't think he is on the soft side. Not gritty like Perry or Stone but he's no Drouin.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
One universal truth is that skilled players need to play with skilled players. If Roy keeps this up and comes to the show at some point this year, I want to see him paired with Suzuki and Caufield.

Into the future with Dach back from his injury, Roy with Suzuki/Dach and Caufield with Dach/Suzuki will be our pairings I hope. Mix in Slaf somewhere, as well as Newhook and we have the making of a decent top 6. Add a Celebrini/Demidov/Catton/Eiserman and we are starting to look really good.

Roy's development is absolutely huge at this point. If as stated above he ends up somewhere between a Toffoli and a Kucherov, that is huge.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Roy's ability to produce offense has so far translated to the pro level better than I thought it would at first. and that bodes well for his future as a top-6 player in the NHL.

That said, I'll go a bit against the grain here and say that some on here are getting (over)excited prematurely on Joshua Roy after what has been a very strong start in the AHL.

Fact of the matter is that we're only 5 games into the AHL season and lots can change in the coming days/weeks/months. So I'd say that we should reserve judgment until we see more of Joshua Roy's play at the AHL level (at least another month or two) before we start drawing any conclusions, or asking for him to be called-back to the big club.

There will be growing pains, Roy will disappoint some games, things will equalize as they always do over a bigger sample-size. That's just the nature of the game, and progress as a young player.

What will be more telling than Roy's statline as a prospect and his offensive showing (but those are still awesome to see I admit) will be how he looks defensively and at 5-on-5 playing for Laval even when/if the scoring goes away for a while.

If Roy manages to show the same continued progression as he has through every season since his draft year not only offensively but in the fundamentals of Hockey too, THEN I'll get on the hype-train.

I say that but I just really hope the kid keeps up the good work and "forces my hand" on the whole bandwagon thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

DinosaurBones

Sep 18, 2018
Produce in the NHL. I still don't know that his skating is good enough but I really want to be proven wrong.
His skating isnt something im worried about. I was in his draft year but he was taken in the 5th round, and it was too early to know how he would improve. His top end speed isnt an issue. His explosiveness is the primary issue, and he skates alittle more upright than he should which could make it easier to get knocked off the puck in the pros. But he thinks the game so well that he knows what he is doing before the puck comes to him, which allows him to slow the game down, which is one of the most underrated skills a player can have. This is why It doesnt bother me at this point in his development

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Damn thats a terrible post at this point in his career.

Maybe two years ago ... But now ? Jesus.

Reactions: Dutronc

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

I mean the Perry comparison is just very far off. Yes both are high IQ players but Perry created while imposing his will physically and rarely ever scored in the way Josh does and the majority of his playmaking came from moving the box with quick moves or physical edge, something that Roy does not do. Its a bad comparison overall. Especially when theres much closer ones available.

Reactions: Destopcorner

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
He’s improved his skating. He’ll make it. Still, this guy needs to take intense power skating on top of every other responsibilities he has in Laval until he gets to the NHL. He needs to take it to the next level. The rest of his game is already all there. His skating will determine how good he becomes in the NHL.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Once upon a time many said this Luc Robitaille character could score, but wouldn’t in the NHL, because he never would be able to get to the puck quick enough …

Reactions: Boris Le Tigre

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
So far, the names out there are Toffoli, Perron, Perry, Kucherov, Huberdeau, Stone. I'm open to more in this "comparison" narrative. Usually, comparisons gets derailed with the nit picker gang. blah

I agree. Average skating with elite hockey IQ and he's got skill. I like his goal scoring power... kid just scores in every league he plays.

I also don't think he is on the soft side. Not gritty like Perry or Stone but he's no Drouin.

I made a list at least double that length although I don't think Kucherov belongs on it as he is a good skater with plus speed but doesn't use it that much as he prefers to slow the game down.

People are definitely sleeping on the Giroux comparison as there are a lot of similarities.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

rve24

Oct 26, 2022
If Roy becomes a poor man's Perry he has done great.
"always doing the right play protecting and stealing pucks with good positioning/technique to compensate Ok footspeed... and what an anticipation creating give and goes."
Sounds alot like Perry for the poster I'm quoting that didnt see the comparison. lol.
Rooting for the kid but Perry was/is a special player. Who can/has played every role a F can. If Roy has half the career Perry has I'm ecstatic.
Perry has succeeded at every level, and done what few others could with adapting his game over 20years and always being a tough, hard ass to play against without fear. And doing it effectively. Beaut.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
If Roy becomes a poor man's Perry he has done great.
"always doing the right play protecting and stealing pucks with good positioning/technique to compensate Ok footspeed... and what an anticipation creating give and goes."
Sounds alot like Perry for the poster I'm quoting that didnt see the comparison. lol.
Rooting for the kid but Perry was/is a special player. Who can/has played every role a F can. If Roy has half the career Perry has I'm ecstatic.
Perry has succeeded at every level, and done what few others could with adapting his game over 20years and always being a tough, hard ass to play against without fear. And doing it effectively. Beaut.
Perry is 6"4 tho lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad