Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
You totally missed my point. Obviously those people won't say being a 5th round pick is the reason.

Also, Galchenyuk was not a bust in his first few years and his coaches were not the problem why he faltered after his first few promising years. The problem was outside the arena.

KK is not a bust either due to coaches. He was promoted to early and that made him a little diva, plus add the stupid Aho hostile offer that led to the Carolina offer. The problem was the same that plagued the Habs since 1993, no patience with young players and taking shortcuts trading good draft picks.

As for Slaf, the new management did not do him any favor last year by keeping him while he was clearly not ready. Dominating the OHL would have been so much better for him.

"...but many here want him to stay in Laval just because he was a 5th round pick..."

That's unfounded take, IMO.Haven't heard anyone use the 5th rounder argument to keep him in Laval.

I think a lot of fans have been snake-bitten by the development of Galchenyuk (3rd OA), KK (3rd OA) and Slafkovsky as well (1stOA), last season where he might have done better with a stint in Laval. The early stay in Montreal has been a common factor for allegedly good talents who either clearly flopped, in the end, or took/are taking a long while to hit their next gear.

I say, let the player dominate until there is clearly nothing else to learn before moving him to the next level.

4 games are too few games to make a concerted opinion. If, by X-Mas, Roy is still dominating, by all means, please call him up. With the amount of confidence he'll have gained, he should be gangbusters once in Montreal under MSL.

Wait. As soon as Roy will have a few games without a point you will see them back at it.

Where are the legions who thought Farrell was better than Roy?

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
"...but many here want him to stay in Laval just because he was a 5th round pick..."

That's unfounded take, IMO.Haven't heard anyone use the 5th rounder argument to keep him in Laval.

It may very well be true that nobody has made that exact claim but it is certainly true that if we picked him in the first round the posters who are clamoring for him to stay in Laval all year would be up in arms because he was even sent to Laval in the first place. You'll notice if you really pay attention that a very small percentage of the population is able to focus on objective facts without allowing subjective narrative to mold their own beliefs. This is especially true in tribal forums such as sports where narrative, bias and archetypal truisms reign supreme.

Reactions: Runner77 and 1909

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
many here want him to stay in Laval just because he was a 5th round pick

Absolutely not. We want him in Laval to learn lessons about the pro game, dominate against men, and get to Montreal when he's really ready. Montreal is a shitshow anyways.

Exactly the same reason tons of people here want Slaf in the AHL, me included. Not because we're haters, but because they're young and have stuff to learn! Life is hard, NHL hockey is hard, not point in rushing kids to the mess that the Habs are.

I say, let the player dominate until there is clearly nothing else to learn before moving him to the next level.

4 games are too few games to make a concerted opinion. If, by X-Mas, Roy is still dominating, by all means, please call him up. With the amount of confidence he'll have gained, he should be gangbusters once in Montreal under MSL.
Exactly.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Roy is destroying the "development" argument we can read so often here. This guy is a great talent since minor hockey, was first overall pick in the Q in 2019, Houle will not make or destroy him.

I agree not to call him up right now, because I believe in patience and in a step by step approach with young players, but many here want him to stay in Laval just because he was a 5th round pick and because they doubted him all the way up to what he is now.

Hey, compare Roy with Slaf, if AHL is good for Roy now, it should have been good for Slaf. Roy dominated the Q in his last two seasons, and he his on his way to dominate the AHL. That's the way it should be. Also, in the last two years I said many times here that he would improve on his weaknesses, and he did just that, but the elite talent was obvious all along, and remember that he just turned 20 last August.

Slow clap!!!

Well said.

Reactions: Runner77

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Former Roy's coach in Sherbrooke Stephane Julien gave an interview to Martin Lemay on Bpm Sports this week and he said:

That ....Roy has already a better hockey IQ than more than 80% NHL players.

Julien helped Roy a lot after his trade from St John to Sherbrooke.
I don't want to be disrespectful, but when's the last time you heard an NHL draftee's junior coach go out and say "this guy's a knucklehead and won't amount to shit?". What do junior coaches that never touched the NHL know about the NHL anyway?

Reactions: Mrb1p

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I don't want to be disrespectful, but when's the last time you heard an NHL draftee's junior coach go out and say "this guy's a knucklehead and won't amount to shit?". What do junior coaches that never touched the NHL know about the NHL anyway?

