Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.
Don't turn into Gerber.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
And do what? Run with the same goalie tandem again? No, thanks! Hopefully Lou stays away from Reimer. He knows what good goaltending looks like.

which is probably why lou will look at making a trade during the draft or next off season and replacing bernier.

IMO get a vet that has a few years left and see if Sparks,etc can push them out.

Bernify

May 28, 2014
Reimer gets to play on a team that is playoff bound.

Bernier gets to pad his glorious sub .900 save % numbers.

who won?

Bernier gets paid more, and doesn't have to play more games than Reimer to do it.

Bernier clearly won this round

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Bernier gets paid more, and doesn't have to play more games than Reimer to do it.

Bernier clearly won this round

bahahah .. good point, but reimer may be able to bask on the bench for the rest of the season and not worry about coming in because Jones probably won't let in 3 goals on 5 shots..

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I was kind of hoping Bernier would get a fresh start somewhere. Could still happen (likely have to retain a significant amount), but they'll probably ride out his contract (and it's probably the better idea).

Could see them picking up a UFA to tandem with and seeing if he rebounds next year. Or maybe we'll see more Sparks.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
They should probably buy out Bernier over the summer and run with a veteran acquired in a trade and a younger goalie prospect in the fall like Sparks.

Hahaha, just admit it you were wrong. Your boy Raeimer is gone (good riddance). Anybody that has played hockey can see Bernier is much better than him and that's why leafs brass let go Reimer. They had to settle for a bag of pucks cuz nobody wanted to give up anything for him.

Cokenfries

Nov 10, 2014
Reimer gets to play on a team that is playoff bound.

Uhmmm... You mean Reimer gets to sit on the bench and watch a playoff bound team as a backup:handclap:

On the bright side, it a good view from the bench and u don't even have to buy tickets

Bernify

May 28, 2014
Hahaha, just admit it you were wrong. Your boy Raeimer is gone (good riddance). Anybody that has played hockey can see Bernier is much better than him and that's why leafs brass let go Reimer. They had to settle for a bag of pucks cuz nobody wanted to give up anything for him.

May I suggest a username change to "CokenfriesTotesNotaTroll"?

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Amazing.

Bernier fans who haven't said a peep this season coming to gloat. Um, Bernier couldn't be traded because he's one of the worst goalies in the league. The fact that Lou said he made this deal to see what we have in Sparks tells you everything you need to know about Bernier.

Reimer could be back as a UFA. Probably not. But if he does, this board would implode into itself. :)

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Amazing.

Bernier fans who haven't said a peep this season coming to gloat. Um, Bernier couldn't be traded because he's one of the worst goalies in the league. The fact that Lou said he made this deal to see what we have in Sparks tells you everything you need to know about Bernier.

Reimer could be back as a UFA. Probably not. But if he does, this board would implode into itself. :)
lol gotta hand it it you reimer fans. Always optimistic even when the situations bleek. We are leaf fans. Wanted reimer gone back when gust/scrivens were here

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
At least the whole absurd #teamReimer vs #teamBernier is over.
Here's a thought....we could just cheer for the Leafs and want them all to do well!

I'm not sure I really buy into the both goalies suck thing though.
I actually think the combination of our D, and the fan base is a recipe for goaltending problems, and no one will do well over an extended period until the D is improved.

Maybe Dominic Hasek or Marty Broduer in their primes would have faired better, but I honestly doubt it. It is just that as always, the goalie is the last person we see fail, and when they fail red lights flash and hearts are broken.
When the goalie has no faith in his D, bad things happen to his own game, and of course vice versa.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
At least the whole absurd #teamReimer vs #teamBernier is over.
Here's a thought....we could just cheer for the Leafs and want them all to do well!

I'm not sure I really buy into the both goalies suck thing though.
I actually think the combination of our D, and the fan base is a recipe for goaltending problems, and no one will do well over an extended period until the D is improved.

Maybe Dominic Hasek or Marty Broduer in their primes would have faired better, but I honestly doubt it. It is just that as always, the goalie is the last person we see fail, and when they fail red lights flash and hearts are broken.
When the goalie has no faith in his D, bad things happen to his own game, and of course vice versa.
.. You got it. When I coached minor hockey I always had a soft spot for our goalies and by extension, their parents. Not sure there's another position in sports whereby one player takes the brunt of the blame no matter how many mistakes are made in front of him. By the way "Team Reimer" vs "Team Bernier" will probably become "Team Bernier" vs "Team Sparks"...hopefully not.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He needs to mentally find his game again and I don't think this happens on the Leafs.

I think he's moved to the Flames for like a condition 7th this offseason.

His name comes up all the time in local Calgarian sports radio as a rehab project the a flames should get.

spidergoalie

Aug 9, 2009
Kamloops, BC, Canada
You know, I like Bernier, and I wouldn't be surprised if he bounces back next season (not to mention how often goalies struggle in the first year of a contract) but I think what bothers me most about him aside from the brain cramp goals, is that while his technique is really very good, he is too small to be a purely technique goalie.
Even Carey Price needed to learn to be more competitive, more of a battler to make ugly saves when needed. Calmness is good, but Bernier is too calm for his size IMHO.
Even the brain cramp goals....to me it feels like he makes the save movements he "should" make instead of simply seeing and reacting to the puck.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
You know, I like Bernier, and I wouldn't be surprised if he bounces back next season (not to mention how often goalies struggle in the first year of a contract) but I think what bothers me most about him aside from the brain cramp goals, is that while his technique is really very good, he is too small to be a purely technique goalie.
Even Carey Price needed to learn to be more competitive, more of a battler to make ugly saves when needed. Calmness is good, but Bernier is too calm for his size IMHO.
Even the brain cramp goals....to me it feels like he makes the save movements he "should" make instead of simply seeing and reacting to the puck.

He's too small to be an effective starter and his mental gaffes will never go away. I've said it from the beginning, before he arrived. He's not very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad