Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Regardless, Bob is saying the goalie market just got a little better and that can not be bad for us.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
babcock has no time for him because he's lazy off the ice and in practice, has a hard time keeping his head in the game, and isn't much of a teammate either. the first minute goals epidemic is all about mental preparation, and bernier has none. he's just bad for the team in every way.

and you know all that from the outside looking in.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
Judging from the most discerning of tastes, YouTube comments lol, The tide has turned. Bernier isn't beloved by Leaf fans and Reimer has become something of a redemption story. Like Seabiscuit

Reimers cult fans have never left. Even after the past 3 disastrous seasons...any solid play he had in between that time had them come out the woodwork.

hes relateable he's the blue collar worker burke marketed him as. Hope they follow him wherever he goes.

marquee

Apr 7, 2011
I'm not insulted, I merely find it amusing how much bandwagon jumping goes on here. Year ago, pretty much everyone hated Reimer and his guts, now we all love him and want to sign him to 4.5 X 3? I just thihk it's funny and ironic.

yea right. all we've heard the past 3 seasons is how a guy in 35 games deserved to be handed a starters job. :laugh:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Could be his last leafs start

Could be. It's also possible we've seen Reimers last game as a Leaf already.

I don't buy the showcasing Bernier narrative however, as GM's aren't shortsighted and won't make rash decisions based on a few games.

Seems like the more likely scenario is that they're protecting Reimer and don't want to risk injury.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I'm not insulted, I merely find it amusing how much bandwagon jumping goes on here. Year ago, pretty much everyone hated Reimer and his guts, now we all love him and want to sign him to 4.5 X 3? I just thihk it's funny and ironic.

never, ever in a million years lol. 3 years at 4 1/2 for Reimer... what are people thinking. He's returning back to normal. Just a so-so goalie who goes on hot streaks for a little bit and then tanks. Up, down, up, down. Never consistent. He's been on the team far long enough for them to determine that he's not a part of the plan moving forward.

He's either getting traded, re-signed to a bare minimum deal or will be let go at season's end.

Mad Brills*

I don't buy the showcasing Bernier narrative however, as GM's aren't shortsighted and won't make rash decisions based on a few games.

Seems like the more likely scenario is that they're protecting Reimer and don't want to risk injury.

Yeah, I think they move a goalie between now and monday at 3.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

That would make sense.
Maybe they give Bernier next year to decide what to do with him, or to help increase his trade value

HockeyCA

Dec 15, 2009
Leafs aren't going to win anything until they get a franchise G. And I don't think that player is currently on the roster or in the system. So how do they acquire that player? Who is coming up in UFA? No one I can think of. So it seems like that player will have to come through the draft, unless there is a trade? They probably should have gone after Jones last offseason.. But alas. Jones is the player everyone though Bernier was going to be, except I guess the Kings knew better, since they traded Bernier in part because they knew they had Jones waiting in the wings to back up Quick.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
babcock has no time for him because he's lazy off the ice and in practice, has a hard time keeping his head in the game, and isn't much of a teammate either. the first minute goals epidemic is all about mental preparation, and bernier has none. he's just bad for the team in every way.
To be fair reimer has let in more first goals than bernier by far this year. Either both have that sme issue or its a collective team issue. Out of reimers last 20 starts he let in the first goal 17 times iirc (I am guestimating here) but that is a pretty close guess.
Call a spade a spade. If one isn't good enough for said reason and the other is also guilty of it, then both are nt good enough, or there is a different summation for both.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
To be fair reimer has let in more first goals than bernier by far this year. Either both have that sme issue or its a collective team issue. Out of reimers last 20 starts he let in the first goal 17 times iirc (I am guestimating here) but that is a pretty close guess.
Call a spade a spade. If one isn't good enough for said reason and the other is also guilty of it, then both are nt good enough, or there is a different summation for both.

He said "first minute goals". can someone please provide stats on first minute goals? My hypothesis is a spade isn't a spade.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Now that Reimer is gone, the Bernier fans will have no hated counterpart in the Leafs crease that they can't bear to see succeed. So hopefully they will admit that Bernier is a useless lump and not live in denial just because they hate the alternative.

It will be interesting to see what happens with our goalie situation this summer. Right now we have a negative value pseudo-starter backup, a career backup, and a couple of kids.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Now that Reimer is gone, the Bernier fans will have no hated counterpart in the Leafs crease that they can't bear to see succeed. So hopefully they will admit that Bernier is a useless lump and not live in denial just because they hate the alternative.

It will be interesting to see what happens with our goalie situation this summer. Right now we have a negative value pseudo-starter backup, a career backup, and a couple of kids.

They're for sure trying to shop Bernier but who would take him right now?

May as well keep him for the tank. The new goalie also helps the tank.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
That would make sense.
Maybe they give Bernier next year to decide what to do with him, or to help increase his trade value

He has the rest of this season, and if Babcock is still exasperated with him, I assume he's gone in the summer and we bring in a replacement.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Reimer traded. Bernier folds like a cheap tent?

if the leafs call up sparks, does bernier go back to being a backup?

then again.. Stalock would give Bernier a run for his money as well.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
They're for sure trying to shop Bernier but who would take him right now?

May as well keep him for the tank. The new goalie also helps the tank.

Bernier gets a long leash because of his draft position. So I imagine they feed him starts down the stretch and hope he boosts his value for a trade in the summer.

If a team like Carolina wanna send us Ward and a pick now, I'd jump though.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Reimer traded. Bernier folds like a cheap tent?

if the leafs call up sparks, does bernier go back to being a backup?

then again.. Stalock would give Bernier a run for his money as well.

I'm just happy the excuses are over. He has no scapegoat to protect him now.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Bernier gets a long leash because of his draft position. So I imagine they feed him starts down the stretch and hope he boosts his value for a trade in the summer.

If a team like Carolina wanna send us Ward and a pick, I'd jump though.

well they called up sparks, if he stays up, I could certainly see the babcock playing sparks over bernier.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
well they called up sparks, if he stays up, I could certainly see the babcock playing sparks over bernier.

Maybe just until Stalock arrives? Either way, playing the kid is bad for business when you need to hope Bernier raises his value.

I hate to see the guy get handed unearned starts, trust me, but practically speaking it's got to happen.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Now that Reimers gone, all I want is Bernier gone, I can't really put my finger on why but I want him to just.

UGRxi3l.jpg

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto

Reimer gets traded and yet you've posted 5 of the last 10 posts in the Bernier thread for some bizarre reason. And somehow the Bernier fans are bad? Kind of hypocritical.

#TeamBernier won. :sarcasm:

Let sleeping dogs lie man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad