Jonathan Bernier - Player Discussion 2016

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
True. My hope was someone would claim him on waivers.

Whenever I write that thought on this board, people jump on and say of course some team will claim him.

I'd like to put that to the test.

maybe calgary would take a chance on him.. what do they have to lose?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
if babcock really doesn't like / want bernier - I'd rather see the man try and get his career back on track somewhere else.

wouldn't you?

can you see him getting a fair chance here?

That's not what I asked. What's the harm in keeping Bernier for another year when he's a very likely bounce back candidate? Seems like certain posters want him gone just for the sake of change, and aren't thinking rationally. It's not like we're desperate for cap space either.

If you can trade him that's fine. Waiving him serves the Leafs no purpose.

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
That's not what I asked. What's the harm in keeping Bernier for another year when he's a very likely bounce back candidate? Seems like certain posters want him gone just for the sake of change, and aren't thinking rationally. It's not like we're desperate for cap space either.

Not being desperate for cap space shouldn't predicate your strategy. Ridding yourself of a 4.1m contract for next year serves as an asset. Will Bernier clear waivers? Probably, but why not try? If a team takes his contract, you get 4.1m in relief.

In October, if a team said "we'd like to take Bernier's contract", that would be an opportunity to offload it. In December, when he hit the AHL, would that team say the same thing?

He is regressing, if we can offload him why not?

Additionally, it allows a player like Sparks to come up and be groomed for the role. It allows you to do different things. I know you feel like he can bounce back. I have been down on Bernier from the day he joined the team. I see what I saw from the beginning and it's gotten worse.

HOWEVER if you get your wish and we keep him, I hope he bounces back in a huge way.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

you missed the "if" part.

babcock truly looks fed up.. would you not agree? did you watch last night's interview?

with all his other comments and actions - can you see bernier getting a fair shot at it while babcock is here?

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
if babcock really doesn't like / want bernier - I'd rather see the man try and get his career back on track somewhere else.

wouldn't you?

can you see him getting a fair chance here?

Babcock will probably start him on back to backs or in case of injury. I don't think Bernier will get another shot like he did last night.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Considering the defensive blunders going on all over the ice, Babcock throwing Bernier under the bus like he did was total bush league. Maybe he's trying to deflect attention from the fact his team is playing like blunderheads all over the ice or the fact that, after MLSE had to pay for the whole Clarkson/Horton fiasco, Lou-urns decides to take Michael freaking Grabner's salary on board. These guys should look in the mirror instead of just scapegoating the guys on the team with the hardest job and the least responsibilty for this mess.

Exactly, Babcock doesn't want to be resonsible when they tank and trade players away. Before the season they traded and signed players for only 1 year so they can easily be traded at the deadline, but then they say they want to win. Babcock should blame himself in the first place, running down both goalies to injury in the first 2 month. A donkey could do better giving random starts.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
i would say removing a defeastist attitude - is what the Leafs have to lose

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
It seems like a bad rift between him and Babcock. You might be right about the practice sessions. It can't just be his play right?

there must be something else.

Bernier has one year remaining on a two-year contract inked just before an arbitration ruling last summer. He acknowledged that another opportunity had slipped through his grasp.

"Yes I guess, but that's not the end of the world," said Bernier, noticeably disappointed. "I've just got to stick with it. I thought my game's been better. Tonight wasn't my game, but I've got to turn the page."

Good God.. "it's not the end of the world".. that'll go over well i'm sure.

Last edited:

eddieO

Jan 9, 2013
The Beach
there must be something else.

I don't know the shooting schedule of Hockey Wives but it could be that. I know a lot of unscripted (they don't like saying "reality") producers and the demand they put on their cast is heavy. They not only ask them to be in scenes but to help come up with situations and ideas for the show. That could easily have been a burden on Bernier as well.

The pressure to have an unscripted show be a "hit" is pretty big. I've seen it take a toll on people because they have to continuously promote the show, attend parties, generally be out there.

ALSO I've seen it change the perception of other people around you. People sometimes think you're vain because you're on a reality show. Did that cause a rift? No idea. Just some food for thought.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I don't know the shooting schedule of Hockey Wives but it could be that. I know a lot of unscripted (they don't like saying "reality") producers and the demand they put on their cast is heavy. They not only ask them to be in scenes but to help come up with situations and ideas for the show. That could easily have been a burden on Bernier as well.

The pressure to have an unscripted show be a "hit" is pretty big. I've seen it take a toll on people because they have to continuously promote the show, attend parties, generally be out there.

ALSO I've seen it change the perception of other people around you. People sometimes think you're vain because you're on a reality show. Did that cause a rift? No idea. Just some food for thought.

true.. that show seems to have caused a fair amount of players to have bad years it seems.

I don't think his comments such as after last night do him any favors..

when asked about missing his chance to take back #1 .. "it's not the end of the world..." what kind of compete level is that?

I mean hecck it's true .. you get to watch hockey games from the end of the bench and track faceoffs and get paid 50,000 a game to do so.

but stillllll

and remember early in the season.. him saying .. oh well, at least it wasn't game 7 ..

things like that I would imagine do not sit well with an ultra competitive coach.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
wait....
Babcock gives him another chance to get the job and run with it

he poops the bed, and he goes it's not the end of the world? was that in french? was it translated wrong?

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas

okay I have to post this.. 2:24.. hilarious.

"really economical in goal.. except for that."

My apologies, I'm not trying to bash him here .. but I had to laugh at millen - I don't know if i ever heard the announcers on that one.

:popcorn:

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
:shakehead

"it's not the end of the world..."

I don't have an issue with it personally. Bernier is public enemy #1 right now and everything is over-analyzed big time. Does it suck that he laid an egg in a game he had a chance to cast doubt on the #1 job? Yeah, absolutely. But "it's not the end of the world" like he put it. Perspective people.

Go in practice, work hard, and be ready when your shot comes again. This is a typical "mountain out of a molehill" narrative that plagues these boards. It's a non-story, seriously people.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I don't have an issue with it personally. Bernier is public enemy #1 right now and everything is over-analyzed big time. Does it suck that he laid an egg in a game he had a chance to cast doubt on the #1 job? Yeah, absolutely. But "it's not the end of the world" like he put it. Perspective people.

Go in practice, work hard, and be ready when your shot comes again. This is a typical "mountain out of a molehill" narrative that plagues these boards. It's a non-story, seriously people.

we were musing if there was something else between Bernier and Babcock.

comments like that .. or the "oh well, at least it wasn't game 7, thank god."..

Do you think that sits well with babcock?

he hates to lose. To put it this way - if Phaneuf gave the puck away that led to the winning goal, and said "oh well, it wasn't game 7.. " or any other player on the team - what would be said about it?

they'd be tarred and feathered.

how about reilly saying it after turning the puck over that led to the winning goal a few nights ago?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
we were musing if there was something else between Bernier and Babcock.

comments like that .. or the "oh well, at least it wasn't game 7, thank god."..

Do you think that sits well with babcock?

he hates to lose. To put it this way - if Phaneuf gave the puck away that led to the winning goal, and said "oh well, it wasn't game 7.. " or any other player on the team - what would be said about it?

they'd be tarred and feathered.

how about reilly saying it after turning the puck over that led to the winning goal a few nights ago?

I'd expect some sort of canned response by the majority of players. I think Bernier is a little naive in the sense that he has a tendency to speak his mind, for better or worse.

Glad to see your relishing his failure, you've been posting about Bernier the whole day, give it a rest.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I'd expect some sort of canned response by the majority of players. I think Bernier is a little naive in the sense that he has a tendency to speak his mind, for better or worse.

Perhaps, but as a seasoned vet of almost 7 seasons of hockey at the NHL level, you'd think he'd be more PC.

all we are speculating is why there seems to be such a lack of patience with babcock when it comes to bernier.

Glad to see your relishing his failure, you've been posting about Bernier the whole day, give it a rest.

Frankly I feel bad for him, he has great talent, but if the coach does not believe in him, it will go to waste.

Odd though how you can post about reimer in the other thread pretty much continually though ..

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
I do find it a little ironic how we've come full circle on this. Just a year ago many posters were over analyzing every comment Reimer made in the media. Some even took them as far to say Reimer had asked for a trade and didn't want to be here anymore, combined with his play on the ice as evidence.

Anyway, there's alot of hate towards Bernier right now, so I'll let the "you guys" continue to pile on.

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
I do find it a little ironic how we've come full circle on this. Just a year ago many posters were over analyzing every comment Reimer made in the media. Some even took them as far to say Reimer had asked for a trade and didn't want to be here anymore, combined with his play on the ice as evidence.

and you feel insulted by the same brush on bernier?

again, frankly i don't find his comments that bad. the "it's not the end of the world" should not have been said, but .. it's not the end of the world.

what is being questioned though .. is it having an impact on how babcock is thinking and treating bernier?

there is a difference there.

let's face it.. babcock is treating bernier poorly .. other players aren't playing that well, and not performing up to expectations, but babcock isn't tossing them under the boss is he? so why just bernier?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad