Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habaddict

Apr 12, 2009
toronto
Roy is legit. Probably best we let him dominate a few more weeks, but think he’ll be called up rather quickly.

He very well could be the guy who completes the Suzuki/Caufield line.
It would be ideal if Roy was the guy who fit in that slot.
Another good solution would be, if Slaf fit well. Best of
course would be, that they both developed well, and it
became a useful discussion.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
IQ. Thats it.

Also it doesnt hurt that he has elite level natural talent at pretty much everything but skating.

If you say so. I still cannot explain it. lol Was seeing his goals in the Q and still couldn't understand it.

Everything is probably in slow motion for him, he's extremely quick with his reflexes and his thinking, that's why he's so clutch and I think what makes him elite, and it should transfer to the NHL as well. I think he'll be a top 6 player for us.

Vibes of Luc Robitaille. Nobody could see how it would make him elite. But at the end of the day he was scoring goals and the others didn't.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I’ve been hyped on Roy for a while. He does so many things at a high level, but it really is his hockey IQ that sets him apart.

He’s going to be a good NHL player, full stop.

Let’s let him marinate in the AHL for atleast half the season, no need to rush him and put unnecessary pressure on him to come up and save the team or season.

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
If you say so. I still cannot explain it. lol Was seeing his goals in the Q and still couldn't understand it.

Vibes of Luc Robitaille. Nobody could see how it would make him elite. But at the end of the day he was scoring goals and the others didn't.
I find it’s a bit like Caufield with Roy, although they’re very different players, they are both very quick to find open spaces while not being burners on skate. The puck also seems to be glued to their sticks and magically find them around the ice at the right moment because they are so smart and have such great sense of timing.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
He didn't earn NHL time out of camp, but this is his first pro-season. Let him cook a bit more in the AHL. Maybe even as soon as 10GP will give a suitable sample size.
I would argue he did win a spot (was better than Gallagher Pearson Evans at least) but he would not have won a top 6 role so I agree he is better off in the AHL, as is the case with most prospect.

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
He didn't earn NHL time out of camp, but this is his first pro-season. Let him cook a bit more in the AHL. Maybe even as soon as 10GP will give a suitable sample size.

He was not given a proper opportunity. In preseason, he had 0 PP time and no NHL linemates.

Their mind was made up he was starting in the A. Fine by me but if he’s burning it, like you said 10 gp then call him up. We need a meritocratic culture

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Roy is destroying the "development" argument we can read so often here. This guy is a great talent since minor hockey, was first overall pick in the Q in 2019, Houle will not make or destroy him.

I agree not to call him up right now, because I believe in patience and in a step by step approach with young players, but many here want him to stay in Laval just because he was a 5th round pick and because they doubted him all the way up to what he is now.

Hey, compare Roy with Slaf, if AHL is good for Roy now, it should have been good for Slaf. Roy dominated the Q in his last two seasons, and he his on his way to dominate the AHL. That's the way it should be. Also, in the last two years I said many times here that he would improve on his weaknesses, and he did just that, but the elite talent was obvious all along, and remember that he just turned 20 last August.
The development issue is with the Habs prospects who do well in junior/NCAA/Europe. If Roy made Habs out of camp and just sucked/didn't produce, will you say he just didn't have it?

Reactions: viceroy

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Developers: We want to bring our prospects along slowly so that they have success along the way.

*prospect is brought up slowly, having great success along the way*

Anti-developers: See, told you development is fake.

I hope The Habs still see the long term best for this kid....He should stay and dominate for a while.

Definitely. It didn't hurt PK Subban to stay a full season in the AHL, and it won't hurt Joshua Roy.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Can we wait a few more games ? It's 4 games, four. "he's our best prospect" as seen in this thread. Yeah sure that's why he's in the AHL
Where a player is doesn't mean anything about his quality as a player, it's about where he is in his progression and learning.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007
Don't rush the guy leave him in the ahl especially if your gonna bring him up to be on the 3rd or 4rth line he needs tons of ice time.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Like I have previously said, this guy gets it. He is in the right places on the ice. He sees the play at a high level. Head up. He will eventually have success at the NHL level.

Keep him in the AHL and call him up for games here and there so he can visualize what he needs to work on. Even a couple of games spread out at the NHL level can help him tremendously.

I still feel the majority of the games this year should be in the AHL with heavy usage and less pressure.
This right there. Head. Up. He actually watches the play. A major factor with talent, they look at the play unfold.

Reactions: danisonfire

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I don't want to be disrespectful, but when's the last time you heard an NHL draftee's junior coach go out and say "this guy's a knucklehead and won't amount to shit?". What do junior coaches that never touched the NHL know about the NHL anyway?
I mean, they don't "say it".... but they trade their ass fairly quick :laugh: IE, Roy in 2020 from Saint John. Then they make sure to whisper into scouts and pundits that he just didn't have the necessary ethic and commitment..

We're all idiots. Should be pretty evident to anyone that's spent more than 5 minutes here. Or just in society, overall.
Guilty as charged :laugh:. At least we're pretty nice, overall. And fun to be around in the GDTs

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
HuGo needs to leave this kid in Laval all year. Don't disrupt the development of a player who has at least 3rd line potential. Maybe he can become a good 2nd liner. We'll see. Hopefully he continues to build his game and adapt to pro

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
HuGo needs to leave this kid in Laval all year. Don't disrupt the development of a player who has at least 3rd line potential. Maybe he can become a good 2nd liner. We'll see. Hopefully he continues to build his game and adapt to pro
Absolutely he should stay down there. He should also be playing with Slaf and let those two build chemistry for the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: zx81

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad