Prospect Info: Joshua Roy Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It all depends on how well he is doing. I still think and i will always think that the whole "got to keep the kids in the AHL for 7 years" mentality is ridiculous. We lost good players in the past without getting anything in return like Conroy or Bauchemin because of that mentality. Now i know i'm exaggerating with the 7 years but it really is a case by case basis.

If after 40 games Roy has 60 points and his dominating the league and it's too easy for him there really is no reason to keep him there for a full year. Bruins called up Pasternak after 25 games when they saw he was too strong for the AHL. Now obviously it's too soon to tell calling him up now after only two games would make no sense.
From a contract management point of view, Roy will be UFA one year later if he is on the Habs roster for maximum 39 games.

This hardly matters if he will be a star who gets an 8 year contract after ELC, but he likely won't be at
that level. I see no harm in him playing a half season in the AHL and then coming up if he is ready.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
From a contract management point of view, Roy will be UFA one year later if he is on the Habs roster for maximum 39 games.

This hardly matters if he will be a star who gets an 8 year contract after ELC, but he likely won't be at
that level. I see no harm in him playing a half season in the AHL and then coming up if he is ready.
We still have too many guys up right now, wait till someone else is injured in the forwards or if the 2nd line continues to struggle

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We still have too many guys up right now, wait till someone else is injured in the forwards or if the 2nd line continues to struggle
The way things are going this week, we might trade Pearson for a first rounder sometime after the 42nd game, then bring up Roy to take his place. LOL.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
That for sure is the smart play. However, are they smart?

Pearson might get you a 3rd round pick.
Aim for a 2025 third rounder, Just keep adding higher picks for that draft and have Hughes cast a spell over all the other GMs before that draft.

Dvorak for a 2nd rounder and a 3rd rounder in 2025!

Anderson for a 1st rounder in 2025 and a prospect.

Monahan for a 1st rounder in 2025, then re-sign him for three years at 4.5M per.

Savard for a 2nd rounder in 2025.

Allen for a 3rd rounder in 2025.

In 2025, Montreal would then have 4 first rounders, 4 second rounders and 4 third rounders to play with for trades or drafting.

MadMslm

Jun 16, 2018
Agreed that the use of the word "dominating" feels both hyperbolic and premature which doesn't take away from the fact that he has been very good through 2 games.

I would however counter the assertion that he should be kept in the AHL all season even if he continues to impress. I think this approach is equally as invalid as keeping a prospect in the NHL who clearly needs to be sent to the AHL. Prospects should always play at the level that challenges them the most but are able to learn and improve at that level. Roy may very well show in relatively short order that he is ready to go to the next level. There will come a point if he continues to progress that playing at a level where he can exploit opportunities that are not commonly available at the next level will become detrimental to the expediting of his development process from minor pro hockey to the NHL.

Ultimately it won't harm his game to stay in the AHL all season but it will slow the ascension to him becoming the final product that he will inevitably become. Perhaps that doesn't matter a whole lot considering that we are not remotely a relevant franchise at the moment in terms of being a championship contender but I strongly believe in running an organization as a meritocracy. Players should be rewarded for sustained demonstrations of progress and should be slotted into the organizational role/position that their contributions and competencies merit whenever circumstances allow for such a move to occur.

I think they should protect him.

You can already see people all over the internet and in the media asking for him to be called up. Things will quickly turn sour if he doesn’t find success after a recall.

Seasons are long and a lot of things can happen over that time. He might be good in the first half before struggling mightily in the second. Or this could happen earlier like he could just do well all season long.

There’s too much unknown. I don’t see any downside at keeping him down the whole year. Let him ride the bus and work his way up slowly because he will definitely face challenges along the way.

For now, they can give RHP and Ylonen more ice time in a more offensive role. Same thing for Heineman when he comes back if there’s more injuries up front.

They have the option to wait and see how things evolve.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I think they should protect him.

You can already see people all over the internet and in the media asking for him to be called up. Things will quickly turn sour if he doesn’t find success after a recall.

Seasons are long and a lot of things can happen over that time. He might be good in the first half before struggling mightily in the second. Or this could happen earlier like he could just do well all season long.

There’s too much unknown. I don’t see any downside at keeping him down the whole year. Let him ride the bus and work his way up slowly because he will definitely face challenges along the way.

For now, they can give RHP and Ylonen more ice time in a more offensive role. Same thing for Heineman when he comes back if there’s more injuries up front.

They have the option to wait and see how things evolve.

This just isn't the correct strategy even though it is not the worst strategy.

It is always best to have a prospect playing at the appropriate level that will challenge him to be his best. In Roy's case there is a good chance that his place will be in the NHL before the season is over.

Making absolute decisions irregardless of evidence is always a poor template to implement.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Houle, the Rocket's head coach suggests the JOSHUA ROY will learn plenty about being a professional in the American League with games scheduled as close together as 5 games in 7 nights!

He says that Roy will be asked to play with a variety of players because of injuries, call-ups or what not.He'll also be asked to play different sides on the PP and is currently getting tons office time at a20-minute average per game.

AHL is good for Roy right now, but he may outgrow it at some point this season, if the Habs are lucky.

I think he'll play in Montreal some time after X-Mas and before the trade deadline.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rookie status should have nothing to do with what level Roy plays at. Maybe if he is at 24 games with a couple to go and the season competitively over AND HE DOES NOT MIND SITTING WHEN HE MERITS PLAYING.

It's a wish list bud. Relax with the nit picking. I have a strategy to not rush prospects and Roy playing most of the games in the AHL this year and less than 25 NHL games is not a horrible situation or "holding him back".

You're talking about him forcing his way and earning NHL games. Sure, that's possible too but I bet you will be evaluating him on points only. You have a blind spot.

Last edited:

Bushero

Oct 4, 2023
Roy is AHL top 6 material atm and far from NHL ready. I'd say his ceiling is Paul Stastny but i give 5% chance for that ever happening.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I believe it's helping us with Dach and Newhook's bridge deals. One more RFA year also helps lower the long term extension after. Slightly

It also helped the Leafs with Nylander in the Knights draft. Because he played less than 22 games in 15/16, he was exempt from the Vegas expansion draft. Will there be another expansion team in the next 2-3 years? Not sure but maybe.

Trying to brush the RFA year saving under the rug is weird.

Reactions: viceroy

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
AHL is good for Roy right now, but he may outgrow it at some point this season, if the Habs are lucky.

I think he'll play in Montreal some time after X-Mas and before the trade deadline.
It's been a long while since I was very excited for an AHLer to be called up. Maybe Gallagher or Subban (not counting Caufield/Kotkaniemis short stints)

SpeedyPotato

Mar 29, 2012
This just isn't the correct strategy even though it is not the worst strategy.

It is always best to have a prospect playing at the appropriate level that will challenge him to be his best. In Roy's case there is a good chance that his place will be in the NHL before the season is over.

Making absolute decisions irregardless of evidence is always a poor template to implement.
I agree, I think he’ll spend most of the season down there and I’m ok with it, but if he’s a PPG after 40-50 I’d try him up here. Worst case he’s not ready and he can keep dominating in the AHL while working on what he’s learned with the Habs

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's a wish list bud. Relax with the nit picking. I have a strategy to not rush prospects and Roy playing most of the games in the AHL this year and less than 25 NHL games is not a horrible situation or "holding him back".

You're talking about him forcing his way and earning NHL games. Sure, that's possible too but I bet you will be evaluating him on points only. You have a blind spot.
No, absolutely not. I don't look only at points for Slaf, Ylonen, RHP or any ther young developing forward. From what I saw in training camp, there's stuff Roy can work on for at least half a season in Laval. Due to his unique birthdate (between July 1 and Sept 15), it makes sense for Hughes to keep his games in the NHL this year to under 40, and unless he is putting up 1.5ppg in Laval for a good 30 games (which he won't), there is no reason to deviate from that approach.

I believe it's helping us with Dach and Newhook's bridge deals. One more RFA year also helps lower the long term extension after. Slightly

It also helped the Leafs with Nylander in the Knights draft. Because he played less than 22 games in 15/16, he was exempt from the Vegas expansion draft. Will there be another expansion team in the next 2-3 years? Not sure but maybe.

Trying to brush the RFA year saving under the rug is weird.
Please re-read. I was indeed suggesting to save the year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Roy is AHL top 6 material atm and far from NHL ready. I'd say his ceiling is Paul Stastny but i give 5% chance for that ever happening.

He's been their best player in 2 of the 3 games, but with prospects it's ALWAYS about progress or the lack of, so there's no way in the world anyone can know what he's going to turn into as projecting when a player will stop progressing is not easy and there are so many various factors that there's no way someone on the outside could know other then guessing and if you mostly lean bust you will be right a lot.

I have had him ranked as the Habs top prospect before but I have a hard time with his physical tools of speed, skating, lower body strength. He's shown good progress though so that's all that matters for now, just keep showing progress and we'll see where he ends up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad