Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
and you feel insulted by the same brush on bernier?

again, frankly i don't find his comments that bad. the "it's not the end of the world" should not have been said, but .. it's not the end of the world.

what is being questioned though .. is it having an impact on how babcock is thinking and treating bernier?

there is a difference there.

I'm not insulted, I merely find it amusing how much bandwagon jumping goes on here. Year ago, pretty much everyone hated Reimer and his guts, now we all love him and want to sign him to 4.5 X 3? I just thihk it's funny and ironic.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't want to overanalyze what Bernier said there but it comes across as a guy who has zero confidence and is trying to look composed knowing he's probably out of chances with the Leafs. It's neither the case that he's nonchalant or flippant but you can't really come out and say "I'm done-zo."

I really wonder what's wrong with this Bernier/Babcock relationship. Babs hates this guy!

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I think he can still be a decent NHLer.

He obviously has skill - it just seems as if the Leafs are Not the organization for that to happen.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'd expect some sort of canned response by the majority of players. I think Bernier is a little naive in the sense that he has a tendency to speak his mind, for better or worse.

for me - I don't know. i get the canned response - but I don't know if the right answer to "do you think you blew your chances." is "i don't know - it's not the end of the world."

just like I took Reimer to task (big time) - to his "oh yeah, I totally think i'm playing great" and Rome was literally burning around his crease. No. you are not playing great. Maybe it's not "the end of the world" but at the same time - i would be very, very concerned if i blew my chance with the coach whose going to be around a heck of a lot longer than me. AND the guy who i am competing with a job for - has no contract w/the team.

i think you can totally speak your mind - but I guess - ownership/awareness of what your saying is needed.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I really wonder what's wrong with this Bernier/Babcock relationship. Babs hates this guy!

Ditto.

Frankly I think for the most part he's been playing pretty good since his AHL stint, and certainly deserved more starts this year. and the goaltenders are really the last to blame for this sad sack team.

Neither bernier and reimer should have fingers pointed at them.

but still .. what the heck is with babcock and bernier? you could just see his reaction last night in the post game that something was not all good there.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Ditto.

Frankly I think for the most part he's been playing pretty good since his AHL stint, and certainly deserved more starts this year. and the goaltenders are really the last to blame for this sad sack team.

but still .. what the heck is with babcock and bernier? you could just see his reaction last night in the post game that something was not all good there.

It isn't personal. Babcock hates losing especially when he can see the Leafs were competing in the first 7 minutes. Bernier isn't a bad goalie. He is ill suited to this team especially in such an arduous time in our history. Babcock broke it down plainly when he said it is about performance and results.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I don't want to overanalyze what Bernier said there but it comes across as a guy who has zero confidence and is trying to look composed knowing he's probably out of chances with the Leafs. It's neither the case that he's nonchalant or flippant but you can't really come out and say "I'm done-zo."

I have a feeling that Bernier's stylish leanings and love of being in the spotlight (TV, for example) rubs an old-school 25-dollar-Marks-Work-Wearhouse-plad-shirt-wearing guy the wrong way.

I think Bernier needs a new setting. The psychological effect of being around someone who doesn't like or believe in you can be profound. Especially if you're sensitive and/or don't have the thickest skin.

I have a feeling (just speculating here) that Phaneuf had a similar effect on some players. He's gone and all of a sudden Gardner and Marincin's confidence seems to have shot up.

Never underestimate what a bad dynamic can do to someone, psychologically.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
That's not what I asked. What's the harm in keeping Bernier for another year when he's a very likely bounce back candidate? Seems like certain posters want him gone just for the sake of change, and aren't thinking rationally. It's not like we're desperate for cap space either.

If you can trade him that's fine. Waiving him serves the Leafs no purpose.

Agreed that he's bound to bounce back somewhat, at least that's the logical potential. But if he returns to a ~.905 save % next season from his .895 of now, is that really a valuable improvement? That's still a below average save percentage and what are we going to get for a below average goalie on an expiring contract?

The notion was that it would have been dumb to get rid of him last summer, from the standpoint that his value was at an all-time low. But it got even lower, and eventually it comes to the point where he's unplayable, unmoveable, and you just need to waive him.

MikeBabchuk

Mike Bobcat
May 24, 2013
Toronto
Ditto.

Honestly though he's had every opportunity. Reimer not only got injured but Sparks as well. Just when Bernier blew his perfect chance to take back the job, Sparks got injured and Bernier just couldn't take an opportunity. It's been the same deal every time.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I'm not insulted, I merely find it amusing how much bandwagon jumping goes on here. Year ago, pretty much everyone hated Reimer and his guts, now we all love him and want to sign him to 4.5 X 3? I just thihk it's funny and ironic.

It's true, I couldn't believe how everyone loved Bernier when his stats were not better than Reimer's. Fans said Reimer sucks, Bernier is better even when stats proved otherwise. This year many Bernier fans have taken a huge leap of his bandwagon, they're not really supporting Reimer, but they have stopped defending Bernier's continued poor play.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
I don't care about Bernier's post-game comment just like I didn't care about Reimer's comments last year.

In fact, as a blanket rule, unless it's egregious, I don't care about anything players say post-game to reporters. Reporters are annoying, and fish for angles to tell stories. They're not in it to tell the truth about a player, they're in it to sell stories.

What can Bernier say in that situation? If he says, "yeah I was really bad," how does that help his confidence? It's NOT the end of the world, goalies have to have bad memories and move on. That's all I got from that. Nothing to read into, in my opinion.

In fact, the reporter who said "how about Reimer?" that was a little unnecessary. He's competing against Reimer and it's frankly embarrassing to have to say "yeah the guy I'm up against did a great job after I was pulled" and yet Bernier did it. So props to him.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
^ agreed about that being unnecessary. That was a low blow imo. However I do take what players and management say post game. Whatever comes out of their mouth reflects their inner character.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
Another conditioning stint is in order - that way the Marlies win and get more shutouts and Sparks gets more NHL experience

That doesn't help his trade value though. I say start him next game, hope for a shutout and offload the contract.

That's how trades work right? :sarcasm:

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013

okay I have to post this.. 2:24.. hilarious.

"really economical in goal.. except for that."

My apologies, I'm not trying to bash him here .. but I had to laugh at millen - I don't know if i ever heard the announcers on that one.

:popcorn:

The very last goal in that clip it appears as though Bernier intentionally let it in.... perhaps he's being blackmailed by the mob.

81Reasons

Nov 21, 2013
I have a feeling that Bernier's stylish leanings and love of being in the spotlight (TV, for example) rubs an old-school 25-dollar-Marks-Work-Wearhouse-plad-shirt-wearing guy the wrong way.

I think Bernier needs a new setting. The psychological effect of being around someone who doesn't like or believe in you can be profound. Especially if you're sensitive and/or don't have the thickest skin.

I have a feeling (just speculating here) that Phaneuf had a similar effect on some players. He's gone and all of a sudden Gardner and Marincin's confidence seems to have shot up.

Never underestimate what a bad dynamic can do to someone, psychologically.

You may be on to something here. It seems the Mandela comment sunk his season last year, and the coach losing faith in him (rightly so) this year sent him into a further tailspin. He really needs a change of scenery next year on a team that has no aspirations of competing but needs to get to the cap floor. Under that "no pressure" scenario he might be able to pull it together.

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
When is a below .910 save percentage since his stint in the AHL good exactly?

The guys head has never been in the game and never will be. Good to see all of the excuses that were used on him have dried up now.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

okay I have to post this.. 2:24.. hilarious.

"really economical in goal.. except for that."

My apologies, I'm not trying to bash him here .. but I had to laugh at millen - I don't know if i ever heard the announcers on that one.

:popcorn:

just a terrible goalie.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
Lou and company won't have a problem offloading JB if that's the route they decide to go. Opposing GMs will say something to the effect:
"I thought he'd been doing pretty well for a while now? He took a lot of heat after his last outing? Let me see those goals. Whaaat? That last-place, craptard team must be giving away scoring chances like tax breaks at election time if they think those are bad goals. Make a deal."

Ad

Ad

Ad