Agreed but what does that say about every IQ opinion posted here (and taken very seriously)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Keep him the AHL for the whole year. 4 good games doesn't make a player. Let him learn and grow. He'll be ready for the NHL next year.

Ummmm no!

Just throw merit out the window and allow him to find ways to exploit the minor pro game that will be of no use to him in the NHL.....?

The sample is small but is also extremely convincing and he is certainly better than Slaf right now. I am fine with keeping him down for contractual reasons (I believe that keeping him under 40 NHL games is advantageous but can't remember why lol).

Saying that he must stay in Laval even if he keeps this up for the whole season is a developmental crime imo, especially when he is clearly better than a significant portion of your NHL roster.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Ummmm no!

Just throw merit out the window and allow him to find ways to exploit the minor pro game that will be of no use to him in the NHL.....?

The sample is small but is also extremely convincing and he is certainly better than Slaf right now. I am fine with keeping him down for contractual reasons (I believe that keeping him under 40 NHL games is advantageous but can't remember why lol).

Saying that he must stay in Laval even if he keeps this up for the whole season is a developmental crime imo, especially when he is clearly better than a significant portion of your NHL roster.
Why? Do you think the Habs make the playoffs with Roy?
He should stay down there with Farrell and the other guys, win the Calder Cup, and let the Habs draft high again. I think it's pretty obvious the Habs need another top 5 pick more than the 5-7 wins Roy might bring.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Because he would make the Habs better? Caufield played 8 AHL games, Roy will play 15-20 AHL games at most.
What's best for Roy is to simmer down there. No need to call him up after a hot streak and send him back down when his confidence isn't there. That's Bergevin yo-yo-ing at it's finest.

Ummmm no!

Why would it be a developmental crime? He'll be on the team next year. Leading Laval in points and being a top scorer in the AHL for 1 season (his first pro season nonetheless) is certainly not going to hurt his development in any way.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Why? Do you think the Habs make the playoffs with Roy?
He should stay down there with Farrell and the other guys, win the Calder Cup, and let the Habs draft high again. I think it's pretty obvious the Habs need another top 5 pick more than the 5-7 wins Roy might bring.

That is not how you develop prospects.

This is not a video game and you need to acquiesce to merit as players need to know that they are valued and are being handled fairly and professionally. Keeping a developing prospect at a level that they have conquered while intentionally not challenging them at the appropriate level only slows development and any decision with such a result is objectively wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, as I believe he will be the exact same player 5 years down the road regardless of whether he plays in the NHL this season or not but part of the culture building exercise is holding merit above all else. The organization must let all of it's players know that they are competing for their jobs and playing time and will need to bring their "A" game or be replaced by the next wave who are working their asses off to earn that roster spot.

Last edited:

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What's best for Roy is to simmer down there. No need to call him up after a hot streak and send him back down when his confidence isn't there. That's Bergevin yo-yo-ing at it's finest.

Why would it be a developmental crime? He'll be on the team next year. Leading Laval in points and being a top scorer in the AHL for 1 season (his first pro season nonetheless) is certainly not going to hurt his development in any way.

Agreed. Let him marinate down in Laval and work on his game. Tonight was a special night, but there will be tough ones also. Better to learn from those in Laval than getting yo-yo’d around the lineup in Montreal.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
That is not how you develop prospects.

This is not a video game and you need to acquiesce to merit as players need to know that they are valued and are being handled fairly and professionally. Keeping a developing prospect at a level where that they have conquered while intentionally not challenging them at the appropriate level only slows development and any decision with such a result is objectively wrong.

Don't misunderstand me, as I believe he will be the exact same player 5 years down the road regardless of whether he plays in the NHL this season or not but part of the culture building exercise is holding merit above all else. The organization must let all of it's players know that they are competing for their jobs and playing time and will need to bring their "A" game or be replaced by the next wave who are working their asses off to earn that roster spot.
He's had 2 good games out of 4 played. He has not "conquered" the AHL yet by any stretch of the imagination.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I'm torn on the scouting procedures that somehow contributed to us picking a guy in the 5th round, who will inevitably outscore the guy we picked 1st overall

1697861926386.png

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Everything seems so easy for Roy. It's crazy. He 's like a painter with the puck.
Everything is probably in slow motion for him, he's extremely quick with his reflexes and his thinking, that's why he's so clutch and I think what makes him elite, and it should transfer to the NHL as well. I think he'll be a top 6 player for us.

Reactions: Kimota and covfefe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad